Thread: 6PPC or 6BR?

Desert

6PPC or 6BR?

I got the itch to build a new rifle after finishing my last project. So I have decided on either a 6mmPPC or 6mmBR. Here is my question.

I have several Stevens 200 actions so that is what I will use. It will most likely be a single-shot as well. I would like to keep the barrel at 20inches, 22inches max. Now I know that the 6PPC will work great with the 20" length, but what about the 6BR? Will I give up to much with the shorter (20") barrel and the 6BR to make it worthwhile?

I am not dead set on either ctg., but the shorter barrel is a big concern for me. Thanks

The larger powder volume in the BR will give higher velocities for equal barrel lengths and operating pressures.

Go here to get an estimate of velocity changes with barrel length: http://shootersnotes.com/calculator/velocity-estimator/

If you are starting with the .473" bolt face, the BR will be easier since you won't have to swap bolt heads.

If you are starting with a bolt for the 7.62x39 (~0.440" bolt face) then the PPC is easier.

If you are starting with a bolt face for the .223 then both are equally challenging, leaving the decision to other factors.

I have a BRX I noticed a big difference over the regular BR.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Desert
    I have two short actions. One is a factory .223 so I could have Sharpshooter modify it for the PPC, and I also have an action that was a .243 so it would have the right bolt face for the BR. I'm leaning toward the BR if it will work in a 20". I will use the Lapua version with a no turn neck.

Going with the BR Norma vice the BR Remington is a good idea if one wants to use longer bullets. The BR Norma has a much longer throat, allowing the use of VLD bullets weighing more than 100 grains. This helps realize the long range potential of the cartridge.

The short barrel is not an issue in deciding between the two cartridge options. It does, however, make a difference if one is trying to squeeze the last fps out of the shot. Even then, the ranking of velocities will still align with cartridge volume for a fixed barrel length and pressure environment.

gotcha
    The 6PPC is the hands down winner in 100 & 200 Yd Benchrest. At 300+ yds the extra velocity of the BR edges out the PPC. A 8 twist BR will shoot the entire range of bullets ( light to heavy ). Add the potential difficulty of 220 Russian brass forming and/or choosing the European brass sources for the PPC,.. I'd rather shoot a 6BR throated for the 105 to 108 class bullets. Use a .271" or .272" no turn neck and load'em & shoot'em into bug holes. .......... But that's just me. Your requirements may be different.