Thread: Optics selection for Axis .243

FMF-Doc

Optics selection for Axis .243

I recently purchased a new Axis .243 and am waiting for my California 10 day waiting period to expire so I can pick it up. I also just ordered the Weaver multi-slot scope base system to add to it. What scopes and rings would you recommend for this setup?

I will be using this rifle for small to medium game, mostly coyotes, hogs, and the biggest animal I could imagine hunting with it would be a white tail deer. That being said, I think my maximum range I would shoot at an animal would be about 250-300yds. I would just like a quality entry level scope, for this entry level rifle.

Thanks!

n4ue
    FMF, welcome aboard the Axis fan club. I have a bunch. You didn't state if you got the new HB model, the Axis II, or the old 'regular one'...
    I just finished rechambering a new HB Axis into 243 AI. I just love the 243 caliber (and have for decades).
    Scope choice is personal but here are a few I have mounted on Axis rifles and have been extremely satisfied:

Mueller 8.5-25X50
    Pentax 4-15X50
    Millett TRS-1 4-16X50
    Primary Arms 4-16X44

I do have Burris and Leupold, Weaver, etc
    You made a great choice with the base. Weaver Quad lock rings are great for the $. Although I've had exceptional service with UTG 6 screw rings.

Another point, I've pretty much replaced all my front focus scopes with side focus models. I really enjoy the 30 MM tubes for the amount of adjustment. Illuminated reticles? I have some and really don't ever use them.

Remember other folks experience:

Stay away for LOW END:

Barska
    Famous Maker
    Weaver Kaspa
    NcStar

Expect to get into into the $200 range, otherwise you might be disappointed and will end up getting better glass. The PA is a nice scope except at 16X it looks more like 12X. Not a deal killer though.
    I have a 1970s Tasco that is as bright as any high $ scope in my inventory. That old Japanese glass is great. The low end new, Chinese glass, not so much...

enjoy!

ron

Basic Member
    I have been very pleased with a couple of Nikon Prostaffs.

Edzzed
    10 day waiting period, Can you elaborate on that. I live in Canada and when I decided to buy a savage Axis XP in .270 I just walked into the store and walked out with it after showing my firearms possession and acquisition license. As long as you have the license there is no waiting period. That said I got rid of the scope that came with it and put a Bushnell Trophy XLT in 4-12x40 with DOA reticle. Cost was 170.00 Was quite an improvement over the stock scope. That one is now on my .22 Anyhow that Bushnell scope is calibrated from Bushnell based on the .270 130 grain so that's why I chose it.

FMF-Doc
    Firearm regulations vary greatly from state to state. California has some of the most restrictive laws in the country regulating the purchase or sale of a gun as well as magazines and just about anything else you can think of. After you buy a gun (rifle, handgun, anything), there is a bunch of paperwork to fill out for a background check and a ten day waiting period before you can take it home. It is an ineffective way to prevent firearms ending up in the wrong hands.

n4ue
    Getting back to scopes for a minute.....
    Here's a great example of a typical optical evaluation I do:
    I have a private range at work. I set out targets at 50, 100 yards and there are natural objects out to 800 yards. I gather 3 scoped rifles and get my hunting buddies to look through them one after another. I set each scope's mag power to the same and always examine scopes of like power. I let the guys adjust the eyepiece lens for a crisp reticle (using a blue sky). I also let them focus each scope (rifle mounted, bipod / sandbags / solid shooting bench). The targets are mixed and high visibility. My shooting buddies although experienced hunters, are not scope collectors. They had no idea what each cost, until the conclusion.

One day, I was testing a brand new Nikon Monarch 4-16X42 against 2 other previously mounted scopes. One of these was a Centerpoint 4-16X40 ($70 WM). I forgot what scope #3 was. The guys (and myself) thought the Monarch was pretty good. They also could not see much difference between the CP and the Nikon and repeatedly looked through these 2. Different ranges, spent quite a bit of time.
    At the conclusion, when I told them the Nikon cost $450 and the CP cost $70, they were shocked. Everyone thought the CP would be fine all their hunting needs.
    Remember, this had nothing to do with shooting the box, durability, etc.
    Perhaps the Nikon was a sub par example and the CP an above average one. Hard to be sure with a sample size of one.
    However, since I own, er, a LOT of scopes, the Nikon went back the next day for a refund. And YES, I own several other Nikons.
    Just goes to prove there are NO hard and fast rules such as "you get what you pay for". There are rare exceptions.

Go the places like Midway and Amazon and read the reviews of the scopes you are interested in. I always do a LOT of research on a new scope purchase. It becomes easy to cull 'reviews' from folks who have no clue what they are doing! ha ha

ron

MrGiggles
    I know most frown on Barska, but I've had a few and they are very good for the price. All of them have performed well and have good reviews on their listing. I've had two 3-9x40's (around 35 bucks) and recently a 6.5-20x50 AO (70 bucks.) They also have a lifetime warranty. One of the 3-9 lives on my Remington 7600 .243. Held it's zero just fine, and shoots great. The bottom line is that I'm a college student that loves to shoot, so I simply can't afford a scope that costs as much as the rifle. If I had more money, I would be more apt to get a better scope. But a Barska will do the job.

There are some very good scopes for little money, if your budget is tight. Like the above poster mentioned, there are some cheap optics that are very good.

For rings I have had decent luck with Weaver Quad Lock from Walmart. They're easy to find and return if I have clearance issues, and only 10 bucks.

A 3-9x30 or 40 would probably suit you pretty well, and there are a lot of options in that size range.
    Last edited by MrGiggles; 09-12-2014 at 10:47 AM.