Thread: Been Elk hunting a little.

Brent

Been Elk hunting a little.

Thought you all might enjoy a few pictures.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    Love it over there! My boys will be headed that way in about a month to hunt those critters. I'll be headed to Montana about then , but just to hunt upland birds and deer. Beautiful pictures thanks for sharing!

Looks like you are having a great trip Brent. Elk are starting to get it on here in the Zuni Mountains. Been a very good summer with above average rain.....makes it nice.

Basic Member
    Nice pics..........elk are my favorite.........
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

romad97
    That is pretty awesome.

Those are some nice bulls there

jb6.5
    That's awesome!!! ONE DAY, I want to go kill an elk. Not to many of em running around here in ms. Lol

Great shots--it looks like super-imposed over tree-rubs?
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Wow, I spent days walking dark timber, I am yet to encounter a living Elk.
    Great photos.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Love your pics! Looks like I will miss elk hunting this year. My buddy and I are going antelope hunting instead; he hasn't hunted "big game" for a number of years since his wife died. Going late Oct, so maybe can work in a cow hunt to stock the freezer.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing! I plan to go out west one day to take one. Guess youll just have to keep posting pics lol
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Brent, awesome pix ... thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Looks like you are having a great trip Brent. Elk are starting to get it on here in the Zuni Mountains. Been a very good summer with above average rain.....makes it nice.
    I hunted the Zunis in the late 1990s when I was stationed at Kirtland ... beautiful country. Good luck!

Brent
    Update. I had a week of filming for Outdoors International and we called in some nice bulls but the hunters couldn't get it done.

I skipped a week and headed back up for the end of September hunt. I left Monday and set up camp Monday night. Called in 9 bulls on Tuesday and don't have all the pictures and video loaded up yet. I got into a small rut group that had a couple of bigger bulls and some rags and 8 cows. The 2 bigger bulls were too busy with each other to deal with me and wouldn't come in. Each time one would come toward me the other would jump a cow and they would be at each other again. The larger of the 2 bulls should be around 330 class. He had good antler mass but his body was not any larger than the smaller 6x6. As a result the smaller bull was giving the large bull a real run for his money it would appear. Anyway, I took a risk and stole the herd from these 2 bulls and hoped they would realize they lost control and come charging in, BEFORE, the lead cow got to me. Well, she got to me first and spooked, of course. I stopped the cows and confused them long enough to entice the 2 bulls to come in a bit closer, but they held up at 55 yards. I could see 1 bulls brow tines and his vitals through small openings. The other bull was mostly hidden still. Since I had only seconds left and was convinced those 15-16 brow tines belonged to the bigger I threaded my arrow through the trees. 100 yards later I discovered I shot the small bull. Crud, he is a brute for his age, very young for his antler mass. Too bad, in a couple years I think he would be pushing 350. It was hot and hard pull off the mountain so I barrowed my buddies horses.

A couple of days later I went back up to get camp and hunt wolves. I was fortunate enough to locate a pack and call them in. I should have had 2 with my bow, but the 2nd wolf was freaked out by the 1st I shot and saw me draw on him. He too was a large male and after he spooked I only had a head shot. I was trying to get a distance on him, estimated 55 yards, but by the time I settled in on my pins he ducked out of sight.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

SWEET Brent!
    Last edited by wbm; 10-01-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Congrats, very nice, how did have to wait for the tag?

Brent
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    Congrats, very nice, how did have to wait for the tag?

It was an over the counter public land hunt, no wait. We have some draw units but I didn't draw. Hope next year I can get a tag in a big bull unit, but odds are against me.

Basic Member
    Congrats on the awesome harvests ... and thanks for sharing.

Brent
    Here are some more photos

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Brent
    more
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Brent
    [IMG][/IMG]

Brent
    [IMG][/IMG]

Congrats on both animals! Thanks for sharing, really enjoy the pics too, kind of a small hobby of mine that Im just gettin into.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Jettn
    Great pic's......and looks like great hunting.....awesome.......going on my first elk hunt in Montana this year.....can't wait

D.ID
    Great elk pics, Thanks for sharing.
    A special thanks for killin that other thing:)
    Back to elk, We have one down three to go.

Brent
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    Great elk pics, Thanks for sharing.
    A special thanks for killin that other thing:)
    Back to elk, We have one down three to go.

Thanks. I am having SCI score that skull when the drying period is up. It appears it might be #4 archery. They are so hard to hunt with a bow that I feel fortunate, lucky, and happy I did all the right things at the right time. I regret not being a bit more confident in the shot placement on the 2nd wolf now.

Congrats on the Elk.

Wolves are why I got into Long Range shooting. I have built 6 Savage rifles now with the goal of being able to build accurate and affordable predator and varmint rifles. I have toyed with 204s, 260, 6.5x284 (3 so far), 7-08, 243, and my latest build I will have done this week is a 6.5 SAUM. After I finish the cerakoting and assembly I will start on a 7 Mag project and new 243. I have 2 6.5-284's and will convert 1 of those to the 243. It is a 26" Shaw with 1.8 twist and I will shoot 105 bergers. My go to rifle is a 6.5-284 with 28.5" schnieder barrel topped with a NF 5.5-22 x 56. It puts a 140 VLD down range at 3020 fps currently. I generally spend the winter chasing predators so I hope it is a good year.