Thread: Model 16 aftermarket stock and magazine question. Confused!

Basic Member

Model 16 aftermarket stock and magazine question. Confused!

I have a Model 16 trophy hunter in 22-250 I just picked up for a Creedmoor build. I want to purchase a new aftermarket stock for it. My gun has the bottom bolt release and the cheap style axis magazine. I talked to the people at Stocky's as I like the Bell and Carson Medalist. They told me it wouldn't work because I had the detachable magazine. The bottom bolt release isn't the problem as they said it would work with it if it had the internal magazine. I asked them if I turned it into an internal magazine would it work and they said I have to go to an HS stock which costs quite a bit more and I'm not sure if I really like it. I need to replace the mag anyways as I don't believe the 22-250 will take the 6.5 creedmoor. I really don't care if it's a detachable magazine or not. I'd rather get rid of the cheap axis style mags and go with the internal magazine anyways. I'm not sure why I can't convert it as I thought all the short actions were the same anyways. Can anyone clarify this for me? Or does someone make a stock with the bottom metal in it already and all I need to do is buy a new mag that will work for the creedmoor? I figure Savage will sell me the parts for the internal magazine and rather not spend the extra money for the good steel bottom metal and metal magazines from savage. Also, i want to change this plastic trigger guard that came with the gun. Does anyone make an aftermarket trigger guard that is steel with the bottom release? I know the have them since I have another savage that has the steel metal guard and that gun also has a steel magazine and steel retainer clip for the mag that's alot better than this one. Thanks
    Last edited by giannid; 09-21-2014 at 11:52 PM.