Thread: .223 primer pocket size problem

Basic Member

.223 primer pocket size problem

I have just started reloading .223/5.56. I have found that some - a noticeable number but far less than half - of the brass that I'm using has a primer pocket that is too small to accept small rifle primers from both Federal and CCI. There does not appear to be any particular brand correlation. All of my brass is saved from factory loads that have been shot from my rifle. Does anyone know why some of the primer pockets are smaller?

Basic Member
    I use a swagger mounted in a drill to uniform them. It works. Not a lot of fun.

Basic Member
    Are you sure the brass doesn't have crimped in primers?
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    are you sure the brass doesn't have crimped in primers?
    this!

Basic Member
    Now you guys are forcing me to show my ignorance. Why are the primer pockets crimped and what is a swagger? Neither is an issue on .308.

Basic Member
    What brand/headstamp is the brass the primers will not fit? Military brass of almost all makes has a crimped in or a staked primer.
    It can also be issue on military 308 brass.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

If they made prisoners prep 223 brass, there would be no more crime.LOL[IMG][/IMG]
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I am one that would never use such a tool. There are plenty of proper primer pocket swagers available. That thing would be nice for chamfering the mouth of a case with

Hey It has always worked for me, and that's all I care about, actually it has worked for a lot of shooters, I must have prepped like that over 100 K of them over the years, you can't go to deep because the cutter bottoms out in the primer pocket, and it take literally one second to do one piece of brass, and primer pockets are not they issue whenever I chuck a piece of 223, it is more due to the fact that I am trying to get 220 swift speeds out of a 223AI, which I really don't care about expense or longevity, due to military crimped 223 brass is cheap and abundant.

Dean

I use a vld tool and all you need to do is turn the drill on very slow and when it makes 3 revolutions,stop and you don't have to remove that much. Commercial reloaders have been doing the same thing for many years ti get rid of the crimp.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

If you look closely you can see the primer is still making almost full contact with the primer pocket, when primers come loose it is the primer pocket bore that opens up, not because there isn't enough surface wall contact.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    If you look closely you can see the primer is still making almost full contact with the primer pocket
    ..and if it wasn't for the radius between the top of cup and wall creating a gap for the brass they couldn't be crimped in to start with. Reaming only removes the brass that was pushed into that gap when crimped.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    ..and if it wasn't for the radius between the top of cup and wall creating a gap for the brass they couldn't be crimped in to start with. Reaming only removes the brass that was pushed into that gap when crimped.

Bill
    But the only ammo I find that is crimped is 5.56 mil-spec as they don't want a loose primer causing major problems on the battlefield and the SAW chamber has been reported to have looser tolerances than the M16. Dryflash3 on the ar15.com reloading forum has a nice drill mounted reamer for removing the crimp but I still use my press mounted RCBS tool http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235...swager-combo-2

Another fast tool is the Dillon swager........a fast way to remove the crimp and not remove any metal.