Thread: Axis trigger upgrade

wlamb

Post Axis trigger upgrade

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and I'm sure this has been asked 100 times before but I was searching and could not find any info on here. I have owned my savage coming up on 2 season. love the riffle HATE the trigger. What aftermarket triggers are available for the Axis XP? I seen the Timney Trigger and Rifle Basix trigger, are there others? which is better? Thanks in advance.

Basic Member
    I went with the RB Sav-1 for my Axis after reading that of the two the Rifle Basix could be adjusted for over travel while the Timney could not.

That said, the trigger is awesome after the 10 to 20 minute upgrade. Light, super crisp, no over travel.
    NRA Life Member

Basic Member
    +1 on the Sav-1

1$ fix

check this forum for the $1 spring fix. And you tube has demos on a couple ways to do this fix. Easy and can get to under 3lbs safely with no creep. I think this fix is pretty awesome, but its not a $80 h $100 adjustable trigger but plenty good for a hunting rifle. Just my thoughts.

Basic Member
    Not aftermarket, but you can fit an Accu-Trigger into the Axis (usually takes a little trigger modifying though).

Basic Member
    Accu-trigger safety blades cool but the plain trigger with a lighter spring, shimmed square with brass washers and polished with graphite/pencil lead really can be nice. None of the after market triggers fix the real problem which is the sloppy sear all ya can do with it is shim the slop out and put a little moly grease on the contact points.

SThomas3791
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    check this forum for the $1 spring fix. And you tube has demos on a couple ways to do this fix. Easy and can get to under 3lbs safely with no creep. I think this fix is pretty awesome, but its not a $80 h $100 adjustable trigger but plenty good for a hunting rifle. Just my thoughts.
    i did the "clicker pen spring" fix on my axis and i am very impressed with the function of it over the stock trigger. with so many great results i hear from people on this trigger job i wonder why the good people at savage dont just use the same trigger springs? when i did this modification i was only expecting marginal results, boy was i surprised on the difference over stock and like i said, it costed me an ink pen.

After a new spring and some polishing, mine is down to right at 2.5lbs. Now I need to find some shims. All the washers I can find are too thick. Guess I'm gonna have to try to find some shim stock or something.

wlamb
    Sorry been busy finally got a chance to get back to this thread, I've seen the do it yourself trigger job but havn't been able to find the right spring that will fit, thanks for the advice.

most any hardware store, farm supply store, NAPA/ auto parts store should have an assortment of small springs for just a few cents, also the 10 x 32 half inch long pan head screw for 50 cents. Snip off about a half inch of spring to start with. The springs I found fit tightly on the screw, just twist it on. I think on ebay there are new 'stepped' springs that fit right in the hole like the original hard spring, but they are softer. Never have tried one, the $1 fix works really well. Sure helps if you can find a trigger pull guage to use.

n4ue
    gumbo333, not to blow my horn, but I was one of the first to explain the "$1 trigger". Been doing it for years.
    First, the preferred screw is 10-24, NOT 10-32
    Second, the screw should not have a head, Pan, Socket or otherwise. The recess in the stock is small and the head 'might' bind in this area
    Third, the length should be 3/4". Use a Hex 'setscrew'....
    Forth, and lastly, the spring should NOT touch the screw. If you have to screw the spring onto the screw, you are cheating yourself.
    Having the spring larger in diameter than the screw allows compression over it's entire length. If you don't understand, Google "spring rate". Yes, the small portion above a captive screw will work, but it will be much more efficient when the whole spring is able to compress.

The 'light' replacement springs on eBay will reduce the pull, but will do nothing for the horrible over travel that the $1 job fixes.

ron

Yes you are correct about the screw size, 10 / 24, very sorry, I must use the 10/ 32 screw for something as I have several. I have never used the lighter stepped down spring you can buy, think they are $$$. I'm sure several things may work as the half inch pan head with the tighter spring sure does work pretty darned good for me, and is very safe. But your longer screw and looser spring may be better, something for me to try, most anything is an improvement. Thank you for your advise and thanks to everyone on this forum for being so very very helpful.

Halfnelson
    I had a little bit of bad luck with the Timney but the company ended up standing behind it and covered the shipping from myself back to the factory. At this point the customer service is on the right track.
    Last edited by Halfnelson; 10-02-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfnelson View Post
    I bought a timney trigger for my axis and am so disappointed in the trigger and the company. I could not get the Allen screw in far enough too engage the safety. So I have a 100 paper weight at the moment. The company will not pay for return shipping to them they keep saying its under warranty but if your into it for $100 and have to spend another 10 or 15$ to ship it back the service and warranty are pretty bad in my opinion. I felt dirty after I got of the phone with this company they made me feel crooked. Asked me if I used tite lock and if I bought a trigger that was out of the package. It was like they were looking for reasons to void the warrenty. FYI if you want to set it under 2.5 pounds it also slam fires easily. It seems as if the Allen screw on the sear is pointy enough that if you slam the bolt home the mechanism skips across the top of the Allen screw and fires.

Your better of with a lighter spring on the factory trigger.
    I understand you shouldn't have to replace parts on a $100 trigger but you could probably replace the safety screw at the hardware store for under a buck.
    It might be worth it just to avoid the hassle and the wait.
    The set screws I have seen on adjustable sears are flat on top. Pretty sure if I had one with a point that was causing problems I'd take a file to it.
    I'm hoping I can find someone local to tap my factory XP econo trigger for a sear adjustment screw.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Halfnelson
    go back to my last post for update.
    Last edited by Halfnelson; 10-02-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgin View Post
    Not aftermarket, but you can fit an Accu-Trigger into the Axis (usually takes a little trigger modifying though).
    this is the way I went on my Edge(Axis). works great and I have no complaints, just didn't have the bucks for the RifleBasix at the time. I have the Rifle Basix in other guns and feel they are well worth the money and install is simple. good shooting!

Bruce

N4UE, tried to send you a PM but your box is full... Certainly would like to pic your brain re: this 10-24 and spring job. Still looking for the proper spring.

I played around with the trigger fix and it worked pretty good, just didn't trust it. I looked hard at all the aftermarket triggers and decided to try the rifle basix on my axis. After a 20 minute install I am totally satisfied and can be adjusted any way I want it. I feel very confident and safe in it's function, it's a quality product and actually like it better than the accutrigger.