I was at an auction today and made an impulse bid on the rifle in the title. I owned a 99 take down years ago, that was beat to death and this one seemed to call to me.

It has some features unlike my previous 99 and I am curious to know if they are common or not.

From savage99.com I have determined it was manufactured in 1908.

Front sight is a a dovetailed white metal blade. Rear barrel dovetail is filled with a blank. Rear sight is a tang mounted Lyman 1a.

Heavy-ish round barrel. Schnable forend. Straight grip, perch belly buttstock. Smooth steel "Savage Quality" with Indian head buttplate.

On top of barrel between front sight and dovetail for rear sight it says: "Manufactured By the Savage Arms Company, NY USA" w/ three patent dates below the text.

Left side of barrel behind rear dovetail it is marked: "Savage Hi-Pressure Steel" & "Model 1899"
Over chamber it is marked: "SAV. 303"

Two items that I notice are different than the previous rifle I owned.
1) Cocking indicator on TOP of the bolt. My previous 99 had the indicator on the tang.
2) Underside of barrel is NOT marked "OFF" with an arrow. Instead it has the s/n and a stylized "X".

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Some idea on valuation would also be helpful. Obviously, I know what I paid, but being an impulse, I am not sure if I over, or underpaid.

Thank you!

PS I will not be home for a couple of days, so not pictures until then.