Thread: Shims on Bolt question

Basic Member

Shims on Bolt question

Took my bolt apart a while back to get rid of the Magnum Bolt Face and replace it with a 308 BF...I've got 2 shims left on the bench...am I correct that they go between the baffle adn the bolt head? Also is there a source for these?

Basic Member
    Shims? If its that wavy thing its the baffle washer. I don't recall one having two however. From the factory they're between the bolt body and baffle but I move them between the baffle and lugs so the baffle doesn't wipe the grease off the lugs.

If you put it between the baffle and lugs you kinda have to watch. There is a fillet(radius) at the junction of the bolthead shaft and lugs so you may have to SLIGHTLY open the bore or it won't seat flush against the lugs. Put the washer in place between the baffle and lugs then squeeze the two together. If you see a gap between the washer and lugs you'll have to open it a smidgeon.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    Shims? If its that wavy thing its the baffle washer. I don't recall one having two however. From the factory they're between the bolt body and baffle but I move them between the baffle and lugs so the baffle doesn't wipe the grease off the lugs.

If you put it between the baffle and lugs you kinda have to watch. There is a fillet(radius) at the junction of the bolthead shaft and lugs so you may have to SLIGHTLY open the bore or it won't seat flush against the lugs. Put the washer in place between the baffle and lugs then squeeze the two together. If you see a gap between the washer and lugs you'll have to open it a smidgeon.

Bill
    Good to know!