Thread: Savage 111 Hog Hunter with scope

jasonsim

Savage 111 Hog Hunter with scope

I am wanting to buy a model 111 Hog Hunter with the green stock short barrel and accu trigger in .223. The barrel comes with iron sights which is a big part of the reason I chose this model.
    I want to mount a scope to it but keep the iron sights usable. I was told to look for a side mounted scope. I called the only gunsmith around where I live and asked about getting it mounted but he wasn't much help. I called Savage directly and they told me they don't know of any scope rings/ mounts that will work for what I want.
    After researching a little I found some scope rings that are raised higher and are open to allow for the use of the iron sights but they are made for specific rifles.
    Anyone know of a mount for the 111?

Basic Member
    Start with any weaver style base for the hog hunter (there are many options) then add these:http://www.millettsights.com/mounts/...-scope-mounts/
    model # # se007030

I've never done it, but that model is for weaver bases.

Or, try here: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/139...er-style-rings
    Last edited by foxx; 09-16-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Basic Member
    On the other hand, the open sights on Hog Hunter are very tall... there may not be any see-thru's that will work.

If it were me, I'd just go with a low power variable scope like a 1.75-6 or 2-7 or 1-4 or something similar with Leupold Quick Detachable Weaver Rings so that you can install, remove and reinstall the scope at will. I bet if you do, though, you'll likely just leave the scope attached and carry at low power.

Basic Member
    I wound up taking the iron sights off of mine because the rear sight is soo darn tall, I assume to clear a large diameter silencer.

I doubt that the see thru mounts will work with the tall sights. If you want to keep the iron sights try a one piece base and use quick release rings.

Mine is in 308 and I really like the way it handles. Mine shoots 3/4 MOA with 168 and 165 gr bullets and that is about as good as I can hold. Many folks complain about the plastic stock, it doesn't bother me and I don't worry about scratching it when I hunt. If I used a bi-pod it probably would bother me. I bet you will be happy with a hog hunter!

sdeeter19541
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    On the other hand, the open sights on Hog Hunter are very tall... there may not be any see-thru's that will work.

If it were me, I'd just go with a low power variable scope like a 1.75-6 or 2-7 or 1-4 or something similar with Leupold Quick Detachable Weaver Rings so that you can install, remove and reinstall the scope at will. I bet if you do, though, you'll likely just leave the scope attached and carry at low power.
    That's what I did to my Alaskan...low power scope, quick release mounts. The rear sight is partially in the path of the scope (32mm), but you don't see it in the sight picture.

Gypsyrt
    I used a EGW rail on my hog hunter with Warne QD rings and a Nikon 3-9 40 scope

Take off the scope and use the irons they are high enough to see above the rail.

Works well for me on my hog hunter

alphapaintballref
    It might be different hunting hogs (which, between the caliber and the name of the gun I assume you're doing), but carrying in Alaska, I had a 2-7 Leupold, and I kept it on 2 while walking in case something jumped out close. I used to own a 110 with see-through scope rings and I found it forced me to assume an uncomfortable shooting position so I could see through the raised scope, with my jawbone on the stock instead of my cheek.