Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tired of burning through scopes: need suggestion for 308 scope under $300-350

Basic Member

I apologize for an confusion Dan, I own 5 savages but not an axis. My rifles all have the recoil lug with a ring that slips over the barrel between the nut and the action. I am not familiar with the savage models that use the recoil lug in your picture. I bow out, but keep asking questions as that is how I got my rifle shooting low groups. There are a lot of helpful people on this site and I am hoping one of them can get you where you want to be..

God bless

DzNutz
    One observation I have made in this thread is that we do not know two things about your efforts (unless I am missing it in reading). What ammo are you using (hand-loads, factory, match, cheap, etc...) and how long are you waiting in between shots for proper barrel cool, etc...?

I realize that the base screws issue could very well have been the culprit, but I am curious as to why you have the front ring base screw at 30lbs and the rear ring base screw at 15lbs? For the ring base screws I torque mine to 30-35lbs both front and back. Also check to see if the ring screws themselves, not the base screws, are not loose or too tight. Most recommend something around 20 lbs of torque for those, but no more in most cases. Another issue may be over tightening one side and causing a warp in the scope tube. Hope to H@ll it is not that!!! Hope you figure it out, good luck!

***EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION*** - My comment about Base screws may be a misinterpretation of your comment about “action screws”. If you are referring to the screws that secure the scope rings to your base, this is my concern. If you are referring to the screws (which I think you are after reading further, sorry) that secure your stock to your action, then please ignore! I would still however check all the torque settings on all screws on the scope and base.
    Last edited by DzNutz; 10-03-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Can you list the exact models of busnell,Nikon etc that you had problems with as I suspect they were the cheaper stuff in clamshell packaging. I have at least 6 or 7 bushnell 4200's with no problem and you can pick them up used at your budget. Stay away from any Chinese scope's as they are hit or miss. Try looking into a vortex and spend alittle more to get the viper series' as the crossfire's are only fair.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Slickrock
    Quote Originally Posted by DzNutz View Post
    One observation I have made in this thread is that we do not know two things about your efforts (unless I am missing it in reading). What ammo are you using (hand-loads, factory, match, cheap, etc...) and how long are you waiting in between shots for proper barrel cool, etc...?

I realize that the base screws issue could very well have been the culprit, but I am curious as to why you have the front ring base screw at 30lbs and the rear ring base screw at 15lbs? For the ring base screws I torque mine to 30-35lbs both front and back. Also check to see if the ring screws themselves, not the base screws, are not loose or too tight. Most recommend something around 20 lbs of torque for those, but no more in most cases. Another issue may be over tightening one side and causing a warp in the scope tube. Hope to H@ll it is not that!!! Hope you figure it out, good luck!

***EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION*** - My comment about Base screws may be a misinterpretation of your comment about “action screws”. If you are referring to the screws that secure the scope rings to your base, this is my concern. If you are referring to the screws (which I think you are after reading further, sorry) that secure your stock to your action, then please ignore! I would still however check all the torque settings on all screws on the scope and base.
    I set the base screws off of an article from boyds I found for the axis stock. But I soon found this to be too tight and it bound my bolt a bit so I backed both off both just enough to allow the bolt to freely slide. They are as tight as I'm comfortable going and not causing warping issues.

I was letting the blue lock tight set up but unfortunately had to leave the range without test firing due to my buddy getting a call and having to go home. Also had a gas block issue with my AR so it was one of those days. Planning on going out tomorrow and will post results with pictures. I'm using Fusion 150 grain ammo and grabbed a box of Winchester 7.62, 140 grain to see if that round works better. Need to also order some match grade. Plan on researching here to see what people are having the best results with before ordering. I'm shooting in groups of 3 and letting the barrel cool for at least ten minutes between groupings.

I'm also planning on bedding the stock in a few weeks.

As for the the scopes, one was a mid price Bushnell which obviously couldn't handle the recoil and a BSA Platinum Pt624x44TS. Vortex is an option but like the Muller scopes too. Borrowing an older Leupold 9x at the moment.

DzNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickrock View Post
    ...I'm using Fusion 150 grain ammo and grabbed a box of Winchester 7.62, 140 grain to see if that round works better. Need to also order some match grade. Plan on researching here to see what people are having the best results with before ordering. I'm shooting in groups of 3 and letting the barrel cool for at least ten minutes between groupings...
    This, good Sir, is your problem!!! I am sorry, but that is crap ammo and the Winchester is high priced Milsurp IMHO! Try "Remington 168gr Premiere Match 168gr SMKBTHP" or "Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr SMKBTHP". The ten minutes of cooling in between groups is good, but also give some time in between shots to cool too. The thinner your barrel, the more cooling time. Good luck
    Last edited by DzNutz; 10-08-2014 at 08:08 AM.

I have a couple of these, I can't believe how clear they are,

http://www.thesportsmonkey.com/produ...2d24x50mm.html

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I was looking at those a while back and ended up going with another Vortex.

Must be a pretty good scope if it survives the way you reload.

Or, is it on your .22LR?
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

It's a 22 lr Ackley Improved,LOL

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

pitsnipe
    "I set the base screws off of an article from boyds I found for the axis stock. But I soon found this to be too tight and it bound my bolt a bit so I backed both off both just enough to allow the bolt to freely slide"

You have one or more scope base screws that are too long. Likely the second one from the front of the action (as the first one up front "bottoms" out on the barrel threads if too long) That screw can and will "bind" your bolt. But the answer isn't to back it off. The recommended inch pounds torque setting is based on the size of the screw. Follow that to the letter. Sounds like you will have to remove it again, trim off a thread or two in length. Reinstall to the recommended torque setting, and try the bolt again. And as mentioned, the ammo can and most often will determine the group size. But if this is a short range hunting gun (i.e. 300 yards and under) a 1" to 1.5" group at 100 yards is more than good enough for a well placed into the vitals shot.

Snipe

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    It's a 22 lr Ackley Improved,LOL

Dean
    Deano, do you have the reamer for that .22LR AI??? How can I not want one? :)
    Someday I hope to live the lifestyle that my wife and children enjoy.

kenl
    Midway has a clearance sale on the Sightron SIH-TAC 4-12x 40mm AO Mil-Dot right now. They are showing it at a little over $140
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/257...ProductFinding

Berger.Fan222
    Never had a problem holding zero with a Leupold.

Quote Originally Posted by Berger.Fan222 View Post
    Me either...
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Quote Originally Posted by Echo17 View Post
    I will reiterate the 4x14-44 ffp from Primary Arms. Mine has been fantastic, including a 3 day sniper course.

Or for a fixed scope, no brained is the SSWFA 10x

I'm going to give that a try.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#b22222][I][B]In a nation where anything goes ... everything eventually will.[/B][/I][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#0000ff][B]What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.[/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

varmint72
    Swfa or get a used Leopold.I had two vortex break and had to send them back the warranty is good but its to much of a pain to be sending them back and wasting ammo.

dad11345
    Why not check the mounts and rings first? What brand are they? Are they torqued properly? How is the trigger? I second the SWFA if another scope is needed. You will find them in there sample section which are demos for 249. I have four and the rest have Leupolds.

Basic Member

That's a heckuva deal on a really nice hunting scope.

BC Guide
    If you are planning on using your gun for mountain hunting possibly in bad weather I would only buy Leupold. If you are only walking to a whitetail stand any scope should hold center, I would check your mounts first.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrooster View Post
    I'm going to give that a try.
    I've had really good luck with mine. I'm not using on a heavy recoiling rifle (223) but it seems to be of very high value all things considered. I found it to track very consistently and I love being able to adjust the parallax. It is certainly up to 308 recoil and should not limit the accuracy capability of your rifle.

Bill

Basic Member
    Cabelas has a Vortex Viper HS 30mm tube 4-16x44mm, with side parallax and capped finger adjustable turrets on sale for $309 right now, that's gonna be a hard one to beat at that price -Leo

Basic Member
    Your grouping scatter may be due to your ammo. You might try upgrading to some match grade ammo and see if that helps.

I'll assume you have checked to make sure the scope mounts are not loose

If a new scope is your choice, I recently purchased a SWFA SS10X42. $260 Black Friday sale. Only about 150 rounds down the barrel, but I love it so far.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berger.Fan222 View Post
    I have one that developed a serious elevation problem.

JCalhoun
    If you are running through scopes it may be a scope mount alignment issue. If the bases & rings are not in proper alignment they will put the scope tube in a bind and that will come to fruition at the reticle and moving parts.

This is a good reason to use the single piece bases like DNZ makes.

Basic Member
    Good point. Another point is maybe you need to purchase a torque wrench. You might be adding too much stress on the scope by cranking the rings to 40inlb+

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast