Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage Customer Service

Basic Member

Savage Customer Service

I bought a model 110 about a decade ago from an individual but actually know little more than that about the rifle. I was thinking about contacting Savage to see if they can tell me things like when the gun was produced, when it was originally sold, etc. I've also heard that their CS sucks. Is this true? If I do call, would they be able to give me information about my gun or is the whole thing a waste of time? I really just want to know more about it. I bought it when I was 18. Shortly thereafter I joined the military and handed it off to my brother for safe keeping who had it until about six mos ago. By the time he returned it I'd completely forgotten about it so Christmas did indeed come early. Now that I've been shooting it, I've come to adore it. Perhaps someone out there can help me out prior to calling Savage. All I know is that it's a model 110 chambered in 30-06. I have the SN of course but is there other model variations that I might need to know about? (eg. Remington model 700 SPS/ SPS AAC-SD/ etc.)

Basic Member
    You can try https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder. Enter the rifle's S/N. If its not too old it will come up with the date of manufacture, model and a parts diagram.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

I don't know how there CS would be about historical information, but what I do know is their current production models CS is Great!

I recently had to send back a 111XP in 30-06 as I had discovered what looked to be a ring in the barrel about 1.5 inches back from the muzzle. Savage paid for shipping both ways and installed a new barrel. Took it on the range about a week ago, and I'm extremely pleased. Rifle shoots .5 - .75 3 shot groups with my 150 Sierra loads all day long.

They turned this in 2.5 weeks! They also went out of their way to send me a large knob bolt handle at no charge.

Your mileage may vary, but the service I have received has been super. Guess that's why I keep buying them.

Bill
    [B][I]"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair."[/I][/B]
    General George S. Patton Jr.

Basic Member
    Savage has one of the best customer support departments in the business. However, there are some good reasons why they only provide parts and so on for guns made under the current ownership. Once I called for trigger information on a first model 110 that was made in about 1960. They referred me to a former employee who gave me great information , even though it was not what I wanted to hear. The good news is that after the first generation, most subsequent parts will fit new or old rifles and there are many sources of those parts.

Basic Member
    Maybe if you post a pic members here can tell you a whole lot about it. Based on what you've already said, though, you already know all that's important.

Also, in regards to Savage CS, they've always done well by me. I wouldn't expect them to be able to tell you much about your particular rifle, though. It is what it is, and they made a lot of them, and sold them cheap... Some are flat backs, some are round. Some are stagger feed, some are center feed. Some have detachable magazines, some do not. Some of them have good, smooth, tight actions, some rattle and/or hang-up. Some have cheap but functional hardwood stocks, some are nice walnut stocks. None of them come with nice plastic stocks, but nearly all of them shoot very well.
    Last edited by foxx; 10-05-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info/advice guys. I'm content to take this gun for what I know it to be and let it go at that. I've been considering dumping a little money into it by way of a new manners stock, perhaps cutting the barrel down a little to make it more maneuverable or replacing it altogether with a shorter, heavier contour, and maybe adding a larger bolt knob. I'm impressed with its exceptionally smooth action (plenty of break-in time over many years) and reliable feeding. It just feels like a solid, go-to deer, target/tactical rifle and, in my book atleast, that's like an ultrareliable employee, you invest in them so they in turn invest in you.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Maybe if you post a pic members here can tell you a whole lot about it. Based on what you've already said, though, you already know all that's important.

Also, in regards to Savage CS, they've always done well by me. I wouldn't expect them to be able to tell you much about your particular rifle, though. It is what it is, and they made a lot of them, and sold them cheap... Some are flat backs, some are round. Some are stagger feed, some are center feed. Some have detachable magazines, some do not. Some of them have good, smooth, tight actions, some rattle and/or hang-up. Some have cheap but functional hardwood stocks, some are nice walnut stocks. None of them come with nice plastic stocks, but nearly all of them shoot very well.
    I'd love to throw a pic up for yall but I'm pretty new to this forum and don't know how to do it. Tips anybody?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdoc173 View Post
    I'd love to throw a pic up for yall but I'm pretty new to this forum and don't know how to do it. Tips anybody?

Basic Member
    Oops...figured it out

Basic Member

Basic Member
    Any idea what kind of bases are on it, or are they base/ring combo's?

Basic Member
    The rings are Weaver Quad Locks and they are a great value. The local Wallyworld sells them for $11-$12. This set looks like it has an extended front ring. The standard Quad Locks are the ring of choice for me. Obviously the bases are Weaver also. Typically with a flat back Savage you use a #61 on the rear and a #46 on the front with the extended #402 a good option for a short scope on a long action. Lots of guys use a one piece base, but I like the two piece bases because it gives me easier access for loading and unloading. BTW, I like the camo job on the stock.
    Last edited by LHitchcox; 10-08-2014 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Added more info

Basic Member
    I was looking at the front ring being on an angle. Looks like a good option for a 2 piece base on a long action for a shorter body scope.

JCalhoun
    Judging by the rear bolt assembly screw and the bolt handle I'd say it's a mid 1980's or earlier production.

Basic Member
    I don't know what the rings are for sure but I wanna say they're Weaver. You're right. I had a buddy at my local range put them on for me as a replacement for the high-profile rings that came on the gun along with the scope. The scope itself was a model el cheapo. It was on the gun when I purchased it 10 years ago. In fact, since those pictures were taken about two months ago the scope died on me (good riddance). So I decided to discard the scope, rings,and two-piece base in favor of a one-piece base from Warne and most likely a Burris Veracity 3-15x50mm. The rings that I had on that scope or adequate but I didn't care much for the four individual rings. I'll most likely replace them with a set of Seekins Precision or something similar. I think this is a great gun but does need some upgrading.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    Judging by the rear bolt assembly screw and the bolt handle I'd say it's a mid 1980's or earlier production.
    Good to know. That's what I've been trying to figure out.

JCalhoun
    The rings are Weaver 4X4's.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox View Post
    The rings are Weaver Quad Locks and they are a great value. The local Wallyworld sells them for $11-$12. This set looks like it has an extended front ring. The standard Quad Locks are the ring of choice for me. Obviously the bases are Weaver also. Typically with a flat back Savage you use a #61 on the rear and a #46 on the front with the extended #402 a good option for a short scope on a long action. Lots of guys use a one piece base, but I like the two piece bases because it gives me easier access for loading and unloading. BTW, I like the camo job on the stock.
    Thanks, it's just amazing what my brother can do with a little time and spray paint. I do want to upgrade that stock to some type of composit with an aluminum bedding block in it. But, that in the future

Basic Member
    Thanks, it's just amazing what my brother can do with a little time and spray paint. I do want to upgrade that stock to some type of composit with an aluminum bedding block in it. But, that in the future
    What do you mean when you say ::#61, #46, and #402?

Basic Member
    weaver base numbers

JCalhoun
    Your receiver is a long action, round front/flat rear.

Basic Member

Here's the finished product after the installation of the Warne 1-piece scope base.
    Last edited by Rockdoc173; 10-11-2014 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Wrong picture uploaded

Basic Member

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quarterbore View Post
    weaver base numbers
    Got it! Thanks

JCalhoun
    The multi-slot base is definitely the best way to go. It will allow you use any of the scopes on the market without using extensions. Most scope nowadays have tubes that are fairly short.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast