Thread: B-Mag Stock Experience and mods

B-Mag Stock Experience and mods

Hey all,

Just joined Savage Shooters today and really enjoy the forums. I have a B-Mag that was sent back to Savage 2 times before they replaced it. All the same issues that everyone has discussed here. At the time, there wasn't any replacement stocks available for the rifle so I free floated it myself by sanding out the barrel channel. I did fill all the pockets in the forearm under the barrel with JB Weld Plastic Weld. Made a "jig" to mount the stock it to straighten it and then added the Plastic Weld to the pockets. Corrected the crooked stock issue and gave it some added weight in the forend. The rifle originally went in for accuracy issues, tight spots in the barrel. Replacement rifle seemed better but only took it out once after I received it. Haven't shot it since last fall. Getting ready to get it back out again. Will try to post pics of my "jig" if anyone wants to give it a try. If it doesn't work email me for pics.

Paul
    kc8ddqataoldotcom

bremereric
    Switched to a Boyd's tradition laminate stock for the heavy barrel. Did nothing to it. Did shoot it today. 100 rounds.

Took my stainless heavy barrel model out for a 50 yard test spin today. Very little wind at the end when I shot 50 25 grainers at the green and white target. No cleaning or anything like that. Shot four sessions. First I had a couple of fliers.

Next I ran more down the barrel. Two high fliers and one low and the rest to the right.

Third session I clicked the scope a little to the left. Maybe shots were high but a pretty good group. I never let the barrel cool.

Last session were all 25 grainers. As fast as I could load and shoot with two magazines. Two low fliers. By this time the wind was moving the target a little. I needed to give my wife confidence at fifty yards with another Savage model so I stayed with her.

hey bremereric what will she do at 100yrds?
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

kc8ddq let us know how your mods did with this gun, I'm up for anything to improve my replacement gun from Savage!
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

bremereric
    Quote Originally Posted by fla9-40 View Post
    hey bremereric what will she do at 100yrds?
    Hope to go next weekend. Scored lots more boxes of ammo.

jugchoke
    Me too!
    Two cases today!
    20 boxes!

jugchoke
    Added more ammo, seems as though they are producing a pretty good stream again.
    Running, $14.77, WM, and best otherwise, $15.99.

Got the new Boyd's stock installed on the heavy barrel, and it's much better.
    Only slight modification required, left side of the barrel channel only.
    Everything else matched up perfectly.

WindSurgeon
    kc: I did the same stuff to mine. Used a .5' dowel with sand paper to sand down the barrel channel of the stock so the barrel had lots of room. I also filled the entire forend with a mixture of lead shot and epoxy to add weight and stiffen the stock. Let it cure for two days in a box jig to keep is strait. I then filled the hollow butt with expanding foam to dampen vibration. I was happy with the final result except the stock still flexes under the action. Nothing there to keep it rigid. I also added a shim to the plastic part attached to the bottom of the receiver which was extremely loose.

My result with the 20 grain ammo is that my 3 shot groups went from 1.5-5" to a consistent .5-1" and my first shot, cold barrel accuracy (most applicable for hunting) was dead on. Ammo is still very inconsistent across my chronograph and there's not a thing we can do about that except wait for better ammo to come out.

With these mods, I am still not comfortable supporting the rifle on the forend of the stock due to the flex still present in the action area. I supported the gun as far rearward on the stock forend as I could on my bench rest and not have the rifle tip forward on its own. This is a limitation if you want to shoot with a bipod