Thread: 243 ammo deer and range ammo

jfannin1969

243 ammo deer and range ammo

Just got axis II XP 243. Need to know best factory ammo for deer hunting and ammo for range fun looked at all threads here couldn't find anything if missed one sorry. Plan on reloading just not in the budget right now.Any in put would be appreciated. Usually hunt with 30/30 using Hornady.

Basic Member
    I am a hand loader and do not shoot factory ammo, but I can recommend ammo with 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, 95 grain Federal Fusion, and 100 grain soft point or 95 grain SST Hornady bullets. I have loaded all but the Fusion bullet with great results, but I have a friend who has shot the Fusion on the range with me and it was very accurate. The deer died quick from it too.

jfannin1969
    Thanks heard somewhere they like 100 grain just hoping someone had shot some before I know each gun is a little different.

Basic Member
    Back in the day, light bullets in a caliber were intended for varmints and predators while heavier bullets were for medium/big game. That is no longer completely true. The solid copper bullets come in lighter weights. I know a few guys that use 80 grain Barnes bullets in the .243, but I don't feel the need to buy premium bullets for deer. If I were limited to only one deer bullet for .243, it would be a Hornady 100 grain soft point, which Hornady loads in their American Whitetail ammo.

Ideally, one would use the same load for all, or almost all, field shooting. The reason is that taking shots with 243-class rifles at ranges beyond about 150 yards for small animals and about 225 yards for deer all too frequently need some correction for wind. Going out another 75 yards brings one into the area where the crosshairs might need to be elevated a tad as well.

Whether one uses Mark 1 eyeball and judgement to infer the adjustment or goes all the way to an accurate rangefinder and smartphone trajectory calculator, using the same ammunition for varmints as for deer minimizes the chances of adrenalin-induced forgetfulness about which corrections to apply.

100 gr Hornady gets my vote too. Sight in dead on at 200 and it's all you need.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

jfannin1969
    Thanks for info. Really appreciate it I'll go with 100 grain Hornady soft point let u know