Thread: 7-08 Axis not grouping well with a Caldwell DFT lead sled

axisrod

7-08 Axis not grouping well with a Caldwell DFT lead sled

Hi guys, I have an Axis in 7-08 that I've remounted in a Boyd's stock and swapped out the trigger for a Timney.
    Shooting Federal Fusion 140 grain and using my lead sled with about 20 lbs of weight is giving groups in the 2 -3" range. I've tried Barnes Vor-tx, Federal Power-Shok and Winchester factory loads too, all with the same results.
    Have any of you that have the same rifle/caliber run into this situation and what did you do to get improved groups. My research showed that the Federal Fusion factory loads were the preferred choice. The rifle is still fairly new with only about 60 or so rounds down the tube.
    I checked the base, ring and action screws and all are tight. It has a Vortex scope on it that I know is functioning properly that I took off another rifle.
    Anyone else had a tempermental Axis like this in 7-08?

Tb

Basic Member
    Welcome to the forum AxisRod! Should start with the disclaimer that I am very new to shooting so please take my suggestions and experience with a grain of salt.

First, I have a 7mm-08 as well and tried using the exact same led sled/setup when I first started shooting and had the same terrible results. For whatever reason, it seemed next to impossible to get behind that thing and get comfortable. Maybe try a new setup with a decent front rest and a rear bag or rear rest that may help some. Also, I noticed you said you only had about 60 rounds down the tube, but you have already tried 4 different types of ammo. So did you change your zero on your scope every time you changed ammunition? I was told recently that when you change bullet manufacture, weight and even primer in some cases that you should re-zero your scope. Reason being that it will affect your point of impact. So if you zeroed with 120gr, Barnes Vor-Tx and then after 10 shots switched to the 140gr Winchester it may have moved you off your POI ever so slightly.

Next, as you probably know there are a multitude of opinions on barrel break-in and I won't start a discussion here. My suggestion is pick some decent ammo like the Barnes, zero your rifle, practice good fundamentals, and give it 40 rounds or so and see if your gun settles in. Many claim that it takes 60-80 shots just to get your barrel in a condition where it will shoot with proper accuracy, although I do not know if that it true or not.

Can you post some your groups? Some of the more experienced members here may be better able to diagnose the issue by looking the vertical and/or horizontal dispersion of your shots.

Good luck and keep us updated.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

n4ue
    Sumtin' ain't right with your set-up. Sorry to say.
    I have four 7mm-08s, including a Rem XP-100 (14"). My Axis will shoot 3 rounds into one hole at 100 yds.
    This is a factory stocked rifle using 139 gr Hornady spire points. Powder is 41.0 gr of Varget with BR2 primers.
    The rifle has had my 'infamous' $1 trigger job and the stock has been reinforced with epoxy and lead weights.

Yes, I use HBN coated bullets and bbl. I have also produced fantastic groups with this rifle using the 110 gr TNT with 48 gr of RL-15 and CCI-200.
    These rounds were all developed with once fired brass, neck sized and OAL adjusted to .010" off the lands.
    The other rifles (Ruger American and TC Encore) shoot 'almost as well', but the Axis is king. As usual.....

If in doubt, PM me and I'll send target photos.

ron

Basic Member
    how are you holding the rifle in the lead sled? It probobly seems stable but maybee its not sitting on/in the rest good enough. Are you holding the forend?

axisrod
    Thanks guys for the quick responses! I initially adjust my scope at 50 m. And then move out to 100 m. I then have gone with 3 shot groups and getting the results in my post.
    I haven't tried any other weight but 140 grain and have only shot factory loads so far. Have any of you had good groups with factory loads and if so could you advise group size, weight and brand? As the rifle will be used mainly for mule and whitetail I'm leaning towards a premium bullet 120 grains sighted 2" high at 100. Let me know what your thoughts are. As already mentioned it may just be that I need to put a few more down the barrel before the rifle settles in. I'm also thinking that my technique with the leadsled may also need tweaking . Worse case scenario is going back to bags.

Tb

Basic Member
    I am curious how your rifle shot in the factory stock.
    There could be some problems with the new stock fit up

Jack

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    If you're using a Boyd's stock on your Axis, be sure to check the tightness of the action screws especially if it's not bedded or pillared. A few of us found out they like to loosen from the wood compressing.
    I had to retighten mine a total of 4 times before they settled in.

Also, maybe try a lighter bullet. I noticed with my 7-08(s) - they seem to prefer a 120gr Nosler or a 130gr Sierra MK. The 140's were a pain in my gazoonies. Fine tuning the powder charge was more trouble than I cared to go thru so I stay with the lighter bullets.
    Good luck with it.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

axisrod
    Certainly feeling welcomed in this forum and my thanks for that guys. The rifle shot similar groups with the factory stock before I installed the Boyds one. Good info on the action screws, will keep an eye on them. I did check the other day after the range visit and they were snug, but I'm seriously considering bedding the action as it won't hurt and another fun project. I too am wondering if the lighter weight bullets are this rifle's preference and will try to source some here. The problem up here in British Columbia is supply as I'm sure has affected you folks south of the 49th. Used to not be an issue until a few years ago but as in life things change and not always for the best.
    All the best gang!

Tb

Basic Member
    I have had pretty good luck with the 139gr Hornady Whitetail Interlock. Was grouping around 1 to 1.5 which for standard factory loads with no modifications to the rifle at all seems perfectly acceptable.
    Last edited by Rosco; 09-19-2014 at 08:26 PM.

axisrod
    Good to know Rosco, thanks.

Tb

axisrod
    Follow up posting here guys, I went to the range and shot Barnes' factory load in 120 grain off sandbags. I'm dialed in now 2" high with a 3/4" group at 100 m. Another fellow at the range was using a Caldwell Lead Sled (not the double tube like mine) and was shooting 3 1/2 to 4" groups with handloads and factory in both 165 and 180 grain. I told him about my concerns with not being able to get good groups when I used my DTF Lead Sled and suggested he try shooting off the bags. He was really frustrated, obviously, and said that he was leaving on this coming Monday for an elk hunt and didn't know what he was going to do. After about 15 minutes he said well I got a couple of rounds left so I might as might try the bags. Although the windage was off about 2" both rounds were touching. So it would seem that for some of us anyway our 'Lead Sled technique' leaves something to be desired. I did mention to him about either holding the barrel down with his offhand or pulling down on the sling again to keep the barrel from jumping.
    I now have confidence in both my rifle/load combination and my ability to put one where I want out to 200 or so this hunting season. I'll bed the rifle after I've gotten my deer and hopefully a black bear too :)
    The axis is a great rifle!!!

Tb

Basic Member
    Glad to hear it got worked out!!

Basic Member
    You two fellows aren't the first to report that you couldn't get accuracy using the Lead Sled :-((

I just wonder if preventing a rifle from recoiling is a bad thing?

The "Rail Gun"shooters allow their rigs to recoil ? ? ?

axisrod
    I believe there's is something to the free recoil issue. Now that I know what the rifle/load combination I'm using is capable of I am going to experiment with 'restraining' the rifle with my hand to see it that makes a difference and improves things. As well, I plan on contacting Caldwell and see if there's specific procedures to use. I have thought about adding a 'decelerator' recoil pad to the rear support of the sled to rest the butt of the rifle against, as perhaps the basic padding is still causing excessive movement even with the light recoil impulse of my rifle. Anyway, I'll post what I discover when I get the chance to further investigate, at the moment hunting season take the priority LOL. :)

Tb

Basic Member
    I've been using lead sled for many years now without having any problems. Here's my latest >>> http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...t=1st+shortmag
    Last edited by FEENIX; 09-29-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Basic Member
    They have their uses. Definitely torture testing is one!
    Last edited by sixonetonoffun; 09-30-2014 at 12:06 AM.