Thread: Axis switch barrel

srsummers

Axis switch barrel

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and to Savage rifles.

I have a Axis in .223 and want to make it a switch barrel. I'm curios to know if the .308 mag will fit in my .223 action. If so, I'm going to get a .308 barrel.

Basic Member
    I believe you are going to need a different magazine body,follower and spring as the .308 round does not fit into the .223 mag. Also, you would need a new .308 style bolt head along with go and no go gauges.

Just buy another Axis! 😃

srsummers
    That's what I was reffering to. Will the 308 mag body fit into my 223 action. I was aware of the bolt head swap and I already have the gauges.

Basic Member
    I think it will fit into the action but there maybe a spacer or something in the mag that will not allow for the ammo to fit properly.

Basic Member
    The .223 mag and the .308 mag are the same length. The .223 mag has a spacer built into the rear of it to make for a proper fit in a .308 sized mag opening. You will also need a bolt head for the .308.

thomae
    Short answer to your question:
    Yes.
    The .308 magazine will fit into the stock of your rifle where the .223 magazine currently goes.

MrGiggles
    .243 is a necked down .308 case, so if you really wanted a versatile rifle to switch barrels, pick up an Axis in .243 and get a .308 barrel for it. The magazine and bolt should be the same between them. It would be easier than retrofitting a .223.

The regular axis is about affordable enough you could get the whole 0 8 family and forget the work and trouble. No headspacing to worry about, maybe a couple would shoot lights out.

srsummers
    Yes, the Axis rifle is affordable if you leave it alone. I'm adding Boyd Stock, Leupold glass, high end rings/bases, timney trigger, bolt knob and I want both calibers to be a heavy barrel. So if I already have all of these on my .223, I can just buy the heavy barrel in .308, 308 mag and bolt face and switch back and forth. My Leupold is a target model...I can figure out the settings for each caliber/yardage and not have to spend a day at the range dialing it in every time I switch. Plus, it just sounds like a lot of fun!