Thread: Installing Barrel

tackdriving

Installing Barrel

Hi All,

I removed the receiver/barrel on a SA 111 LRH for some modification work and need some guidance on reinstalling. I read the thread titled Proper Torque Sequence for the AccuStock but that does not seem to apply to my setup as I only have two bolts for attaching the receiver/barrel (one long one in the back just forward of the trigger guard and one in front of the magazine). I'm also not sure what the "recoil lug" is or if it even applies to my setup. I assume I should follow the methodology, however, by performing the following sequence of steps.

1. Install the front screw first to 10 in-lbs, then back out one-half turn
    2. Install the rear screw to 10 in-lbs
    3. Repeat 1 and 2 with increasing torque (increments of 5-10?) until it is tightened to 45 in-lbs

Is that the correct sequence? Do you recommend using Blue Locktight or is that overkill?

Thanks, Dave
    Last edited by tackdriving; 10-28-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Basic Member
    I'm going to tell you how I torque my action screws and let a more experienced member correct us both. First I install the from screw (loose) then the rear screw (loose). I then stand the rifle up on the butt plate apply preasure downward on the barrel and hand tighten the front and the back screw. I then tongue the front screw to the desired weight and torque the rear screw to the desired weight.
    Seems to work ok for me.

tackdriving
    So that is what I essentially did; I did the front and then the back to 10 in-lbs and then went back and forth until they were both at 45 in-lbs. Hopefully we're both right. :)

Recoil lug keeps the barreled action from sliding to the rear, when rifle is fired. Lug is located between receiver & barrel nut. No need for Loctite.

Installing Barrel

The torque sequence that you (the OP) outlined only applies to installing in an Accu-stock. Use the method olddave posted for conventional stocks.
    ETA: it applies to Accustocks with the wedge. Accustocks without the wedge, treat as a standard stock.
    Last edited by barrel-nut; 10-28-2014 at 01:16 PM.

tackdriving
    Ok, I *think* I installed this thing correctly. I took the receiver/barrel back off and believe I have identified the "recoil lug" and properly seated it into the corresponding slot in the stock per "short round". Next, following "olddav", I loosely installed the front action screw, then loosely installed the back action screw, and then tightened them in that order up to 40 or 45 in-lbs of torque. I omitted the lock tight per "barrel-nut". I guess I am ready to put some lead down range and see if I did things correctly. thanks guys!

M21Wildcat
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    The torque sequence that you (the OP) outlined only applies to installing in an Accu-stock. Use the method olddave posted for conventional stocks.
    ETA: it applies to Accustocks with the wedge. Accustocks without the wedge, treat as a standard stock.
    olddave's method is also recommended on the HS Precision stocks (just read through my info since I've got a 110FCP HS)

michaelnel
    HS Precision recommends 65 inch pounds for the action screws in their Savage stocks with the aluminum bedding block.