Thread: No more "Tacticool"

No more "Tacticool"

I was looking for a Tacticool on Boyds' website when I saw that the model appears to have been renamed the "Pro Varmint" sometime in the last month or so. It's a pretty good name, but I did kind of like the old one. The word "tacticool" was coined as a pejorative and still undoubtedly carries that connotation among people who'd use that term without irony, but that was what I liked so much about that name for the stock: it embraced what it unabashedly is. The Tacticool is a low-cost accessory that, while it might not perform as well as the more expensive accessories that it aesthetically mimics, does do everything the user could reasonably ask of it. Moreover, giving it a tongue-in-cheek name made it okay to like something tacticool as long as you knew it was tacticool.

I don't want to give it too much credit as a game-changer or paradigm-shifter or something equally patronizing and histrionic, nor do I want to sound too dolorous because Boyds is still offering the same rose by another name. Still, the change prompted me to reflect on a name that I know was not hugely popular but was, at the same time, quite appropriate.

Basic Member
    I concur.

I never gave it much thought, but what you wrote is spot on and pretty much sums it up.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

No more "Tacticool"

That was an eloquent requiem for the now-(un?)dead Tacticool, rising like a zombie Phoenix as the Pro-Varmint. Gotta love marketing. Lol. Great stock though.

Does that mean my Hornady Zombie Bullets are now a collectors Item.LOL

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

To add to that, I think that anything Tactical is not as cool anymore as it use to be, because it is now being used against US citizens.

Dean

Basic Member
    It was too "assault rifle".

When I hear or see someone talking "tactical" all I see is a dork. After 23 years as an infantryman I never understood the "tactical" accessories civilians would purchase then talk about how cool it is and how much it helps them at the range. I do own a Tacticool stock and like it. At least now I can call it something better.

Glad to see some of the marketing folks in the industry are finally getting over the tactifool and zombie fads. You can thank the influx and rapid growth of women shooters into the sport for that as the industry has turned it's attention towards and is catering to them now rather than the wannabe Couch Commando's and Sofa Seals. BTW, did you hear that Colt is coming out with a "My Little Pony" edition of the Mustang Pocketlite next year?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Glad to see some of the marketing folks in the industry are finally getting over the tactifool and zombie fads. You can thank the influx and rapid growth of women shooters into the sport for that as the industry has turned it's attention towards and is catering to them now rather than the wannabe Couch Commando's and Sofa Seals. BTW, did you hear that Colt is coming out with a "My Little Pony" edition of the Mustang Pocketlite next year?
    Sweet! I better get on the waiting list ASAP. I hope it matches my new skirt.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    sweet! I better get on the waiting list asap. I hope it matches my new skirt.
    lol
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Wow.......glad to see the name change.

Does anyone have a "Pro Varmint" ?? What do you think of it ?? Fit, finish, function ??

It's the same stock as the Tacticool. Boyds hasn't even renamed the image directory for the picture on the site.

They're pretty good. I'm sure you won't mistake them for a Manners or H-S Precision, but I find them worth the money to improve over some factory stocks.