Thread: Suggestions for sighting new gun/scope combo.

Cumby

Suggestions for sighting new gun/scope combo.

Just bought a 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP .270 that came mounted with Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope. After doing a good bit or research last year I picked this up because my son has been wanting to branch out into deer hunting. The salesman said that the Savage factory reps "guarantee" the gun will shoot 100 yard 1/4 inch groups out of the box! I was kind of caught off guard by that? Im assuming that is a slight exaggeration and I need to sight the gun in anyways? I don't expect to be shooting too far out past 100 yards right now and want to stay away from heavier loads until we get comfortable with the riffle. I was wanting to get some suggestions on what size rounds I might want to try to first sight it in with first...150 grain?

Yeah, that's just a wee bit of an exaggeration on the salesman's part. LOL

The package rifles come bore-sighted from the factory, which basically means it should be on paper at 100 yards right out of the box. Should be - not guaranteed. As such you still need to take it to the range and sight it in. I always recommend starting at 50 yards to get an initial zero, then moving out to 100 yards.

As for ammo, if this is just a deer rifle then 130 grain pills would be ideal and they're the most popular for the caliber so you'll have a good selection of factory loads to choose from. Ultimately though you want to sight in with whatever ammo you intend to hunt with.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I don't trust factory accessories being right. I would tear it down completely and reassemble making sure everything is good and tight. Then get a couple different 130 gr loads,bore sight with the bolt out at 25 yds,get it zeroed,then go to 100 yds and get serious. .02˘
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Old Guy
    I bought the same combo in 308. I sighted it in at the 50 yard mark and it was on the paper but hitting a couple of inches low and to the right. After I got sighted in, I switched to the 100 yard berm and it was doing good. When I got home and started cleaning it, I noticed the scope was loose. Both the front ring and the front base.

243LPR has it right. Before you go to the range, remove the scope and base and reinstall them (I used blue Loctite on all of the screws).

I wouldn't recommend using blue Loctite on scope base screws as it's to strong for their small size and it greatly increases your chances of sheering the head off when you try to remove them. Base screws should only be torqued to 25in-lbs, and if you absolutely insist on having to use Loctite on them use the 222 Purple which is lower strength and specifically for fasteners 1/4" and smaller in dia.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain