Thread: Savage Axis II stock and barrel replacement?

robozzz

Savage Axis II stock and barrel replacement?

I really like the chocolate stock, but I am not sure if it is compatible with that rifle or not. Also barrel wise I am looking for a heavy barrel.
    Just wondering what route other people have taken, and advice I can be given.

Thanks.

Axises use the standard 1X/11X "small" shank barrels. Any make will work and can be installed in a matter of less than an hour with a barrel nut wrench and headspace gauge.

Chocolate stock? I'm not sure what that is, but only stocks designed for the Axis/Edge will work on the Axis without significant modification. Savage 1X/11X stocks, for example, will not work.

On my Axis, I used a varmint contour Shilen pre-fit and switched the stock for a Boyd's Tacticool. The barrel channel had to be hogged out to fit the wider pipe, but that was another simple task with hand tools.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 09-28-2014 at 02:12 AM.

robozzz
    Sorry I meant choate, not chocolate. In your opinion how was the quality of the boyds stock? Only have heard good things about them.

I've been pleased with the Boyds stocks I own. I wish the Axis stocks came with pillars, but, for the price, I am quite pleased. This is nice, of course, since options are so limited. I like the profile of the SSS stock, but couldn't bring to pay that much on my Axis projects.

I know some people have had issues with the black coating on Tacticools peeling or flaking off, but I've not experienced it.

Basic Member
    If you go the Tacticool route, upgrade to the laminate in anything other than the painted version. The wood is much better on the colored versions. They are much heavier also. So factor that in if you want a lighter version.

Basic Member
    for the heavier barrels you can go bull, varmint and magnum which is what i'm considering for my Edge(Axis) in 6.5cm or the 7/08. Jim at NSS has these in 24".

Bruce