Thread: Advice for a $1000 scope

Cat 64

Advice for a $1000 scope

I know that perhaps this question has been asked many a times...but here it goes again. I have a $1000 budget to spend on a tactical scope. It will sit on a .308 single shot target rifle with a Shilen bull barrel and a McMillan A4 stock. I will shoot the rifle anywhere from 100 to 1000 yards mostly prone from a bipod. I mostly shoot targets and I do not hunt. I am interested in a scope with good glass, tactical exposed turrets, MOA reticle, larger magnification, and an objective of at least 50 mm. I have done some research and thus far number one on my list is the new Burris XTR 8-40X50. I am asking the guys on the forum for advice with pertinent explanations. Thank you.

Basic Member
    Why an MOA reticle and not a Mil-Dot?

Cat 64
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    Why an MOA reticle and not a Mil-Dot?
    If I can find the right scope I am not adverse to mil dot. I just sold a vortex viper with that reticle. I guess I would love one in the FFP.

D.ID
    If you are willing to run mil/mil ffp........bushnell's elite DMR with G2 or mil dot.
    If you really want a moa/moa in ffp or sfp.....I would be looking at a the sightron SIII LR.
    I run mostly Bushnell elites in second focal plane myself but there only $7-800 for 1K I would be looking into these others.

Basic Member
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

LongRange
    might take a look at the Sightrons and the SWFAs...ive seen a ton of good reviews on both.

Luke45
    Vortex pst ffp. Lifetime no questions asked warrente and less than 1000$. Shooting next to a buddy with night force and it was 99% as good for 1/3 the cost.

And to Moa vs mil, to the average person Moa makes more sense, and inch per 100 yards. mils can be confusing for us civilians LOL

Basic Member
    I believe your choice of the Burris should serve you well. I will go against the grain and discourage the purchase of a PST, I've had to utilize their great warranty, and it's great, with 4 different PST's. They may have the kinks worked out now but, I'm not taking any more chances. I'll second the sightron suggestion, they have great glass.

Luke45
    Quote Originally Posted by justdave View Post
    I believe your choice of the Burris should serve you well. I will go against the grain and discourage the purchase of a PST, I've had to utilize their great warranty, and it's great, with 4 different PST's. They may have the kinks worked out now but, I'm not taking any more chances. I'll second the sightron suggestion, they have great glass.
    Wow what happened to the 4?

Cat 64
    Thank you. Today I took possession of the Burris scope. Tomorrow I will take it to the range to look through it and after I get the rings will install it on a rifle. If you guys want I will write a report.

Basic Member
    First one would shift poi w/ magnification change,sent it back. Second,the replacement for that ,had black flakes in it, got it fixed, sold it! (6-24 ffp) Third, a 4-16, wouldn't keep zero, shifted 2moa vertically and sporadically, developed canted reticle, got it fixed, sold it. The fourth, a 1-4, developed a canted reticle, got a refund for that. I can understand a lemon every now and then but, too many lemons left a bad taste.

Your experience with Vortex is identical to mine with Burris. Needles to say, I can't agree witht he Burris purchase.
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    There is much weight to the buy once, cry once theory. With the exception of a couple Leupolds and one SHV, I stay with the NXS line. When I grab a rifle out of the safe, or a rifle that's been banging around in the back seat, I'm confident that it will put a bullet where I want it to go. When you go to the range/field/competition with confidence in your set up, you can concentrate on being a better rifleman.

Cat 64
    Got the new XTR 8-40X50 to the range today and tried it at different distances and magnification powers (didn't install it on a rifle yet). Well, I am totally not sure if I should keep this scope or send it back. The glass is ok but not too sharp/clear at higher magnification (the downfall was I had as comparison on the bench my NF Competition which has superb picture). Also, to me, the reticle becomes WAY large at x40. Liked all the rest....turrets, illumination, size, weight, FFP concept, "look", zero stop, etc. decision time in a few days.

Basic Member
    You obviously went with a premium barrel and stock. Why not save a little longer and go with premium glass? (This was my first thought when I first read your post. I didn't want to sound like a jerk but, I believe it is a valid question.)

Cat 64
    You obviously went with a premium barrel and stock. Why not save a little longer and go with premium glass? (This was my first thought when I first read your post. I didn't want to sound like a jerk but, I believe it is a valid question.)
    Legitimate point. I spent a bit more money that I wanted lately on shooting accessories (family, bills, responsibilities...you know how this goes), I wanted to move towards a more tactical scope without breaking the bank, and I liked the "looks" of the Burris plus the other features has to offer. I read a lot of reviews and it seemed like a decent compromise. And I got exactly that...a compromise.

Basic Member
    I fully understand. I don't have a "target shooting" rifle so, there are definitely some areas I haven't explored. My kit is put together with intentions of successful hunting excursions in very rough, wide open country. You could surely get by with a compromise in the ruggedness department but, I can see that you don't want a compromise on glass. Perhaps you can search for another NF competition that's been used for a demo or, even a trade in.

Cat 64
    I fully understand. I don't have a "target shooting" rifle so, there are definitely some areas I haven't explored. My kit is put together with intentions of successful hunting excursions in very rough, wide open country. You could surely get by with a compromise in the ruggedness department but, I can see that you don't want a compromise on glass. Perhaps you can search for another NF competition that's been used for a demo or, even a trade in.
    Sent back the Burris today. Used part of the money I saved for the McMillan stock (it will be a few months before it will be delivered and paid) and added some money to the existing pool and ordered the NF Competition (I got a discount on the 2013 model)
    Last edited by Cat 64; 09-19-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Basic Member
    Guess I'm too late, but count this as a vote for the Vortex PST FFP in MOA. I have one on my 308 (which is very similar to yours) and couldn't be happier with it.
    Glass is very clear and bright, and this puppy tracks like no other I've seen. I shot a box test at 100 yds, moving 4MOA each direction. I have a pic....you can measure the box at exactly 4 inches....a perfect square. I shot it at 500 yds, held off 2 MOA via the reticle marks. Care to guess what it did? Yep, 10" on the mark.
    Sure, there may be better scopes out there, but like my rifle, this PST shoots better than I can....at 1/2 the price of others.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]