I apologize in advance for the long post, and if this has been answered before I also apologize! I am new to bolt action rifles, purchased a Ruger American Rimifire last year and really enjoy shooting it. I have been researching a lot lately, both here and on SH, and I keep coming back to this site because I feel there are a lot of guys on here who realize you don't have to spend $1000's to enjoy shooting "longer ranges", and have success doing so, so I am looking for any advice I can get!

First off I am looking at building this gun for paper punching out to 300 yards as that is currently the longest range I have available close to me, but ultimately this will be a coyote gun. I originally was thinking of using .22-250, but lately have read that a .223 may do the trick. So my first question is what caliber do you all use for coyote hunting, and why?

Secondly, I keep going back and forth between the Savage Axis XP II, and the Ruger American Predator for the rifle. Now I do realize this is Savage Shooters so I expect the responses to be biased, but please explain why you feel as you do. The price of both is basically the same after you factor in the rebate from Savage, then buy a rail for the Axis. I will probably put a PA scope on either one, and Boyds Stocks on either as well, so I am not factoring that into the costs, because as far as upgrades if I plan on doing it to one it will probably happen to the other. The Axis comes with a Weaver scope(but don't know if it is worth a hoot or not) so that could be a pro, but I'm not sure!

I current do not reload, but hope to learn sometime in the next year as funds become available. I am hoping this modest build gets me into the sport and leaves me yearning for more as I see a .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor in my future someday. I would love to have a rifle built by Longrifles Inc. someday but realize it is not feasible now, and I am not ready for that at this moment anyways. I have a lot to learn before then. Any help/advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!!