Thread: Critique Remington 260 build

Basic Member

Question Remington 260 build need your opinions

This will be my 1000+ yard target rifle.

Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP, 260 remington (sku 19699).
    XLR Element Chassis
    Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP

I'm a handloader so the ammo is not an issue.

The savage is already purchased and I've already taken it to the range.
    Stock will be replaced with an XLR element chassis with folding stock.
    Optics will be Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP, which i have been extremely happy with on my Savage 223 FCP-K.
    Last edited by bani; 09-29-2014 at 01:00 PM.

Basic Member
    So how did it shoot stock. I'm about to buy one for hunting.

Maybe eventually put a Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock on it...

Basic Member
    I'd guess the wildcard is the stock barrel. It may work out great ... or it may not be up to the task of a 1000 yard rifle. I had that exact rifle when it was stock ... replaced the barrel with a Shilen Select Match before I fired a shot ... for no real good reason.
    NRA Life Member

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln4 View Post
    So how did it shoot stock. I'm about to buy one for hunting.

Maybe eventually put a Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock on it...
    it shoots fine stock, only took it out to 550 yards so far but it can consistently hit a 12" wide steel plate no problem.

it's pretty light out of the box, I packed the plastic stock full of lead to make it heavier and soften the recoil. it helped a lot but now the gun is really rear heavy so when it fires the gun jumps all over the place.

also for purely target shooting the stock ergonomics aren't great. i'm hoping the xlr element chassis will improve things.

the oem stock is completely free floated which is nice, though it does flex a lot.

anyone see any problems with this potential build?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevM View Post
    I'd guess the wildcard is the stock barrel. It may work out great ... or it may not be up to the task of a 1000 yard rifle. I had that exact rifle when it was stock ... replaced the barrel with a Shilen Select Match before I fired a shot ... for no real good reason.
    i haven't done accuracy testing yet, though it has no problems hitting 12" plate at 550 yards. so it's doing at least moa. if the oem barrel isn't capable of sub moa i'll replace it with a benchmark barrel, they're local to me.

Basic Member
    My 223 & 260 are my favorites. Especially if I have struggled getting another rifle to group well. I can regain my self esteem quickly with either.

LongRange
    The stock will be a great up grade. Id replace the trigger and shoot it and see how it does,factory barrels shoot but foul fast and then you loose your accuracy so if it shoots well clean just keep it clean. When you do by a barrel go 28" min and a longer throat for longer bullets.

Basic Member
    What sort of target shooting do you plan to do? 1000 yd benchrest? Practical/Tactical? Competitive Matches?

I shoot practical/tactical out to 1200 yds with a Savage action 260 Rem in a Manners T5 stock and McGowen 24" (Shilen #7LV) barrel. I shoot A-Max 140s at 2875 fps and it's a tack driver.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onewolf View Post
    What sort of target shooting do you plan to do? 1000 yd benchrest? Practical/Tactical? Competitive Matches?

I shoot practical/tactical out to 1200 yds with a Savage action 260 Rem in a Manners T5 stock and McGowen 24" (Shilen #7LV) barrel. I shoot A-Max 140s at 2875 fps and it's a tack driver.
    no competition, just casual extreme long range steel target shooting on public land.

I shoot A-Max 140s at 2875 fps and it's a tack driver.
    Currently working with the same barrel you have but in 22". What powder are you loading to get that velocity?

long range steel target shooting
    Looking at the equipment list for the Steel Safari 2013 the majority caliber choice was the 260 followed by the Creedmoor. Also Savage actions were used by several competitors. Not a 30 caliber in the bunch....go figure!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    The stock will be a great up grade. Id replace the trigger and shoot it and see how it does,factory barrels shoot but foul fast and then you loose your accuracy so if it shoots well clean just keep it clean. When you do by a barrel go 28" min and a longer throat for longer bullets.
    xlr chassis should arrive in a few days.

i have geissele triggers in my ARs so I know what a good trigger is i've been happy with accutrigger and don't feel a need to replace it at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Looking at the equipment list for the Steel Safari 2013 the majority caliber choice was the 260 followed by the Creedmoor. Also Savage actions were used by several competitors. Not a 30 caliber in the bunch....go figure!
    where's this list so I can take a look too?

This one is better than the limited Steel Safari equipment list. 6mm and 6.5mm bore sizes have led the pack in competitions, including Steel Safari, for the last several years.

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers...-pros-use.html

Basic Member
    savage mounted in XLR chassis now. waiting on scope.

Basic Member
    one warning to anyone thinking of using an 11 trophy hunter xp as a base rifle for modification. it is impossible to thread this barrel for a suppressor.

Team Savage
    So my comments would be trigger, machined recoil lug, bed it to a top shelf target stock, top bull or varmint barrel and work some hand loads.

I had a 6mmBR that I threw together, midway barrel, Choate Varmint stock, no action or bolt work IE factory, machined recoil lug, good steel base and steel rings, nightforce scope, with next to no load work that shot a solid 3/4" group at 300 yards IE 1/4 moa with Lapua bullet. If you want the best barrel - Kreiger.

Curious about the bolt release. My 111 Trophy Hunter XP is a bottom bolt release. How did that work with the XLR?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Currently working with the same barrel you have but in 22". What powder are you loading to get that velocity?
    Sorry for the delayed response...

42.8gr RL-17 powder, CCI BR-2 Primers, Lapua Brass, 2.865" OAL

Basic Member
    Nice set up! One thing to remember that I have not seen mentioned is add a 20 MOA base. The PST is VERY limited on elevation travel. You're only looking at 32.5 MOA each way. Depending on your altitude/conditions, that may or may not get you to 1K. Plus, you're better off to be operating in the middle of the travel range than at the extremes.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Curious about the bolt release. My 111 Trophy Hunter XP is a bottom bolt release. How did that work with the XLR?
    it worked fine. there's a little lever in the xlr trigger guard which activates the bolt release. it's a little harder to engage than the oem release, but not a big deal. and now my savage is sexy as hell :D