Thread: 2-7 Scopes: Leupold Vx-1 or Zeiss Terra 3X - Recoomendations needed

hprieger

2-7 Scopes: Leupold Vx-1 or Zeiss Terra 3X - Recoomendations needed

Hi there,

I have narrowed down my list to buying either the Leupold VX-1 or the Zeiss Terra 3X.

Any recommendations?

What would you buy?

beta1759
    can't go wrong with Leupold. Rugged, tough, USA Machined/Designed/Engineered, and the best warranty around period.

I've never had the chance to look through one of the relatively new Zeiss Terra's so I can't comment on them, but it's typically very hard to beat Zeiss lens quality - even on their more cost-friendly products. As for the Leupold VX-1 series, I've never been impressed with them but it's also been years since I've even looked at one. Leupold uses the trickle-down methodology in that what was the last VX-3 series becomes the next VX-2 series, and the last VX-2 series becomes the next VX-1 series.

In general have always felt Leupold was a little overpriced for the quality of glass compared to some of their competitors like Sightron and Vortex, especially on their entry and mid-level models which are typically $100+ more than similar models from their competitors. That said, I'd probably go with the Zeiss just to give it a go. They've long been one of the world leaders in optics so you know the glass will be good, and they've been making optics for longer than most so the quality should be there as well. Not sure what the warranty is, but I'm betting it's Limited Lifetime just like Leupold's.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

beta1759
    @J. Baker

Leupold has a lifetime warranty, not a limited lifetime warranty on their optics. if they can't fix it, they will replace it with a new equivalent model for free..

Basic Member
    My hunting partner has a vx-i 2-7 on his 7mm rm. It's not bad for the price. Has the friction turrets. Other then that its not bad at all. Not a target scope and is a little optically challenged. But has a great field of view for the price. I think it was 212 for a demo.

The Terra has great glass but I'd have to question the quality of the internals being assembled in China isn't a selling point.

How about a vx-ii 3-9x40 ? For 299 ish its a pretty stable scope.

Quote Originally Posted by beta1759 View Post
    @J. Baker

Leupold has a lifetime warranty, not a limited lifetime warranty on their optics. if they can't fix it, they will replace it with a new equivalent model for free..
    So you're saying that if I deliberately smash my Leupold scope in my vise and send it back to Leupold they will send me a brand spanking new one? I don't think so Tim! Leupold's is a limited warranty just like everyone else offers and it's right there in black and white...

Leupold Golden Ring® Full Lifetime Guarantee

If any Leupold Golden Ring® product is found to have defects in materials or workmanship, Leupold & Stevens, Inc. will repair, or if repair is not possible, either replace the product or refund the purchase price, whichever you prefer. FREE. Even if you are not the original owner. No warranty card is required. No time limit applies. This warranty excludes electronic components, which are subject to the limited two-year warranty below.
    See...limited to defects in materials or workmanship. Semantics - they'll get you every time!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Leupold hater by any means. I currently have two Leupold scopes, Leupold McKinley bino's, a Leupold range finder, and two Redfield (by Leupold) scopes.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    The largest + for me buying a Leupold was they resale like nothing else in their price ranges. Usually close to nib price.

Besides being as much or more scope then I'll ever need for hunting. Even the Rifleman has performed well @ $200 price point you basically get a vx-i with slightly inferior glass. Not a fanboy but since I can't afford to put S-III's on its what I can do and be satisfied with.

I have 2 Redfields and only gripe is 1 needs to go in for warranty work on the internals and the 36 moa limit on my 6-18 which comes with target turrets! Has landed it on my 223.

I can find my own posts whining about the cost of scopes here. But a few years later and a couple of paperweights later the advice of Jim and others is beginning to sink into my thick headed penny pinching backside. I just hope I don't go down the mauser path next! But with Savage and others flooding the market as they are I probably will go Mauser, Tika or Kimber. Rather then ride the deflation train with the low ball market.

Team Savage
    I can't comment on the Zeiss Terra since I have never owned one. Take a look at Cameraland NY's open box, demo scopes that are like new at a discounted price. The Zeiss Terra 3X demo's are a great value. The Leupold's no question warranty, resale value, light weight, compact design and Alumina accessories (ex. screw in aluminum scope caps) are the biggest pluses IMO. The Leupold VX-1 does not have very good glass. There are much better scope choices for the money. You would be better served in the long run by the Leupold VX-2 in 2-7x33. The glass is much better than the Leupold VX-1 and the former VX-II models. And the windage and elevation knobs are finger-tip 1/4" click adjustments instead of friction adjustments.
    Last edited by jpdown; 10-01-2014 at 01:29 AM.

Basic Member
    Between those choices, Zeiss. However, I'm going through a similar decision now and Vortex keeps coming out as a favorite. Good glass and by far the best warranty. For a budget scope, warranty is important.

[QUOTE=J. Baker;282759In general have always felt Leupold was a little overpriced for the quality of glass compared to some of their competitors like Sightron and Vortex, especially on their entry and mid-level models which are typically $100+ more than similar models from their competitors. That said, I'd probably go with the Zeiss just to give it a go. They've long been one of the world leaders in optics so you know the glass will be good, and they've been making optics for longer than most so the quality should be there as well. Not sure what the warranty is, but I'm betting it's Limited Lifetime just like Leupold's.[/QUOTE]

Ditto!!

My general rule of thumb is this, if buying Leupold, buy Vari-X III or better. If not, then go with another company because you will more scope for your money.
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    Leupold sent me a VX-1 2x7 scope as a replacement for an old scope.
    I put it on a Win M70 pre 64 with featherweight 270 Pac Nor barrel and Bordon Rimrock stock. I shot deer after deer after deer out to 510 yards with that rifle.