Thread: Who coyote traps ?

cranebird

Who coyote traps ?

Last year while trapping,I had trouble with coyotes tearing up the red fox while they were in my traps. We set back in on my trap set and used a fox pro, red fox in distress and bagged a young coyote that came wheeling in to it but thinking it was pure luck that it was dumb enough. Looking at the torn up fox in the traps, there definitely were more than one dumb one tearing them up. I've got a dozen of sleepy creeks, (6 of #3's & 6 of the 1 3/4 4x4 coils) going to try to specifically trap for coyotes. Any advice for specifically catching coyotes ? Thinking of using hole sets & flat sets with Bait/ lure and urine but there are a ton of baits and lures out there., not sure where to start....Going with R & M mouse bait, Medicine Hats fire in the hole, NW predator & wildlife control total chaos for bait .Probably pick up Hawbakers, they worked well for me on the fox end of things. Here is where I am lost in whether it is better to use combinations or single lure components ? Any help would be appreciated.....
    Last edited by cranebird; 09-14-2014 at 07:04 PM.

redlabel
    I've had very good luck with carmans pros choice lure and fox urine for coyotes

cranebird
    Thanks for the response. I can't wait to start trapping next month. I want to get a few offset Laminated KB 5.5's, the coil springs acts as shock absorbers. These coyotes aren't really coyotes. They have the red wolf gene in them. I'm going to dye and wax a few more traps tomorrow Just scrapped the original chains on the traps and replaced them with 2/0 chain relocated to the center bottom of the trap complete with swivels and a earth anchor. I started using Hawbaker's red fox urine at every set whether it was a baited hole set or flat set. I'm thinking I've got to try a food lure or two this season besides the basic meat ,mouse or fish set.

cranebird
    I will be using Full Metal Jacket dip for the first time, used the traditional logwood dye and then 4 dip coatings of full metal jacket. I am curious to see which catches more, the new dip or the old wax method.

Basic Member
    Cranebird, put in a urine post set off to the side from your dirt hole sets for fox. Coyotes will kill foxes to eliminate competition for available food sources and that costs you money in fur. Try coyote urine on the post set and you may pick up the alpha male coyote. Good luck.

mnhntr
    Double up on your sets and catch them both. If you place a second or third trap it is very likely you will catch the culprits.

Frank V
    It's been a Long time since I've set any traps, I'm staying tuned to learn.

cranebird
    I've had 2 more red fox torn up this year without success of catching the culprits yet. I did take 4 coyotes out from the area earlier than when the 2 were beaten up but once they kill a fox in that area, the coyotes became flaky and started taking different routes throughout the area and avoided any set.

Pictures we need Pictures

Frank V
    Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
    I've had 2 more red fox torn up this year without success of catching the culprits yet. I did take 4 coyotes out from the area earlier than when the 2 were beaten up but once they kill a fox in that area, the coyotes became flaky and started taking different routes throughout the area and avoided any set.
    Boy let us know when you catch/shoot those Coyotes.
    Sorry they are destroying your Fox's. Are Coyote pelts worth anything now? They should be prime?
    Let us know, Thanks.

Basic Member
    HEAVY coyotes have sold well. The others are used for trim and run in the 20-25 buck range--heavies according to the fur report at last nights trappers mtg-$60. Grading is tight.

Coon maybe 8-10 bucks except the BIG well furred ones $20+