Thread: Muzzle Break Help with a Savage Bear Hunter 16 .375R

jgrfans

Question Muzzle Break Help with a Savage Bear Hunter 16 .375R

Hello Savage Shooters,

I am trying to find the diameter of the OEM/stock muzzle brake on the 375R Savage Bear Hunter model 16. I want to get a clamp on muzzle brake for my brothers rifle. I am leaning towards the clamp on as a gift when he returns to the area on leave from the military next week. I found one I like from Kahntrol. The issue is Kahntrol needs to know the diameter of the stock muzzle break to make sure it will function properly. This is a problem since I can't measure the brake on the rifle #1- without giving it away and #2- I am out of state and not where the rifle is. The rifle is not a hunting gun as the stock, bolt handle and trigger have all been replaced/upgraded and the gun has been repurposed for long distance shooting.

Does any one have a stock muzzle brake they could measure? I called Savage and they would not give it to me. They suggested I go to the SAMMI site on the web. Did that and found nothing. Or does anyone have suggestions on how I can find this measurement without the rifle in hand - I am at a loss?

Thanks,

Andrew
    Last edited by jgrfans; 09-27-2014 at 12:38 AM.

I think I'm confused, are you trying to put a muzzle brake over a muzzle brake, or trying to put a clamp on over threads?
    That rifle has an adjustable muzzle brake like the boss system on a Browning. So that makes the barrel threaded. 98% sure it's a standard 30-cal thread; 5/8x24
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

jgrfans
    The Factory brake will not stay in the open position it constantly slides to about 1/3 open-closed after a few rounds down range making the rifle unuseable. My idea was to use a clamp on muzzle break over the factory brake locked into the closed position. The Folks over at Kahntrol feel this will fix the issue and work just fine thus solving the factory brakes wandering issues. I ordred a standard thread on muzzle break from a group in Canada however it is back ordered and will not get here while my brother is in town. Timing stinks and it's no ones fault but my own for procrastinating on the purchase. The Kahntrol break is about a $100.00 and seemed like a viable option so he can run the rifle next weekend and the week after. This muzzle break will then be used on another project and get used further down the road after the threaded unit arrives mid October.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrfans View Post
    The Factory brake will not stay in the open position it constantly slides to about 1/3 open-closed after a few rounds down range making the rifle unuseable. My idea was to use a clamp on muzzle break over the factory brake locked into the closed position. The Folks over at Kahntrol feel this will fix the issue and work just fine thus solving the factory brakes wandering issues. I ordred a standard thread on muzzle break from a group in Canada however it is back ordered and will not get here while my brother is in town. Timing stinks and it's no ones fault but my own for procrastinating on the purchase. The Kahntrol break is about a $100.00 and seemed like a viable option so he can run the rifle next weekend and the week after. This muzzle break will then be used on another project and get used further down the road after the threaded unit arrives mid October.
    Did you ask Savage if they'll repair/replace the muzzle brake?

jgrfans
    Feenix - yes that question was asked and it has been replaced once by Savage in 2013. The rifle was manufactured and purchased in 2012. Since the muzzle break has been an issue since almost day one on this rifle, I want to find another solution for the rifle other than the OEM brake.

Andrew

I can't help you with your diameter question, but here's my 2-cents on the rest of the situation.

The .375 Ruger was specifically designed to offer ballistics comparable to the .375H&H in a standard L/A cartridge length while using a shorter 20-22" barrel. The 116 Bear Hunter comes with a 23" barrel from the factory, which includes the length of the factory brake (I'm guessing around 2-2.5"). My recommendation would be to cut off the factory brake as then you'd have the option of recrowning for a clamp-on brake or rethreading to accept any aftermarket screw-on brake you'd like.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrfans View Post
    Feenix - yes that question was asked and it has been replaced once by Savage in 2013. The rifle was manufactured and purchased in 2012. Since the muzzle break has been an issue since almost day one on this rifle, I want to find another solution for the rifle other than the OEM brake.

Andrew
    That's a bummer! Since your brother's rifle is already threaded for a an MB, you should consider the threaded version (as J. Baker noted) ... but that just me. Good luck!

I too am looking into a clamp on MB for my new Savage 11 FCNS in .300 WSM just to try and was considering ...

Quote Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
    That's a bummer! Since your brother's rifle is already threaded for a an MB, you should consider the threaded version (as J. Baker noted) ... but that just me. Good luck!
    Only problem with that line of thought is that the factory brake is integral to the barrel, not a screw on. As I noted, it would have to be cut off and the barrel would have to be recrowned and threaded to accept an aftermarket screw-on.

urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Only problem with that line of thought is that the factory brake is integral to the barrel, not a screw on. As I noted, it would have to be cut off and the barrel would have to be recrowned and threaded to accept an aftermarket screw-on.
    Per OP, the MB has been replaced once, unless they replaced the entire barrel and MB unit. I sent a request on the "how to" with Savage Arms and will share their response if and when I get it.

There's an article under Articles > Gunsmithing here on how to disassemble and clean the factory on/off brake.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    There's an article under Articles > Gunsmithing here on how to disassemble and clean the factory on/off brake.
    Thanks but I have no permission to access! I've seen references before that they do come off (I know my gunsmith has done it) just can't seem to find them now, the closest is >>> http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?21981-On-Off-Muzzle-Brake-Removal&highlight=disassembly+muzzle+brake

ADDED: As promised, here's what I got from Savage Arms.

Debra Roberts (Savage Arms, Inc) <support@savagearms.zendesk.com>
    1:17 PM (3 hours ago)
    to me

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
    Your request (#65693) has been solved. To reopen this request, reply to this email or click the link below:
    https://savagearms.zendesk.com/requests/65693
    Debra Roberts (Savage Arms, Inc)
    Oct 01 03:17 PM
    Hi,
    Yes, your local gunsmith should be able to remove the muzzlebrake. It is threaded on and they need to line up the holes so they can remove the pins before it is unscrewed off the barrel
    thank you,
    Debbi
    Me

Sep 29 03:41 PM
    Can the on/off integral muzzle brake in the Savage Bear Hunter (and others) be removed by a competent gunsmith other than sending it off to you so it can be replaced by an after market muzzle brake? If so, please advise on the how. Thanks.

Last edited by FEENIX; 10-01-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Basic Member
    I am looking to special order a Savage Bear Hunter with a 416Ruger barrel. I came across your query and looked around.
    Found this. http://coretacsolutions.com/products_CTS_SVGBHMZ.htm
    It is a brake that is threaded specifically for a savage bear hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphguy View Post
    I am looking to special order a Savage Bear Hunter with a 416Ruger barrel. I came across your query and looked around.
    Found this. http://coretacsolutions.com/products_CTS_SVGBHMZ.htm
    It is a brake that is threaded specifically for a savage bear hunter.
    Witt Machine also does it for only $89 >>> http://wittmachine.net/index.php?mai...roducts_id=182