Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1000 yard gun

Basic Member

I've used a regular staggerfeed LA for a number of short action builds, didn't change a thing and they fed fine.

Rifle started out as a Stevens 200 30-06 (IIRC) unscrewed the barrel, had the action T&T'd, installed a RB trigger and started shooting. It's been everything from a 243 to a 7mm-08 to a 338-06 and about to be a 300 win mag.

Long actions shoot just as well as the shorts, they're just more versatile.

I love when someone jumps in without reading the thread and begins to educate you.

As you have realized, you can use a long or short action, the 6.5 CM will leave you plenty of room to seat bullets long in a short action. The .308 would not be on my list for a dedicated 1000 yard gun as the others you have mentioned will offer much better ballistics.

Which model 12 action was the fellow offering you for $400? If it was a 12 LRP, LRPV, F/TR, F-Class or other form of target model from Savage then it may actually be the Precision Target Action, in which case, $400 is a pretty good deal.
    More shooting, less typing.

D.ID
    "To hold 5-6" at 1000 yd will take a VERY carefully assembled rifle with a quality stock pillar bedded and glass bedded. It will also take a custom barrel as well as at least a Savage Precision Target Action (single shot only) with a carefully adjusted trigger.
    Did I mention that this gun will set you back $3000 in parts not to mention the gunsmith assembling it!
    I shoot 600-1000 yd practice every Monday and, yes, once in a while a hunting rifle will come on the line just to see what it will do and the shooter will get on paper and even sometimes do a 10" or so group, but this gun is usually a high end custom built rifle. Most often, these curious hunters will not even get on paper at 1000 yd![/QUOTE]

Now that is funny.
    I have a pile of rifles that I assembled myself for about $1k each that are laughing there ass off at that.
    With a decent scope still easily under 2K.
    Not light weight hunters but hunting rifles none the less, home built, long action,factory accutrigger, "budget" custom barrels.
    I am not a pro...........this is just not that hard.
    A good cartridge, carefully tuned load, deliberate assembly of a basic savage with solid components and good optics.............After that, learn the wind........and then 1/2 moa at a 1k is nothing.
    I'm no pro, hell I am not even particularly skilled........It just is not that hard.

Basic Member
    D.ID
    That's nice. But I, too, assemble my own guns I have so far built two Mauser actioned hunting rifles, two Savage based long range bench rest guns as well as hot rodding my late father in law's old 1958 Savage 110 30-06 with pillar and glass bedding. I do my own work but I have started farming out my competition barrels to a local expert smith for chambering and head spacing without a nut. I still stand by my $3000 dollar figure for a 1000 yd 5-6" gun! And that includes $350 for a barrel, $350 for chambering and barrel turning, $600 for a Savage Precision Target Action, a Sharp Shooters Supply do it yourself stock for $350. So far that totals $1650.Now add a "bargain" Night Force Bench Rest scope for $1300 and I believe that is bumping $3000! If you farm out all the construction and stocking you could easily add $1000 not to mention another $1000 if you want Night Forces' Competition scope. Gee! We are up to $5000!!!
    Sure, I built my 7X57 Mauser for $185 for the VZ24 action, $35 for a surplus 7X57 barrel and $150 for cutting down the barrel and crowning it along with bluing the action and barrel. Then $65 for a bargain basement MicroFit stock and a Weaver scope. Hey! I'm into that gun for $560 and I'm doing all the assembling and stocking myself!

I don't care what this 1000 yd gun is going to be used for, 5-6" groups at that range will cost $3000 plus! And this doesn't include the 200 lapua cases you need and the $500 magnetic force restoration balance to weigh your powder to a kernal and the $200 dies to get your cases formed and bullets seated with the consistency you need for 1000 yd. Of course you will be buying premium bullets that cost a bit more and you still have to tune the load carefully.

Sorry, there is still no free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by normmatzen View Post
    D.ID

I don't care what this 1000 yd gun is going to be used for, 5-6" groups at that range will cost $3000 plus!

Two things here....

1) The OP did not mention a 5"-6" requirement for his 1K rifle, you did because you assumed he was trying to hunt with it.

2) The last group I shot at distance (950 yards) was 3.75" ( usually shoot steel at that distance to shut up rifle shooters) Paid less than $500 for the Target Action, $225 for the McGowen barrel (17") and $365 for the Stock.

Spending $3k on a rifle should guarantee that consistency, but spending the $1200 to build a Savage will get you there more often than custom rifle owners want to admit. Don't get me wrong, I own a $3000 HS bolt action (with out optics) and a $3200 JP that has an additional $1900 NF NXS on top of it. Each is awesome in its own way and are very refined, my $1200 Savage stills holds the smallest group and all of them shoot well below 1/2 MOA.

Brass, dies, and scales do not apply here as they are an across the board item you will need no matter how much you spend on your rifle build.

Last edited by Jamie; 10-12-2014 at 12:53 PM.
    More shooting, less typing.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by normmatzen View Post
    D.ID
    That's nice. But I, too, assemble my own guns I have so far built two Mauser actioned hunting rifles, two Savage based long range bench rest guns as well as hot rodding my late father in law's old 1958 Savage 110 30-06 with pillar and glass bedding. I do my own work but I have started farming out my competition barrels to a local expert smith for chambering and head spacing without a nut. I still stand by my $3000 dollar figure for a 1000 yd 5-6" gun! And that includes $350 for a barrel, $350 for chambering and barrel turning, $600 for a Savage Precision Target Action, a Sharp Shooters Supply do it yourself stock for $350. So far that totals $1650.Now add a "bargain" Night Force Bench Rest scope for $1300 and I believe that is bumping $3000! If you farm out all the construction and stocking you could easily add $1000 not to mention another $1000 if you want Night Forces' Competition scope. Gee! We are up to $5000!!!
    Sure, I built my 7X57 Mauser for $185 for the VZ24 action, $35 for a surplus 7X57 barrel and $150 for cutting down the barrel and crowning it along with bluing the action and barrel. Then $65 for a bargain basement MicroFit stock and a Weaver scope. Hey! I'm into that gun for $560 and I'm doing all the assembling and stocking myself!

I don't care what this 1000 yd gun is going to be used for, 5-6" groups at that range will cost $3000 plus! And this doesn't include the 200 lapua cases you need and the $500 magnetic force restoration balance to weigh your powder to a kernal and the $200 dies to get your cases formed and bullets seated with the consistency you need for 1000 yd. Of course you will be buying premium bullets that cost a bit more and you still have to tune the load carefully.

Sorry, there is still no free lunch.
    Not when you pay someone else to do it for you, IE Your Gunsmith.
    Not when you start with a worn out military relic.
    I can not refrain from pointing out that I have half a dozen rifles that will shoot inside 5" at 1000.
    They cost around a grand to build and a little less than that to scope......simple FACT, not an opinion or theory.
    Now feeding them.........ammo, loading, tuning, learning..........That is something els entirely in regards to expense.
    So, your right there is no free lunch but........if you learn to cook and put in the time you can eat a gourmet meal considerably cheaper than you can pay someone to cook it for you.

dpollard
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    Not when you pay someone else to do it for you, IE Your Gunsmith.
    Not when you start with a worn out military relic.
    I can not refrain from pointing out that I have half a dozen rifles that will shoot inside 5" at 1000.
    They cost around a grand to build and a little less than that to scope......simple FACT, not an opinion or theory.
    Now feeding them.........ammo, loading, tuning, learning..........That is something els entirely in regards to expense.
    So, your right there is no free lunch but........if you learn to cook and put in the time you can eat a gourmet meal considerably cheaper than you can pay someone to cook it for you.
    +1000. I guess there are those that feel they are superior by going to a 5-star restaurant and paying for the service in an effort to make their pals jealous. For me, I'll stick to the home-cooked meal and have more $ for components to shoot with. It's not about making others think I'm cool because I can say I have a $5000 custom rifle.

Basic Member
    Well DP, D.ID and Jamie,

Seems you really didn't read my post all that carefully either.

I have a bunch of guns. Only two will reliably shoot 5-6" at 1000 yds. Both are Savages, both have Savage PTA's and all were assembled by me including finishing the stock,
    pillar bedding and glass bedding the stock, mounting the scope. I started with a pre-fit Shilen barrel and graduated to buying my own reamers and paying a gunsmith to chamber the barrels I bought. If you choose to go the pre-fit way you can save yourself $250 or so for the gunsmith.
    Strange you think 5-6" isn't much. I shoot club matches often at both 600 and 1000 yd and we shoot 5 shot groups with light gun and 10 shot groups with heavy gun. I shoot the same gun for light and heavy as most folks do. 5" is a common average aggregate group for heavy gun art 600 yd! At 1000 yd, 5" will get you a single target prize!
    And, yes, I do get off on beating folks that shoot the $5000 guns with my home made Savage!

And, yes, the price I quoted above is for a realistic gun capable of consistent 5-6" groups at 1000 yds. It is what I paid for all the parts I built them with with $250 extra for my gunsmith to chamber my supplied barrel. You won't find many shooters at long range matches with scopes less than $1500 or so and a lot are using the new Night Force Comp. at $2300.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12