Thread: 284 in a mod 11

Basic Member

284 in a mod 11

does anyone know if a 284 win will feed in a standard short action axis style magazine? or if there is another magazine option for a mod 11 vt? I am contemplating another barrel in 284 or rechambering to 300 wsm.

Can you clarify axis style and model 11. I use a long action for my 284AI, but I do that because I use the heavy bullets for long range shooting. In that scenario the COAL is a little to long for feeding from a magazine in a short action. if you are shooting lighter shorter projectiles you can get away with the SA mag. If you have an axis I think the Stock/ Magazine configuration solves some of those issues between Long and short action. I am not 100 percent on that, hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

If you will be sticking to 130-140gr traditional jacketed hunting bullets you can get by with a S/A Axis magazine. If you want to shoot the heavier/longer bullets you will need to single feed or go to a long action.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I will be using it as a hunting rifle, i will probobly not be shooting the long target vlds but i would like to be able to shoot 160 class hunting bullets and the sst/interbonds are fairly long, i will maesure some bullets and my mag. Maybee a 300 wsm would be a better option.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Can you clarify axis style and model 11. I use a long action for my 284AI, but I do that because I use the heavy bullets for long range shooting. In that scenario the COAL is a little to long for feeding from a magazine in a short action. if you are shooting lighter shorter projectiles you can get away with the SA mag. If you have an axis I think the Stock/ Magazine configuration solves some of those issues between Long and short action. I am not 100 percent on that, hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.
    It is a model 11 varmint from dicks sporting goods, short action mod 11 varmint weight barrel, and it uses the plastic bottom mags like the synthetic stocked mod 11 or an axis short action

Basic Member
    It will work, but you will limit your case-overall-length to 2.8" (maybe even a little less) to work in the magazine. Perfect for hunting application, but you won't be getting more than 100 fps over a 7-08 with the bullet set so deep in the neck.
    Jeff518

Mach2
    I've never looked at any of the Axis/Edge rifles but is the Axis a one size action or is it made in both short and long actions?

Basic Member
    one size action, but magazines are either short or long with a different trigger guard to accommodate each.
    Jeff518