Thread: Mid 70's J series questions..

Pastprime

Mid 70's J series questions..

I bought, but haven't received yet, a rifle described as a mid to late 70's J series in .220 Swift. Been trying to learn by reading and cannot find a definite answer to whether I can use today's parts to change the bolt head and baffle to a .223. I've read that the very early rifles had a "C" type extractor that later changed to the current style. And, that some of the earlier bolt heads had the hole for the pin that holds the head on in a different location than today's rifles.

Can anybody shed a little light on my chances of doing a conversion to .223?? The rifle should be here by the end of next week, and I'd go ahead and buy the parts if I was 100% certain it was doable.

Hank

If this is the J Series that was over at accurateshooter then I think it will be a 110C J. These are a bit different than later Savages.
    Last edited by wbm; 09-25-2014 at 06:41 PM.

I would wait until the rifle gets to you. I think you might consider a 22-250 rather than a 223....lots less problems with parts for sure.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...iesJ-33670.htm

Basic Member
    The "J" series short actions used a long action bolt head. Finding a long action .223 bolt head won't be easy.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Pastprime
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    If this is the J Series that was over at accurateshooter then I think it will be a 110C J. These are a bit different than later Savages.
    That's the one. I've got a 6mm barrel on order that I hope could be put on it, but would not mind a small bolt face. If all else fails, maybe the Swift barrel can be cut off and rechambered to .22-250 or something similar.

Team Savage
    They're listed as a "J" series. That's the inbetweener. Longer than the current short action and shorter than the current long action. Got one in the early 80 and LOVE it!! I'll have it till the day I die. Action screw spacing is a little different and bolt body is a little longer. Everything else is the same. Those two parts can be a little hard to come by but they can be had. Move the front screw hole in a short action stock and the selection of available stocks is endless. Bolt heads are the same. Mine started life as a .223 and has been changed to almost anything you can think of from .221 Fireball to 6.8 SPC and quite a few in between. Been changed so many times I've forgotten what caliber it is right now.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Pastprime
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    The "J" series short actions used a long action bolt head. Finding a long action .223 bolt head won't be easy.
    Thanks for the information. I bought the rifle for varmint hunting so any of the .473 rims will work. It's just that I have this pile of .223 brass laying around and I like single shot rifles...

Team Savage
    I got my "J" bolt heads from SSS with no problems.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Pastprime
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    I got my "J" bolt heads from SSS with no problems.
    Thanks. That is very good to know.

Hank

Basic Member
    Why not just tool up to shoot the 220 swift? no flies on that cartridge. When the barrel is smoked, then change to a better barrel.
    Jeff518

Pastprime
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff518 View Post
    Why not just tool up to shoot the 220 swift? no flies on that cartridge. When the barrel is smoked, then change to a better barrel.
    The owner says there is quite a bit of throat erosion so I don't have much hope for accuracy from that barrel. And, I'd like something a little milder and quieter. But, I'll see how it does when it gets here.