Thread: 6mm remington

aff11

6mm remington

I will be building my first stevens 200 in 6mm remington. I will be using it for target, coyote hunting and maybe antelope hunting for my daughter. I would like to shoot 80-90 gr bullets out of it. Will they fit in a short action or will I neet to step up to a long action. I will be loading my own shells thinking maybe berger bullets. your help will be much appreciated.

Re: 6mm remington

Get the long action!

My 6mm Rem. is built on a short action but I bought a custom reamer with a very short throat to shoot the lighter varmint weight bullets. I can use the short action mag b/c of the short throat. I had an A&B barrel for a while but it was throated long enough that I could only use short varmint bullets seated towards the rifling. 70g Noslers seated at about .020" off the lands wouldn't fit in the mag.

If you're wanting to shoot the heavier (especially the long VLD style) bullets, definitely go with a long action.

dcloco

Ditto with trappst - 110% correct.

aff11

Thanks for the info will the .270 bolt work?

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by aff11
    Thanks for the info will the .270 bolt work?
    Yes ;D
    Stu

pd721el

Question for Trappist and dcloco. Are you using a staggered or center feed action. If the OP is looking at a SA staggered feed I agree completely. But I think shooting 80-90 the almost 3" mag of a centerfeed should work fine. I shoot 105 bergers and 107 smk's in a centerfeed 243 and have ample mag room. I do agree that the throating makes all the differance. I have a 700 in a 6mm rem also and fight the short box in it. Its a great cartridge, good luck. Eric

dcloco

I cannot comment on what will really work....as mine is a 6mm AI. Built this on a centerfeed action though.

Will your barrel twist handle the heavy bullets?

pd721el

Dcloco, If the heavies question was for me then yes the 243 is a 1/8 LW. The 105 VLD touch the rifleing at a OAL of 2.825, so it could even be throated a little longer. The 6mm Rem 700 No it is a 1/9 Montana rifleman barrel and it wont even shoot the 95 berger VLD, but loves the 75 and 87 Vmax.

pd721el,

I've used both the centerfeed and the staggered feed with the 6mm Rem. I had the 10 twist A&B barrel on a staggered feed Stevens short action. Used the 80g Sierra SBT in that one b/c the 70g Nosler wouldn't fit.

The new custom barrel is on a centerfeed detachable mag action. Here's the mag with a dummy round loaded with the 70g Nosler at the lands.

Honestly not sure how you fit the VLD in a short action mag....your LW must be really short throated. How much bullet do you have below the neck/shoulder junction?

Basic Member

Great, if that is only a 70gr, I am in big trouble! I have a McGowen 1:8" on order for shooting 105s and 107s. I am planning on a 12 CF action. Looks like I may have to sell that and buy another 112!

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by 319
    Great, if that is only a 70gr, I am in big trouble! I have a McGowen 1:8" on order for shooting 105s and 107s. I am planning on a 12 CF action. Looks like I may have to sell that and buy another 112!
    Excuse #5.5 sub A "Honey, this one won't work, I have to buy a different to go with all the accessories I bought to go on this one."

Literally LMAO!!!!!!

dcloco, that was freakin' great!

ellobo

Quote Originally Posted by trappst
    Literally LMAO!!!!!!

dcloco, that was freakin' great!

Be advised that what he said is standard Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut language when confronted with that problem and a skeptical wife. Commit it to memory. May save your life someday.

El Lobo

dcloco

Us "brotherhood of the nut" MUST stick together. More than a support group, it is a culture!

pd721el

Trappst, after looking at the mag pic I total agree with you now. Use the long action for the 6mm Rem. That is the same problem I have with my 700 6mm rem, too short of mag box.
    As far as my LW and the bullet seating, The base of the bullet doesn't go below the juncture of the body and the shoulder.

Basic Member

So does that line actually work on your wife? We are just at the 5 year mark, so I am still getting yelled at for buying stuff and never asking if I can. Although I don't think I need to ask, I keep beating my head against that wall. Maybe I should switch tactics!!

pd721el

Far easier to beg foregiveness, then ask permission!!

Kawabuggy

I've got a heavy barreled Rem 700 in 6MM. I agree with what has been posted-long throat, and short mag is just a double whammy.

Go with the long action in the Savage. If you are getting a custom barrel, decide which bullets you will most likely use and get the chamber cut to work with those bullets so you can set up close to the rifling.