Thread: Help findng 223 rem bolt head , front bolt baffle, extractor

Help findng 223 rem bolt head , front bolt baffle, extractor

I just ordered a prefit SS match 223 rem varmint barrel and recoil lug and barrel nut from Jim at Northland Shooter Supply, they are in stock so I will receive them a few days. This is my first time switching barrels. I'm converting my 10 FCP 308 win to a 223 rem. Jim said that I will also need a 223 rem bolt head, a front bolt baffle, and extractor, and ejector, and mag box or a follower. I called Pacific Tool, they don't stock the 223 rem bolt head, it will be aprox a month for delivery. They also don't carry the baffle , ejector or the extractor. I checked a few places and the bolt heads are out of stock. Does anyone know where I can find the items that I need to complete this barrel switch ?

Team Savage
    Check with Gun Shack

Thanks drybean, I called Gun Shack and ordered the bolt head and the front bolt baffle, they will ship in the next day or so. I guess I can use the extractor and the ejector from the 308 bolt head. I still need to find a follower or mag box. I'm going to call Savage in the morning to see if they have them in stock.

Basic Member
    Lefty i know the ejector is the same and i believe the extractor is the same now. I could be wrong but i think they used to be a bit longer a few years ago and the went to basically a universal extractor.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I just ordered a prefit SS match 223 rem varmint barrel and recoil lug and barrel nut from Jim at Northland Shooter Supply, they are in stock so I will receive them a few days. This is my first time switching barrels. I'm converting my 10 FCP 308 win to a 223 rem. Jim said that I will also need a 223 rem bolt head, a front bolt baffle, and extractor, and ejector, and mag box or a follower. I called Pacific Tool, they don't stock the 223 rem bolt head, it will be aprox a month for delivery. They also don't carry the baffle , ejector or the extractor. I checked a few places and the bolt heads are out of stock. Does anyone know where I can find the items that I need to complete this barrel switch ?
    Darn You Lefty!!

Here I was minding my own business when I spotted the title of your post and thought, "Gee I've got a 223 Savage short action, I'll just poke my head in and see what Ol' Lefty is up to; maybe I can learn something useful." Then I see the magic words , "IN STOCK" and I think, "I haven't talked to Jim in a little while, I'll just give him a call because there's no way he'd have a 223 Wylde chambered, 8 twist,long lead, 26 inch stainless steel barrel in stock… I'll just visit with him for a while." I almost lucked out because I reached his wife and Jim was out running errands; but darned if he didn't call me right back!! Before I knew what I was doing my credit card was in my hand and we were ringing up the barrel, and oh yeah, the other must haves like barrel nut, recoil lug, and metal trigger guard. OF COURSE HE HAD IT IN STOCK…and how did I know that...from reading your post!! Thanks a lot! This was supposed to be a long term project that I was going to piece together a little bit at a time. Yeah right :-(

I am lefty, have ptg coming... pm me if i can help... .223 sa off of 12flv

Hi hnts4fun, I'm glad I could help !! It's always fun buying stuff for rifles. It's great Jim has all that stuff in stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by hnts4fun View Post
    Darn You Lefty!!

Here I was minding my own business when I spotted the title of your post and thought, "Gee I've got a 223 Savage short action, I'll just poke my head in and see what Ol' Lefty is up to; maybe I can learn something useful." Then I see the magic words , "IN STOCK" and I think, "I haven't talked to Jim in a little while, I'll just give him a call because there's no way he'd have a 223 Wylde chambered, 8 twist,long lead, 26 inch stainless steel barrel in stock… I'll just visit with him for a while." I almost lucked out because I reached his wife and Jim was out running errands; but darned if he didn't call me right back!! Before I knew what I was doing my credit card was in my hand and we were ringing up the barrel, and oh yeah, the other must haves like barrel nut, recoil lug, and metal trigger guard. OF COURSE HE HAD IT IN STOCK…and how did I know that...from reading your post!! Thanks a lot! This was supposed to be a long term project that I was going to piece together a little bit at a time. Yeah right :-(

Hi hnts4fun, I'm glad I could help !! It's always fun buying stuff for rifles. It's great Jim has all that stuff in stock

Quote Originally Posted by Digduggy View Post
    I am lefty, have ptg coming... pm me if i can help... .223 sa off of 12flv
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm converting my 10 FCP 308, so I don't need an action.

I haven't heard back from Savage yet about a 223 rem mag box for my conversion from 10 FCP 308 win to 223 rem. the 308 has a flush fit magazine, so can I just get a 223 rem magazine that fits that rifle ? Does anyone have what I need for sale ?

Basic Member
    Pm sent to you

Quote Originally Posted by clintsrv View Post
    Pm sent to you
    I answered your PM