Thread: 110 Long Action stock options?

farmerben

110 Long Action stock options?

Just purchased a new Stevens 200 in .270 center feed, blind mag. Looking to upgrade the plastic stock. Found a few places that offer them, but wondering what you guys have and like? Would like something solid for bench and target. Barrel is going to be upgraded as well to a Shilen bull.

Basic Member
    A little guidance, the search function works pretty well on the site. There should be plenty of information to get you going.

Having said that, I went with this one: http://www.eabco.com/store/savage-ri...spacer-system/

farmerben
    Yes yes I searched. Asking what the current opinions are. Leaning toward a Boyds pro varmints at the moment. Seems cheap to me though compared to other options.

farmerben
    Ended up buying the Choate Tactical. Seemed like the best deal for the buck...

Basic Member
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I do the ones I have.

reynoldsfamily3
    I went with the Choate Tactical also. Ordered it from CDI and had them inlet it for their bottom metal. Now waiting on a barrel to complete the project.

Basic Member
    Good information. Did you guys happen to catch the weight on the choate stocks? I thought they were 4# +. I'm looking for a synthetic hunting stock for my 7mm Rem mag but don't want it to be too heavy. Is Bell and Carlson my only choice ?

Basic Member
    I use the pro varmint (formally known as the Tacticool) on my savage 110 300wm, it's significantly lighter than the chaote at 2.8 lbs. just bed it and your set, I sprung for the limbsaver recoil pad add on for an extra $17... It was money well spent

Basic Member
    Is the pro varmint a wood stock?

Yes, it's laminate, but it's painted. For an extra $15 or so, you can get it in a finished laminate color, instead of painted. Some people say the painted ones are made with a cheaper, lighter laminate than if you get it finished. I've got two of the black ones for my two Axis'. Think I'm gonna get a third one for my long action build, they're just too hard to pass up for the money. This one will be a finished laminate though, not painted black.

Basic Member
    Are they pillar bedded? I will bed the stock but want to install pillars if needed. This stock could also see some nasty weather. You guys ok with these being waterproof? Do they carry well in a hunting situation?
    Thanks

Basic Member
    You have to do all the bedding, including the pillars yourself. I carry mine hunting, mine was painted because I didn't want a black stock, but the textured black paint worked awesome as a primer. My gun carries very well. The entire setup of mine weighs right at 10lbs (bipod, sling, big 50mm scope, steel bases and rings). I live and hunt in oregon, so my stock has seen some pretty wet weather and I've been impressed. As long as your barrel is free floated and your action is bedded you shouldn't have a problem.
    I'm trying to put up a couple pics, but this is my first attempt at posting pictures, so I apologize if I do it wrong. -Leo
    <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/Londerko1/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads"></iframe>

Basic Member
    Great comments Londerko. Do you think laminates are more weather hardy than solid wood stocks ?

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by LRPut View Post
    Great comments Londerko. Do you think laminates are more weather hardy than solid wood stocks ?
    Yes! and ill second londerko. i have a few tactocools and they are great, very ergonomic and dont add to much wieght. and its a fun project for painting, bedding ect.

Laminate will still swell or shrink slightly, but would usually be less extreame than solid wood. But if its floated and bedded you shouldnt have any problem!

Basic Member
    I went though this exact dilemma a year ago With my 300wm. And to give you a weight reference, a bell and carlson medalist and an accustock are both right arround 2.5lbs, the chaote is over 4, the hogue full length aluminum is 3. I went with the Boyd's at 2.8, didn't add much weight to the gun. Optics, bases and ring selection are more crucial in weight. I'll try again to put up some pics for you tonight. Apparently I am not as smart as a caveman.

Basic Member

Basic Member
    Now that's a good looking rig !! (Nice muley too!) Where did you pick up your pillars for that stock?

Basic Member
    I didn't pillar bed mine, I may if I have any issues down the road but haven't yet. Some guys make their own with lamp rod, I also think you can get pre made ones on eBay.
    Thanks, the buck is actually a Columbian Blacktail, got him last week

Basic Member
    Is your rifle barrel the factory sporter ? Do you find this stock will shoulder for offhand shots comparable to other stocks of a more traditional field design? Sorry for all the questions, but I gain a lot from yours and others hunting experience with this stock.
    Last edited by KTP; 11-05-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Basic Member
    Yes, it is. I bought the rifle used for $250, planning on putting an aftermarket barrel on it. But to my suprise the factory barrel shot a 5 shot 1/2" group @100yds. So needless to say the barrel stayed on ha ha ha!
    But lots of people use this stock with bigger barrels, it's easy to open it up since it's wood

Basic Member
    It's a little different than a "traditional" stock, it's more designed for long range bipod type shooting. But it shoulders very well, I think the only thing that's really different for me is the "pistol" type grip. This is my first "tactical" type stock. With that being said... That buck was shot off-hand at 75yds running.
    If you want a more traditional stock, check out the Boyd's Praire Hunter. Same laminate wood as mine, and a little more traditional. My brother has one on his long range gun an loves it
    Last edited by Londerko; 11-05-2014 at 08:07 PM.