Thread: Cost of a Guided Elk Hunt?

Basic Member

Cost of a Guided Elk Hunt?

Currently living in IA.

Have lived and hunted elk in WY- hunted 5 years, got a mulie every year, an antelope the only year I put in and 1 elk for 3 years trying.

Would like to hunt elk again, trying to get a handle on various options and their ROI.

Still have friends/family in WY. Could get an out of state tag and if accompanied by local resident hunt in any area. Pros- fairly cost effective, get to go hunt with some old friends. Cons- not super productive. Could spend a fair amount of time and money for the same 1/3 success we had before and in full disclosure the 1 elk I did find was more luck than skill.

Could hire a guide in WY/MT/CO/AZ/NM/etc etc etc. Pros- get to see some great country, usually have meat processing etc included, less of a hassle to set up areas, camps, horses and the such, higher (hopefully) likelihood of bagging a bull. Cons- no guarantees on where/when the bulls will be around, have never used a guide so no experience with how it all goes, higher cost.

Other options?

This year is obviously out so I'm looking at late 2015.

What is the ballpark cost associated with hunts like these?

For those who have chosen one option or the other what did you like, what would you have preferred be different?

What else to consider?

Brent
    Welllllll, I have guided and help outfit hunts for about 20 years, maybe longer....prolly longer. Ha

The pro for guided hunts is the lack of personal prep you have to invest. Basically you are investing in someone else to take care of the logistics and take you to their area where the outfitters expertise is supposed to give you the best opportunity to harvest a animal.

The con, if you are a good hunter and have a good area, you are wasting your money, unless you just want to experience some where or something new. For me, if I wanted a GOOD chance at a 400 plus bull I would need to leave my area and hunt somewhere such as AZ or NM with an outfitter. The other con is that it is hunting and you are rarely guaranteed 100% success.

IMO the best way to do an outfitter hunt is with a tight group of friends. The entire camp is dedicated to this hunt and you all know each other. I would not care too much for a solo hunt where other hunters are there I don't know. Plus for me, as a guide, I like the stories and brotherhood of a group of friends. I personally like 1 on 1 hunts the best, but 2nd best is a group.

Advice.... don't be the guy looking for a babysitter. Be the best hunter you can be: be in shape, have the best equipment you can buy, be proficient in all aspects of hunting, shooting, camping etc. The more prepared you are the better the hunt experience can be. This allows the guide to have a partner and really hunt to his potential. The biggest issue for guides is that they are very much inhibited by the client. The better the client, the better the guide responds....it is human nature.

Back country hunts on horse back are generally very rewarding but also the most rustic and difficult. They require the most logistics. 6500 to 8500. Ranch hunts with lodges are 7500 to 10500 typically.

Basic Member
    Good information, thanks for the reply.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    Good information, thanks for the reply.
    When you learn to read its important to also learn to read between the lines.
    Brent was being very honest in his responce to your question. Read and digest what he said very carefully.
    Then ask yourself if you want a good time, see some beautiful country,have fun amongst some buddies and maybe get an elk.
    OR, do you really want a nice bull elk and would be willing to wait if necessary for it to happen.
    Id personaly be looking at those private ranches in New mexico or Arizona if i really wanted a nice bull.

Basic Member
    Good points. Like I mentioned I've hunted for elk plenty of times, just not with much success. The terrain wasn't an issue, neither was the camping or shooting, just finding the buggers. We hunted public ground and the elk were smart enough to stick to the private property.
    Last edited by mattri; 10-02-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Brent
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    Good points. Like I mentioned I've hunted for elk plenty of times, just not with much success. The terrain wasn't an issue, neither was the camping or shooting, just finding the buggers. We hunted public ground and the elk were smart enough to stick to the private property.

Go to the Big Game section and look at the pictures I posted about elk hunting this year. This is public land. However, it is difficult to access public land, I do it mostly on foot and occasionally on horse back. If I get something down I prefer to use horses to get it out. If you paid me to take you hunting this is what you would see HOPEFULLY. It is hunting so things can go south, like if others hunters show up, or wolves come in. Again, you are looking at best opportunity to harvest.

The private ranchers offer the best opportunity if the ranches are managed correctly. Public land back country hunts are generally pretty rewarding if you enjoy roughing it. Ranches have big fluffy beds and hot showers etc. It is also why they cost so much.

FYI- public land back country hunts generally produce 300 class bulls depending on the state. Private ranches should offer 350 plus. The other option is to apply for a draw in a trophy unit and then pay a scout or outfitter to get you on the animals. Scouts are not outfitters and are limited in their interaction with the client. Idaho for example is a state that has trophy areas with bulls as large as 400 but are rare. When go to those units we expect 350 minimum. I personally look for 330 minimum with my bow. I like to hunt, could careless about killing anything usually.

Basic Member
    I hunted with Fishtail Ranch in Chama NM in 2011. It was a private lands hunt with lodging in their lodge. The hunt was 5 days/ 6 nights. 4 out of 8 hunters harvested bulls but 3 hunters passed on legal bulls trying to find one bigger. Cost at that time was $5000 plus $560 for license. Lee also offers backcountry hunts in southern Colorado. www.fishtailranch.com

Basic Member
    Wow that sounds very reasonable- thanks for the heads up.

Basic Member
    Just check his prices, now $6500. Here is a link to my elk photo on his site.

http://fishtailranch.com/Slideshow/E...Whitmoyer.html

Basic Member
    Utah trophy private ranch hunts here can be $10K
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !