Thread: forster co ax press

LongRange

forster co ax press

Are any of you guys using this press?
    im thinking about up grading from my redding big boss 2 and looking for real world user reviews. Ive read all the reviews but they can be deceiving.

My Son got me one for Christmas about 4 years ago and I would not give it up for anything . I have been loading since 1965 and used about 6 different presses. I have a lot of trouble with old Arthritis and thought I was going to have too give up loading until I got it.

dcloco
    I am in the same boat as bythebook. No other single stage press than the Coax - period.

Basic Member
    Been using one as my main single-stage press for 20 years. Some features I like: Once you get the dies set, you can swap them out in a few seconds. The spent primers exit in a way that keeps the press clean. I use the same set of shellholder jaws for everything from 223 to 480 ruger. I'm left-handed, and the operation of the press is symmetric.

A couple of things you should know:
    1. The priming setup is pretty worthless. Get a hand primer.
    2. If you have RCBS or Redding dies, you will want a supply of Forster or Hornady lock rings. The RCBS/Redding rings are too thin and too small in diameter to work well with the Co-Ax die slot.
    3. Extremely long dies, like a benchrest/micrometer seating die for a magnum length (3.6") cartridge, may be too high to clear the stirrup-shaped void in the handle. For that reason I have a Redding Boss still sitting around.

Please ask if you have any questions.

Kevin

Vince
    I switched to a Coax press from a Lee Breechlock and couldn't be happier.
    I prime on the press and don't find it to be an issue. As for the finished rounds, the most concentric I've ever produced. I can't see myself loading on any other single stage. While it's true the micrometer type dies may not fit you may find you don't need them. I didn't but I do spent a little more time measuring than when using the micrometer dies. It's a trade off. For me the concentric ammo, ease of changing dies, and effortless priming makes the trade off worth it.

spuy
    This is a good quality item. I load with micrometer dies, using the new level with a bigger opening. Kleeber has pretty much summed it up. It is a pain in the rear to set up the priming tool. I only use it for my 243 and once I got it to work perfectly, I have not touched it again.
    You will not be disappointed.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by spuy View Post
    This is a good quality item. I load with micrometer dies, using the new level with a bigger opening. Kleeber has pretty much summed it up. It is a pain in the rear to set up the priming tool. I only use it for my 243 and once I got it to work perfectly, I have not touched it again.
    You will not be disappointed.
    So forster makes a larger handle to to clear the mag size micro seating dies?

BW64
    Switched from Lee breechlock also. Couldn't be happier. Primer function works well for me. 9,38,45,223,243. Only thing I hand prime with my 21st Century is my benchrest .308 cases. Check Graf & Sons they usually have a sale. got mine there for $300.

BW

LongRange
    I hand prime all my loads so no worries there...I am wondering about the handle clearing my mag seating dies though.

I've been eyeing a co-ax also.
    I'd like to get a nice SS press.

Basic Member
    The coax is the best bar none. I could never go back to another press.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    So forster makes a larger handle to to clear the mag size micro seating dies?
    LR: I poked around the web a bit and it looks like the current model (B3), which has been in production for quite a while, has a deeper yoke so the handle will clear longer dies. With my 20 year-old press, I load 7mm Mag with Forster Micrometer dies. I'm thinking the current production will handle most anything, then. Sorry to have planted that doubt in your head...you learn something new every day!

Kevin

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by kleeber View Post
    LR: I poked around the web a bit and it looks like the current model (B3), which has been in production for quite a while, has a deeper yoke so the handle will clear longer dies. With my 20 year-old press, I load 7mm Mag with Forster Micrometer dies. I'm thinking the current production will handle most anything, then. Sorry to have planted that doubt in your head...you learn something new every day!

Kevin
    thanks kevin...I was going to just stick with my redding big boss but now im going to call forster in the morning and ask them about the handle clearance. if it will infact clear my micro dies im going to get the co-ax next month...ill post up what they say.

LongRange
    ok i just got off the phone with forster...the tech said the handle clearing the micro dies was addressed a LONG time ago...he also said the hornady dies are probable the tallest and the handle clears them....**** it im going to be late on the house payment again!!

Vince
    ok i just got off the phone with forster...the tech said the handle clearing the micro dies was addressed a LONG time ago...he also said the hornady dies are probable the tallest and the handle clears them....**** it im going to be late on the house payment again!!
    Great choice Cobber!

bbqncigars
    I've been happily using my CoAx since '71. It ruined me for lesser presses.

michaelnel
    I just ordered one of these this morning to replace my wobbly Rockchucker Supreme.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelnel View Post
    I just ordered one of these this morning to replace my wobbly Rockchucker Supreme.
    post up your thoughts after you use it im curious to hear what you think.

bbqncigars
    One thing I've found helpful in dealing with odd rounds that the CoAx shell holder doesn't like is to take a standard holder for that round and modify the base to resemble a round that will fit. This is what I do to load 45-70 and .45 Auto Rim in mine.

michaelnel
    post up your thoughts after you use it im curious to hear what you think.
    I have loaded several hundred .308 and 6mm BR with it now.

Pros:
    Very good "feel" when doing things like seating bullets
    Super leverage makes FL sizing very low effort
    Automatic jaws on shell holder work great
    Floating dies are easy to change
    Decapping is a dream, the way every single primer goes into the little jar
    Ammo made on this thing is the most accurate I have ever made

Cons:
    I am a right hander, and am used to bringing cases into and out of the case with my left hand. That is awkward on this thing because of the straight links getting in the way. I ordered a set of the curved links from Inline Fabrications to help address this
    Haven't found any other cons yet

I have mine mounted on an Inline Fabrications Ultra Mount (the same one I used for the Rockchucker). I just ordered the top plate for the Co-Ax and it works great. However, with the press up that high, the long handle is WAY up there. I ordered and installed the small ball handle for it which is plenty long enough.

I like it, wish I had switched over to it years ago.

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the pro's on this press. I've been eyeballin these for a while now. I'll be
    needing to run this past the First Sgt of course . DB