Thread: Questions: Model 1899 Take Down in .303 Savage

Basic Member

Questions: Model 1899 Take Down in .303 Savage

I was at an auction today and made an impulse bid on the rifle in the title. I owned a 99 take down years ago, that was beat to death and this one seemed to call to me.

It has some features unlike my previous 99 and I am curious to know if they are common or not.

From savage99.com I have determined it was manufactured in 1908.

Front sight is a a dovetailed white metal blade. Rear barrel dovetail is filled with a blank. Rear sight is a tang mounted Lyman 1a.

Heavy-ish round barrel. Schnable forend. Straight grip, perch belly buttstock. Smooth steel "Savage Quality" with Indian head buttplate.

On top of barrel between front sight and dovetail for rear sight it says: "Manufactured By the Savage Arms Company, NY USA" w/ three patent dates below the text.

Left side of barrel behind rear dovetail it is marked: "Savage Hi-Pressure Steel" & "Model 1899"
    Over chamber it is marked: "SAV. 303"

Two items that I notice are different than the previous rifle I owned.
    1) Cocking indicator on TOP of the bolt. My previous 99 had the indicator on the tang.
    2) Underside of barrel is NOT marked "OFF" with an arrow. Instead it has the s/n and a stylized "X".

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Some idea on valuation would also be helpful. Obviously, I know what I paid, but being an impulse, I am not sure if I over, or underpaid.

Thank you!

PS I will not be home for a couple of days, so not pictures until then.

I know the 1895's had the cocking indicator on top of the bolt, but I'm not familiar with the 1899's to know if that was held over through the early production years of that model as well. Joe (Mad Dog) should be able to help you out next time he pokes his head in, but I dunno if he's back in civilization yet with internet access or not.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks. I'll keep an eye on this thread and hope Joe spots it.

Sounds like a nice one, good luck with it. Joe gave me this info to get a Savage 99 "lettered", and I'm now waiting on the letter from this source to arrive.

Tight groups.

"Here's the ordering info if you would like to get your old Savage firearm lettered by the historian, it's well worth it, as you will usually get a letter stating what your gun left the factory as, when it was accepted at the factory and where it went to when it left the factory, as well as some standard descriptions of your firearm.

Savage 1895, 1899 and 99 guys should know that any lever actions over the serial number of 372XXX will not get as much info as the paperwork on those guns has been destroyed but you will still gets details of the order number.

Mr Callahan can also letter Savage pistols, model 40, 45, 1920, 20/26, shotguns, pretty much anything with a serial number made before WWII.

John T. Callahan
    Savage Arms Historian
    PO Box 82
    Southampton, MA, 01073

New prices as of 12/1/2006:
    - Savage 1895's, 1899's and 99's are $30.00
    - Other Savages are $25.00.
    - Stevens are $20.00.
    - A.H. Fox Sterlingworths-$30.00.
    - Graded doubles are $40.00.

Send him the serial number and some details of the item, allow 5-6 weeks for delivery.
    Make payable to John T. Callahan"

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other!"

Basic Member
    Wow, does a flash and high resolution Android phone camera really wash out the finish in these pictures! It looks sooooo, much better in person.

22" barrel

Nice find. Seeing that pic of the barrel roll stamp it makes me wonder just how many different variations there were on the 99's over the years with all the different patent changes that came along, then the factory moving three times.

BTW, I had the same wash-out problem on the close-up pics of my new TD today with a $1,300 camera so don't feel bad. haha
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain