I have an F Open rifle in .284 Winchester built on a Savage target action. Shooting 180 Berger VLD's its a laser. Your problems are that you are using a factory gun in a custom game. Originally, I went the same rout and was not competitive. Going to a Savage Target Action with custom barrel, PRT Lowboy, bedding block and custom trigger will do wonders for your confidence. They can be had used for about $1500 (300 more than the factory rifle new) and you usually can get the load development data and even the reamer if custom from the seller. The one I purchased was competition proven and the savage action is trued and the bolt is a PR&T custom. The barrel had 500 rounds down it when I purchased it and after 600 more it is still going strong. I have the reamer for the rifle so I dont have to re-figure things when the barrel goes south. Just buy another of the same and go. In .308 you should strive to use the heaviest bullet possible, so look for one that uses a reamer and barrel twist for the bullet you want to shoot (VLD, Hybrid, etc). Going this rout has been absolutely the best decision I have ever made on a competition rifle. It shoots much better than I do. Monitor Accurate Shooter.com, Sniper Hide.com and Benchrest Central. There are a lot of successful guys that change guns every year or two and are looking to sell to fund their next build. You might even score a deal on a rifle with a better action than a Savage.