Thread: Stevens Model 67L Series E 12 gauge

cessna16

Stevens Model 67L Series E 12 gauge

Hello everyone,

My name is Cristian and this is my first Stevens or Savage shotgun I've ever owned and I do not find much information on the internet about the serial number on my model of shotgun.

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me a little bit more about when my shotgun was made and what kind of choke it has in it.

The serial number is E799583, it has the non-vent rib barrel, so just a plain jane barrel with a single bead. I can fit a dime in the muzzle, so I can tell it's a little more open than full choke, I believe it's either a light full choke or a tight modified (this is something I'm definitely curious about. Looks to be a 28 inch barrel, although I just got it yesterday and haven't officially measured it yet.

My gut feeling is telling me that It was made in the late 70's or early 80's, but I definitely wanted an opinion with some experts here. I didn't see a sticky thread or other article linking serial numbers with these vintage shotguns.

From what I can tell so far it seems like a solid pump action shotgun. No frills, just down to business performance. At least that's what I experienced last night as I tested the barrels pattern a little at 40 yards with #8 shot. Can't wait to see how it handles #4 shot to hopefully be able to take some waterfoul or turkey with it. The entire reason why I bought it was because it was a no frills field shotgun that I feel can be versatile and it had a great price of $139 at a trusted local gun range and skeet shop.

Hoping anyone can give me as much information as they can about my particular shotgun. Thank you in advance. If you need anymore information from me to better assist you in your search please let me know.

CP

I'm going to say mid to late 1980's as they made the change from the E to the F S/N prefix at the start of the 1989 production year (Nov 1988).

As for what choke it is, are there any asterisk's stamped on the barrel by the receiver?

* = full choke
    ** = modified
    *** = improved cylinder
    **** = cylinder

If there's no asterisk stamp anywhere then it's also a full choke as at some point they simply stopped putting the one on to indicate full.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

cessna16
    On the top of the barrel just coming out of the receiver I have what appears to be a number 7 and SP9 encircicled by a circle and there is an additional stamp that has faded it looks like it says SP

Scoutsout
    The shotgun you have was made in the 80's. I have the same gun with the same markings. It has a modified choke. Disassembly is a bit of a trick until you realize that the buttstock bolt must be removed with a long handled screwdriver first. Then, everything comes apart pretty easily. I love mine. It's been my go to field gun for a couple of decades.