Thread: .300 WinMag FCP HS-Precision

Jettn

.300 WinMag FCP HS-Precision

I am having a problem with this rifle. As listed in my profile, I own 2 other Savages that are MOA rifles. However, I cannot seem to get this guy to group. At first, I thought it just didn't like the Hornady 165gr GMX bullets. But I'm running 200 gr AccuBonds now and it's not doing any better? I have taken the rifle apart to see if I could find something wrong but so far it seems to be fine. I've double checked the scope and mounts and haven't found anything loose there either. Does any else have this rifle and what loads (I reload) etc works well??? Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettn View Post
    I am having a problem with this rifle. As listed in my profile, I own 2 other Savages that are MOA rifles. However, I cannot seem to get this guy to group. At first, I thought it just didn't like the Hornady 165gr GMX bullets. But I'm running 200 gr AccuBonds now and it's not doing any better? I have taken the rifle apart to see if I could find something wrong but so far it seems to be fine. I've double checked the scope and mounts and haven't found anything loose there either. Does any else have this rifle and what loads (I reload) etc works well??? Thanks
    What loads have you tried with accubonds? Did you try different powders? Did you check your action screw torque? What are you considering bad groups?

I have one and have been rather impressed with mine. Printing 1/2 MOA out to 800 yds as long as i hold myself together. I have been shooting Berger 215gr. hybrid with H1000 and CCI 250 primers
    jumped .050 off the lands. What have you tried/ used? And what are your group sizes at what yardages?

Jettn
    Quote Originally Posted by kbaerg View Post
    I have one and have been rather impressed with mine. Printing 1/2 MOA out to 800 yds as long as i hold myself together. I have been shooting Berger 215gr. hybrid with H1000 and CCI 250 primers
    jumped .050 off the lands. What have you tried/ used? And what are your group sizes at what yardages?
    This is in response to both replies.....I have checked the screws.

I'm running 72gr H4831 CCI 250 Hornady brass .050 jump. I have varied loads and jump....remember the mag does come into play, though I have been feeding it single action. The rifle is doing 2-3 MOA @ 100yrds. With a #2 contour barrel I would expect a lot better???

This is in response to both replies.....I have checked the screws.

I'm running 72gr H4831 CCI 250 Hornady brass .050 jump. I have varied loads and jump....remember the mag does come into play, though I have been feeding it single action. The rifle is doing 2-3 MOA @ 100yrds. With a #2 contour barrel I would expect a lot better???
    By chance are you using a brake? I have a brake on mine and that helps me, (mostly for spotting my own shots at longer distances). Also, don't take this wrong, but maybe recoil affecting some with accuracy? I'm wondering about copper fouling also. How many rounds through the tube? Maybe try cleaning the barrel and then see what happens if you haven't done so.

Jettn
    No brake. Have been using a sled to minimize recoil but could be affecting harmonics??? I'm open to any suggestions.....not throwing the towel in on the rifle...could very well be me but shooting has been my passion for several decades and as I said, my other rifles are shooting very well. Did a very thorough cleaning since last outing and have not tried the AB's since then. Did pick up the bullseye camera system because I do want to shoot long range but if I can't get 1/2 MOA @ 100yrds, what's the point?

i would try shooting prone for kicks. Maybe check to see if barrel has any contact on the stock. When i got mine the barrel was closer to one side than the other so i removed the action and barrel and opened it up a slightly so i could get a business card to pass under the barrel all the way back to the action.

Basic Member
    No brake. Have been using a sled to minimize recoil but could be affecting harmonics??? I'm open to any suggestions.....not throwing the towel in on the rifle...could very well be me but shooting has been my passion for several decades and as I said, my other rifles are shooting very well. Did a very thorough cleaning since last outing and have not tried the AB's since then. Did pick up the bullseye camera system because I do want to shoot long range but if I can't get 1/2 MOA @ 100yrds, what's the point?
    What glass do you have on there? Those sleds can damage lower end scopes from the recoil throwing the zero all over the place especially with magnum rifles. I had it happen to me and my burris fullfield II 4.5-15x42. I had to send me scope to burris. They repaired and sent it back. Ever since it has been great but I have not used my sled again...

You could have missed the accuracy node in your loads depending how many you tried...I have had many rifles shooting 2-4inch groups at a 100 yards and then bam...I find an accuracy node (powder charge and seating depth) the rifle loves and suddenly im getting sub MOA. I am by no means a great reloader...I dont measure off the Ogive like you should, but I do try and maintain accurate seating depth as much as I can with calipers and I trickle charge everything. I have yet to be able to get any rifle under 1MOA but maybe I have been lucky. Some rifles were very easy to find a load and others have been much more difficult and time consuming but once I find the load it likes I write it down and call it good.

Jettn
    Leopold VX-6 (3-18x44)

I use the Hornady Ogive gauge, not perfect but very close. Last chrono spread was just under 50fps spread (I can get the .308 in just under 25fps). Funny you should mention, but I wasn't really crazy about the .308 for awhile and then it just started clover leafing all day long :-) I was just checking with people that might own this particular rifle and how it came about being a good shooter. Did it take some time or was it tack driving right out of the box or if they ran across the same thing. Maybe I should take the scope off and put it on the .308 and check how it tracks....kind of running out of time though, elk season is coming fast.

Basic Member
    Leopold VX-6 (3-18x44)

I use the Hornady Ogive gauge, not perfect but very close. Last chrono spread was just under 50fps spread (I can get the .308 in just under 25fps). Funny you should mention, but I wasn't really crazy about the .308 for awhile and then it just started clover leafing all day long :-) I was just checking with people that might own this particular rifle and how it came about being a good shooter. Did it take some time or was it tack driving right out of the box or if they ran across the same thing. Maybe I should take the scope off and put it on the .308 and check how it tracks....kind of running out of time though, elk season is coming fast.
    50FPS spread is pretty close...id think you would expect a tighter group than 2-4 inches at 100 yards. Check the scope on your 308...I hate to say it but it does sound like you covered a lot of the possibilities...if the scope tracks fine...id suggest contacting savage. By the way...how far do you intend on shooting during your elk trip? The reason I say this is your 308 should have no issue tagging an Elk under 400 yards...you could even stretch that a bit if you feel very confident in your bullet placement and choice of bullet. Of course id try and get your 300mag sorted out before then but all is not lost if you have to use your 308. Now if you plan on shooting past 600yards...then yes id definitely try to get your 300mag sorted out.

P.S. 308 with a 165-180 grain bullet will be great for Elk...

check the front base front screw, the factory screw was too long.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Jettn
    I noticed that when I mounted my rail and trimmed accordingly. Thanks

My suggestion is to change powders to 7828 or rl-22 or h1000. Do not try to reduce loads as it can be very dangerous.Most mags like to be run with fairly hot loads or they don't perform very well. Also retumbo seems to be very popular.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

SamuraiTrapper
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    My suggestion is to change powders to 7828 or rl-22 or h1000. Do not try to reduce loads as it can be very dangerous.Most mags like to be run with fairly hot loads or they don't perform very well. Also retumbo seems to be very popular.
    This has been my experience also. To add to it, I tend to start my loads at .010 off the lands

I have been thinking about your scope,even though it is a top of the line it still could be hurt. What no one tells you is the sled you are using is tough on components such as scopes and mounts. With all that said there is a guy on accurate shooter who has a v6 and it made only 56 shots and it self destructed internally.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Jettn
    I'm inclined to agree. Talked to the Leupold tech today....going to throw it on my .308, which has been shooting superb. If I can't duplicate groups, I'm going to send it in.

Jettn
    [IMG][/IMG]

Savage HS-Precision .300 WinMag 200gr AccuBond 69gr H4831 .150 jump OG Temp 73.8 Elev 903 ft Baro 29.94 hg Wind 0 mph Dist 100yrds
    Chrono 2754 Hi 2721 Low 2741 Avg 33fps spread 12% Dev

Swapped scopes, put 10x42 SS on the .300 WM, first shot is high right (lets just call it a fouling shot). Next 5 rds are in the group next to it. Adjusted scope and fired next 3 rounds just above center.

Put the Leupold VX6 3-18x44 on .308 which normally shoots these kind of groups. Those holes are covered by the tape and all over the place. Got off the phone with Leupold and going to ship the scope out.

I apologize for wasting everyone's time with something I should have easily figured out. Tried out my target cam and like it as well.

Regards
    Last edited by Jettn; 09-18-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Glad you got it solved. Looks to be shooting good also

Jettn
    [IMG][/IMG]

Same load and conditions. Mounted 5-20x50 SS Scope that was on my .223 bench shooter. First 3 rds were off of the .223 zero, made 1 adjustment and fired the next 3 in the center.
    Not exactly the "elk" rifle I was thinking about but it does shoot well

M21Wildcat
    This thread got my attention pretty quick. My .300 Win Mag FCP HS will arrive this week. VERY glad to hear that your issue was scope-related. I'm more than eager to get some trigger time asap.
    Paul