Thread: Curse of getting into Savages

Basic Member

Curse of getting into Savages

Here I am again with a buy and the have to sell dilemma. If you have been on this website for more than a month, you probably have, or will soon face the same issue over and over again. I just bought a Savage 3 Screw Target Action with a 26in. McGowen .308 barrel with a harrels break in a F-Class Savage Stock, so I decide, I have to sell a few things to pay for it. I have a Savage F/TR, in .308 with the 30 inch factory barrel, and it bugholes with just untouched federal brass (haven't even pulled out the Lapua brass), and so, I figured I'd sell the McGowen since it is only 26in. long and the factory barrel is 30. Get more velocity. I decide to shoot some groups to show how the McGowan shoots to help sell it. I shoot it and it bugholes with just the Sierra accuracy load 168SMK without even working with it yet. I get hooked when I find out I can just screw the break off so I can shoot F-Class with it. So, I decide to sell the Factory 30 inch barrel. Then I need more cash, so I sell a great single shot 2 screw action to a forum member, and then decide to sell my 7WSM Shilen Select Match barrel because I plan to build a .284 Shehane. I go to shoot it recently so I can show a potential buyer how is shoots and here are the results of a few 3 shot groups. I know they are only 3 shot groups, but I thought it would be enough to show how it shoots - I am keeping it now:

This is one of 3 three shot groups at 100. This was the best, but the others were close. I have only shot this at 500 yards for 4 groups, and they averaged 2.5 inches for all four using an older Sportsman guide rest and no rear bag with this load. The 175 SMK shoots better, but I don't have any loaded.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/warnerhill1455/DSC05356.jpg[/img]

This is the rig I shoot off at home. I have to break down and build a better shooting table.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/warnerhill1455/DSC05351.jpg[/img]

I can't sell this rig now. What do you do when you got to sell something, and everything shoots so good? Quite Savage all together?

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." ~ George Washington

Re: Curse of getting into Savages

Just get a few more jobs :) Then you will have more money to buy more savages.

Quote Originally Posted by ThorBird
    What do you do when you got to sell something, and everything shoots so good? Quit Savage all together?
    That's just crazy talk! Think outside the box. Think non-Savage. Think outboard motors, think tools (unless you use them to work on Savages), think RV's, think motorcycles - scratch that, think non-essential things like food every other day.....

Thing is, almost every Savage you shoot is capable of the same thing. You just happen to be cursed with several that do it.
    12 FLV 204 Ruger

maxima2

Don't sell. Just keep buying more as you get the money.
    I always regret selling a gun but I never regret buying one. Isn't that strange?

Basic Member

It keeps adding up. I now have 7 Savage actions. I don't shoot a number of barrels, but because they are shooters, I find it hard to sell them off. They're almost like children. I know, I'll end just continuing to buy, and someday, hopefully I'll have Grand Kids that will use them, or my wife will sell the bunch for a inflation adjusted $300 and think she robbed the poor buyer.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." ~ George Washington

dlebeck

Ok, ok, I feel your pain. Now sit down, take a deep breath and relax the Doctor is in the house. As you may or may not know I am an expert in these things. So this is what the Doctor (me) orders. Give me you savage to keep for say, oh a year or two, then if after all that time you still feel like you need more therapy give me a call and I will take away another gun of yours for a longer period of time or until you are all better.

Remember good friends and good doc's like me are pricless!

PS you will have to pay the shipping!

Basic Member

Sounds to me like you have other motives than helping me through this problem ::)

I promise Vince that there are no other motives here, but I would definately still sell that action>>>LOL
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

That is your soon to be action on that rig Mike. Have shot many a tiny group with that action and a standard accu-trigger.

dcloco

I have sold/traded exactly, ONE Savage/Stevens. Built it for a local gent that just had to have a 223 AI, but is a new family man with all of the constraints that brings.

Tonight, thanks to another board member, we are working on a trade.....Savage for Savage....so we both are staying even. :)

Basic Member

Sounds like the way to go dcloco. Sounds like you are gonna hook someone else on Savages. That's spreading the condition ;D

dcloco

Nah...they are already hooked. :)

pklin

Nice shooting! To the OP, may I ask if any of your actions have been trued at all?

I have been bitten by the Savage bug but have yet to start my build, heck, I've never even owned a long range rig before, always been a handgun/shotgun person... For my first rig I figure I would start off on the right foot and do a Savage instead of drinking the Rem 700 coolaid...

Anyone want to offload a Stevens short action on me? :D I figure I can start there so I can't change my mind anymore. By dumb luck I was offered a newly built USO TPal for one of my O/Us I had for sale/trade, so now I have to get a rifle going. :)

Again to OP, great shooting and don't sell any more guns. I've done too much of that and really regretted some of them, especially since I live in California and should be hanging on to everything i can get...

Basic Member

I might have one trued action on a .204 rig that I bought that looks like it had everything under the sun done to it. Great shooting gun and all polished and beautiful. I have not had any of my actions trued. Savage is great because the floating bolt head will align with the cartridge, so everything does not have to be trued, that is as long as it is not too out of whack. I wouldn't mind having trued actions though. Everything helps. Good choice on Savage. You can find rems that shoot great too, but I love being able to change the barrels and make what I want out of the Savages. Easier to tune to be a great shooter too.

boy412

Quote Originally Posted by ThorBird
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/warnerhill1455/DSC05356.jpg[/img]

I can't sell this rig now.

No doubt! Nice shooting...

Basic Member

Thanks. I did sell the action to pdog06, but I got a 3 screw target action to replace it. Otherwise, I would not have sold that single shot action.

Vince, Ill take the target action instead if ya want...LOL
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

dlebeck

Damn those rascelly savages!

Basic Member

Hey Mike, Truth is, the action you are getting is a proven performer and is small shank. I wish the 3 screw actions were small shanks. Easier to find used barrels with a wider selection.