Thread: Confirming Axis 223 Twist on model 19046

Confirming Axis 223 Twist on model 19046

OK, I'd like to pose a question which has been answered before, but I would prefer confirmation.

WalMart sold an Axis in 223 Rem, with Model # 19046. This has been said to be a special run for WalMart in a 1 in 7 twist, but I cannot confirm this to be true or false. I pulled a patch through the bore last night and seemed to average a little under an 8 twist so maybe I'm missing something due to slip and it's a 7.

Calling Savage this morning, their parts dept has the barrel listed as 1 in 9 on the 19046 model.

Is there anyone who has official word from Savage (other than from the parts dept) which confirms twist rate in this model run to be 1 in 7 or otherwise, and where did the information originate? I think "Stockrex" had replied to an earlier post, possibly he could elaborate here. What SN range had this barrel etc.

If we can get a firm answer on this it might be a good post to make permanent.

Thanks for any input!

n4ue
    Pretty interesting. I have a bunch of these rifles purchased through both Wally World and my LGS. I've pulled some bbls and rechambered the rest. I might even have an 'untouched' one. ha ha. I do have the stock bbls stored in the reloading room.

However, It's hard to believe that WM would have requested and received a special twist. What would be the purpose? CSI?? Interesting.
    I do have 1:7 twist, but it's a Colt HBar......... I just always 'assumed' that the Axis 223s were 1:9......

ron

Basic Member
    I too have this model. No info on the box. WM label said 1:8 but that is the only printed info I have seen. Deemed unreliable at best. I would speculate the barrels don't meet spec 1:9 so rather then scrap the rejects they sent them out as 2nd tier WM specials. Would be cool with me if the 77gr bullets shoot well with it.

62gr is the heaviest I've tried 50gr the lightest. I avoided the very light & very heavy bullets but now I think it's worth giving some heavier bullets a try.

Basic Member
    The why part is easier. Unique Models mean no competitive prices to match when each big box has their own unique model. Often the only change is something added ie scope bases ect...

I was wondering if maybe Savage had a run of surplus in 1 in 7 barrels and WalMart made a deal for a good price for a given qty. That would let Savage clear inventory, and Walmart clear a better markup. Good for both companies. All conjecture though, but, similar has happened with companies on bid purchase deals in the past. It's always about the money at some point.
    Last edited by OldLobo; 09-26-2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: grammar