Thread: I need a pair of inexpensive binoculars

dirtdigger

I need a pair of inexpensive binoculars

With the hunting season almost upon us this is one thing that I need to get in the next week or two. I would like to spend no more than a hundred bucks or so. Do you think I can get something decent for this kind of money or I should wait and save? I think I can borrow a pair like I did previously this time around as well although I didn't really like those ones too much. Thanks for your input!

I use a pair of Nikon 10X25 compact binos that I keep in my hunting pack. Not sure where you are hunting but around here we really don't need much more then that. I think I paid around $60 for them used on Ebay. I can't remember which model. If you really want to know I will dig them out later today when I get home from work.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Leupold Yosemite's. Way more glass than anything in the price range. I'd recommend the 6x first, then the 8x if you just can't live with 6x. I don't care for 10x in a small diameter bino due to limited light transmission at dusk/dawn.

Working with optics every day, the honest answer is no, you cannot get a decent pair for $100. I would wait and save until you could get a pair of Vortex Diamonbacks, around $200.
    More shooting, less typing.

My vortex vipers In 10x are absolutely fantastic. Keep an eye peeled for good deals, I got my Dad and I a pair for $300 shipped a piece after new years last year.

As far as cheap compact binos go, I really like the Bushnell Permafocus. I have some that I picked up on clearance at the local wally world and didn't expect much when i bought em. I've been using over a decade and they are great for scanning the woods and field edges here in the south. Just look through them and everything is clear and in focus with no adjustments. This feature comes in super handy for the type of hunting I do and makes it really easy to see into the edges and brush with no blur. Also very handy at sporting events, watching critters in the yard, checking job sites from a distance etc. Might not be as advantageous for looking across vast expanses such as longer range spot and stalk situations. I hope you find something that's right for your application.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Nikon monarch $179 plus use a 20 off coupon at cabelas, great bino in low light.
    newbie from gr, mi.

JCalhoun
    Konus has good binos for the money.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Working with optics every day, the honest answer is no, you cannot get a decent pair for $100.
    And there you have it.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    And there you have it.
    I got a pair of redfield 10x42 new for 129$ and they feel like a $300+ Pair of binos.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    I got a pair of redfield 10x42 new for 129$ and they feel like a $300+ Pair of binos.
    I have tried the redfields at cabelas, nice binos,
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    decent yes great no. might want to look at bushnell
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    I've got a set of Vortex diamondback 12x50's. Paid about $200 for them. They have Vortex's full replacement warranty which is excellent, but they are on the heavy side if you're doing a lot of walking. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the 12x42 Nikon Monarch's. Much lighter, slightly better optics, and often referred to as the best bino's in their price range.

thomae
    I've had a lot of cheap binos. They are better than nothing.
    I then saved my money and bought Leupold Mojaves 8 x 42. GREAT binos, got them with some Dicks Sporting goods reward points, so my out of pocket expenses were not as much as retail.

After he tried mine, a friend bought a pair, but he opted for the 10 x 42s. He had borrowed mine, and ended up liking the 8 x 42s better than the 10 x 42.

They are lightweight enough that I don't have a problem carrying them around all day in the field.

I am sure there are other great binoculars out there, but I really, really like my Leupold Mojaves.

Bino's are one of those things where how much you should really spend on a pair depends entirely on how you intend to use them.

East of the big river hunters don't typically have bino's glued to our eyes for extended periods of time. The cover is to thick and/or the distances being glassed are much more limited so they're only using them occasionally when they think they see or hear something, or for a quick scan of the edge of a woods across an open field. In this limited role one can get by with much cheaper/lesser quality bino's.

Out west is a different story though as a hunters bino's are probably more important a hunting tool than his/her rifle. Out there you rely on your binoculars to be your eyes as you spend most of your time atop buttes and hills glassing the wide open spaces that surround you looking for any sign of movement. In this role high quality glass is mandatory to ensure as clear a picture as possible to pick up that movement from 400 or 600 or 800 yards away - even over a mile away in some instances. Lower quality glass just doesn't have that capability, and the lower quality glass will also lead to eye-strain sooner as your eye is working harder trying to focus with it.

I've found that bino's in the $300-600 range to be a great compromise between the low-end budget minded and high-end binoculars. Best suggestion is to keep an eye out for sales/clearance at the end of the season as last years models will get drastically market down to make room for next years new models. And as others have noted, keep an eye on Cameraland NY's demo lists in the Vendors Specials board here as Doug usually has some real good deals up for grabs and their customer service is second to none.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

thomae
    Jim highlights some good points. My 8 power binos are great in PA, but probably might not be ideal out west at great distances looking for far off animals. Just like scopes, first one must answer the question of "How and where am I going to use them."

Berserker
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinsquirel View Post
    Leupold Yosemite's. .
    I have been thinking about a pair of these to keep on the 4 wheeler. Prices vary on these right now so look around.

I have a pair of Mojave which I paid about $300. First expensive pair of glasses I bought. But I was hunting over muddy bait pile, and I could see the deer fine to shoot, but was having trouble with details with my cheap glasses. Some people may think it is time to go in. I bought new binoculaurs.

I used these at work during the day, so I really can't vouch for the quality. American Hunter mentioned them, but who knows with magazines.

Basic Member
    Back in the day, the late Jack Oconner could have used any binnocular he wanted without any cost to him.
    His choice for the many hunts and safaris he went on were Bausch&Lomb zepher model. They were also the
    choice of many others who wanted the best of what was available at that time. They were very light and like
    all B&L products had excellant optical quality. Today those glasses will still hold their ground with many of the
    top of line optics available. A nice pair can be bought on ebay for around $100 to $150. I have 2 pair, one in
    7x35 and one in 8x30.
    Same goes for spotting scopes. The old B&L balscope was the finest scope ever produced
    and it also will rival many of the high priced models of today. I have a mint pair in a bracket which i use for long
    range hunting. Stop by and be amazed when you look thru them.

I have a set of Bushnell trophy 12 X 50 for $149.00, they do everything I need them to do and more, I like them because when I am looking for a squirrel, that is hiding in a tree hugging a branch or in a small nook with the clarity and sharpness, I can always find the little critter.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Jim highlights some good points. My 8 power binos are great in PA, but probably might not be ideal out west at great distances looking for far off animals. Just like scopes, first one must answer the question of "How and where am I going to use them."
    We actually prefer 8x42 for there field of view and handheld image stability. Of course we use spotting scopes for extreme range detail and hi-powered rifle scopes for there magnification capability in the field. The 8x42 nikon manarch 5 or atb, bushnell ultra HD and the vortex diamond back are all excellent options in the $200 range.

Basic Member
    We have purchased 2sets of Minox BL series from CameraLand. I think around $200 each. Very pleased with the optics quality and performance. Tim

Rocket99
    I have a pair of Zen-Ray 8x, and they are fabulous for the money. I found out about the brand on a bird watcher forum

jasonR
    Check out the Alpen line up. They are good quality for the buck.

I would be hesitant to buy Zen-Ray. The glass is very clear, but the build quality is suspect in my experience. Sent first pair back first pair for poor manufacture quality. Diopter adjustment was heavily skewed to one direction. After disinterested customer service (repeated calls!) they sent a new pair. Next pair better but not by much - things like knurl focusing ring has fallen off after only a couple months use.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonR View Post
    Check out the Alpen line up. They are good quality for the buck.

I would be hesitant to buy Zen-Ray. The glass is very clear, but the build quality is suspect in my experience. Sent first pair back first pair for poor manufacture quality. Diopter adjustment was heavily skewed to one direction. After disinterested customer service (repeated calls!) they sent a new pair. Next pair better but not by much - things like knurl focusing ring has fallen off after only a couple months use.
    It's bean a few years but I bought two pare of alpen binos............never again.
    I hope they have stepped up there game since then, The glass wasn't totally terrible but the things caused the worst eye strain I've ever had. Can't claim to know what exactly was wrong with them and actually thought it was me until I picked up a buddies nikon monarchs and realized it definitely was not.
    Whatever you get, spend at least a few minutes steady looking threw them before you buy.

jasonR
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    It's bean a few years but I bought two pare of alpen binos............never again.
    I hope they have stepped up there game since then, The glass wasn't totally terrible but the things caused the worst eye strain I've ever had. Can't claim to know what exactly was wrong with them and actually thought it was me until I picked up a buddies nikon monarchs and realized it definitely was not.
    Whatever you get, spend at least a few minutes steady looking threw them before you buy.
    You might be right. I have never used the Alpen for extended period of times, like in a hunting situation. I had a small 8 x 24 pair to shove in a backpack when hiking - they were light and small - so small that I haven't seen them for about a year! I recently purchased an Alpen Apex 8 x 32 for my wife's jeep. They appear to be well made and optics are clear for a $300 dollar pair of binocs.

The op had an almost impossible criteria - useful 100 buck binocs. My go to binocs are Vortex razor binocs. I really love these and I love their no-hassle guarantee.