Thread: Model 25 extractor sucks

Long Carabine

Model 25 extractor sucks

My Model 25 in .22 Hornet shoots great but the only way I can say it is this; Extraction sucks. This also goes for the plastic trigger quard /floor plate assembly. Mine has developed a crack right through where the front stock bolt is.

I replaced the extractor spring with a heavier one, and still have an occasional extraction fail. I quess as a last resort, I'll have to call Savage and relate the problem.

I recently bought a CZ 527 in .22 Hornet, and it will extract everytime. That Mauser type extractor would probably pull the rim of a case before it gave up.

I had the same extraction problems with a Savage Model 40. I believe I am done with Savage rifles. I just don't like carrying a cleaning rod with me in case an empty fails to extract.

Salvo
    The CZ 527 does not have a Mauser style controlled-feed extractor, it's closer to Sako push-feed style.

If a push-feed rifle fails to extract, you re-close the bolt and give it another go. You also investigate the load to see if might be a bit too hot.

Calling Savage sounds like the best course of action, if you are shooting factory loads.

I'm assuming here that you have already the removed the extractor and cleaned everything associated with it thoroughly, when you replaced the spring.

Flyndutchman
    what brand of brass are you having problems with? I found that Rem brass has very under sized rims according to hornet specs. the PPU brass is about 10% for undersized rims. I called Savage and they are going to send me a new extractor under warranty. I was just going to buy another one and try to modify it so it would close in tighter on the undersized rims but they told me the new ones they are supplying now cost about $39. Ouch! I finally got some Lil'Gun powder to try. The first 5 Remington cases loaded with it extracted without a problem whereas the H110 loads needed a rod to knock out 2 out of 5 of the same cases. Even the undersized PPU cases extracted with the Lil'Gun loads so pressure might be part of the problem.

Lil' gun powder is apparently made from "unobtainium" now. I haven't seen any on the shelves since 2012.

Flyndutchman
    Our local Sportsman's had a batch last week and I found 2# of the same lot in Spokane two days before so Hodgsons must have made a recent batch of it. Don't leave it sitting in a powder measure for long, something in this batch will eat the plastic powder hopper tube.