Thread: Recommendation for new press?

Basic Member

Recommendation for new press?

I haven't reloaded in many years and have decided to get back into it because factory ammo is costing me way too much because I'm really shooting a lot these days. When I did reload, I had an old rock chucker press and it was slow go. I want something that I can crank out some volume but also make some really accurate match ammo. I'm building a 6.5 creedmoor so I'm going to need to do some load development. I shoot 9mm in my handguns, have an AR and a bolt gun in .223, a bolt gun and an Fal in .308 and now the 6.5. I want to be able to load some of the stuff like 9mm in quantity and the other stuff more towards accuracy. There are so many different options out there in presses and it's driving me nuts to which one to get. Started looking at the turret presses like the redding t-7 or lee classic turret and now looking at the progressive the the dillon 550 or hornaby lock n load ap progressive. I like the ideal of the turrets as you can buy extra turrets and keep everything set up when you get it the way you want it but it seems the lock n load is quick to set up when you get everything dialed in and may be more productive. I'm not sure what will make the most precise ammo though. I'm hoping to get precision and production if it's possible. What do you guy suggest?

I'm pretty happy with my Lee classic turret.
    Load 45, 40, 223 and 260 on it and run out is not an issue and I'm pleased with the accuracy of the loads it produces.
    With a case activated powder drop(mine flares the case at the same time) I can load pistol ammo at a decent pace.

Basic Member
    If you want long range match ammo you can almost forget about a turret press. If you want speed/high volume a Hornady LNL or the Dillion would be the way to go.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    So is a turret not going to give me the precision of the hornaby or dillion? I'd like to be able to the precise and production work on the same press if it means not using the automated powder measure. Seems like that's what gives you the most problems.

Basic Member
    Someone else will have to give the true lowdown on the Dillon but the LNL will have just enough give in the turret to not give extremely consistent seating depth for good long range ammo which also leads to runout problems. Short range and maybe mid range might be ok and ammo for tactical matches should be ok but long range target/score just doesn't do as good as with a single stage press.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

I really like my Dillon 550: easy to change calibers and can be used as single-stage or semi-progressive.

Heard lots of good about the Hornady L-N-L.

I also have an old RCBS JR single-stage for load development and low volume loading.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

D.ID
    I have a dillon 550, an rcbs rock chucker and an old redding c-frame.
    The rock chucker and the redding are neck and neck for accuracy but if I was buying it would be a rock chucker for sure.
    The dillon is a GREAT hi volume press............ but: hi volume and precision are seldom good bed fellows.
    I have loaded some large rifle on it and I do believe the press is reasonably capable but not to the same degree as a the rcbs "solid" platform.
    The dillon's configuration also encourages the user to move right along and that rarely is as precise as truly focused on one round at a time like a single stage forces you to do.
    For good ammo the dillon can do it but if you want the highest degree of precision......"Match" quality: slow down, pay attention and except that precision comes with a cost and in this case that cost is time.
    Sorting and prepping components is going to take more time than the difference in presses anyway.
    Now days my dillon is a full time 45acp press, my rock chucker is the work horse of the rifles and the redding is at the home away from home ranch that also includes my shooting range.

Vince
    If you want precision ammo you're looking at a single stage and the only one I use is the Forster Coax.
    It sounds like you may have need of two presses.

Basic Member
    I'll second the Forster coax for precision, very good design.

I call bs that a Dillon wont reload match quality ammo. I have been using one since 1990 and regularly load .308 and .223 for match grade ammo.I get less than .002 thou runout and that is acceptable. It all depends on the dies that are used and how you set them up.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

n4ue
    I have a Dillon 650 for 12 calibers. Also have a Rock Chucker. I agree the Dillon is an excellent tool and the support is TOP NOTCH.
    If your Dillon won't load match grade ammo, you don't know what your doing. Sorry. I don't prime with the 650, I much prefer to use a Lee hand tool while I watch tv. I do this regardless of caliber or which press it's destined for. So much easier to detect loose primer pockets, etc.

ron

bbqncigars
    I switched from a Dillon 550B (it mangled 25-20 brass) to a LNL AP for bulk loading. I do most other stuff on my CoAx. I have a Lee Classic Cast that is used solely for .50BMG.

jersurf101
    There is nothing wrong with the Lee classic turret. Unless you are looking to load in bulk the Lee is all you need. I personally don't have the deep pockets to feed the Dillon. It would be a waste for me. I can Load about 200 rounds an hour on my classic turret and have do need for greater output.

Can't go wrong with a Dillon 550 for Match Quality ammo also have a RCBS Rock Chucker modified with the Hornady conversion parts for quick die change.

D.ID
    How many folks here can load 1/4 moa ammo on there dillon?
    In all honesty I love my dillon 550 (couldn't do without it) but can't get the same groups from rifle ammo loaded on it. Good absolutely, very respectable, perhaps even 1/2moa.... do not get me wrong... but the same loads and components cycled threw my rockchucker consistently do better.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    How many folks here can load 1/4 moa ammo on there dillon?
    In all honesty I love my dillon 550 (couldn't do without it) but can't get the same groups from rifle ammo loaded on it. Good absolutely, very respectable, perhaps even 1/2moa.... do not get me wrong... but the same loads and components cycled threw my rockchucker consistently do better.
    My thoughts exactly.....Stick with a rockchucker, take your time and make the best ammo. If it takes more time, so what....it will make your barrel last longer.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

cstone
    I consider a single stage press from RCBS or Lee be a necessity. I do most of my reloading on my Dillon 550, however there are always little things that are faster, easier, and can be done precisely on my Lee single stage. Look at inline fabrication http://inlinefabrication.com/ for mounts and other accessories.

The Dillon 550 is an easy press to swap calibers. It isn't overly complicated, and Dillon is such an easy company to deal with. Buy once, cry once. Not the cheapest press, but you will not lose money if you decide to sell it later on down the road.

Basic Member
    Have been using the 30 year old rockchucker, hope to upgrade to a turret (t-7) this winter but considered another rockchucker to work in tandem. I'm not a competition shooter but like to work loads and target shoot. One thing I learned last month prepping once fired lake city brass was 3-4 in 100 had a small crimp in the primer pocket. Didn't find it till seating primers by hand and needed to pull the case holder.

Only guessing since I don't have a progressive, had these been run through before the dent was found, the defect would have stalled work and required taking down the set-up?

Turret heads for t-7 are more expensive than some other brands.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Appleseed View Post
    One thing I learned last month prepping once fired lake city brass was 3-4 in 100 had a small crimp in the primer pocket. .
    Yeah, the primers were crimped in. You need a swagger or reamer to remove them before seating a new primer. http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...hlight=crimped I use a Hornady (390751) reamer I adapted to use in my WIlson trimmer.

Presses? I use a fixed Rock Chucker and a well worn Partner.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    I call bs that a Dillon wont reload match quality ammo. I have been using one since 1990 and regularly load .308 and .223 for match grade ammo.I get less than .002 thou runout and that is acceptable. It all depends on the dies that are used and how you set them up.
    For the record:
    I have to concede that apparently it can be done.
    I did some research on this subject and contrary to my own experience found that several serious shooters have in fact used the dillon to great effect.
    Perhaps I did not invest enough time trying to tune my machine to achieve it's full potential.
    All though it appears to be possible the maintenance and/or modifications necessary to do so still appear to be a lot of trouble in comparison to a single stage.

joe_higgins
    Neither the 308 or 223 is a match gun. Match guns shoot in the 0ne's not the 2's or 3's most match is loaded on a single press.

trashcan
    Quote Originally Posted by giannid View Post
    So is a turret not going to give me the precision of the hornaby or dillion? I'd like to be able to the precise and production work on the same press if it means not using the automated powder measure. Seems like that's what gives you the most problems.

I use a Lee Classic Cast Turret press to reload 223, 40, 9mm and 6.5 creedmoor. I take out the indexing rod when I reload for the creedmoor. It works like a single stage then. I really like it. I just don't use the Lee powder measure that comes with the press kit when I am reloading for match ammo. Otherwise, it works great. Check out the press kit. I picked mine up for around $175