Thread: Axis ii ?

44 Man

Axis ii ?

The 'II' must designate that it comes with the accutrigger? That and a sturdier stock would fix most complaints. But it 'is' supposed to be an 'entry level' rifle, but I think it's better than that. I can't wait to get my hands on a 20" barrel .223! 44 Man

n4ue
    I have over a dozen Savage rifles, some with the Accutrigger most are the old Axis rifles with my $1 trigger job.
    My shooting buddies also concur that my trigger is better than the Accutrigger.
    To each his (or her) own, I guess....

ron

Basic Member
    And don't forget you also receive a nifty 3-9 scope as well!
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Tannerkg
    I've been thinking about an Axis II also. How good is that 3-9 scope? It will probably be a 7mm-08 or 223 for the girlfriend for whitetail.

Basic Member
    Personally I haven't heard of anyone who has decide to keep that scope on there rifle. They must be pretty bad.

Basic Member
    So far the weaver kaspa one seems ok. The lack of internal adjustment being its down fall. The reviews on retail models were good. If it gets us through November I'll be satisfied. We used Burris rings with offsets to align it which leaves plenty of adjustment for fine tuning. I would be suprised if you can even zero one in without the offsets.

SThomas3791
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannerkg View Post
    I've been thinking about an Axis II also. How good is that 3-9 scope? It will probably be a 7mm-08 or 223 for the girlfriend for whitetail.
    i picked up an axis xp in 308 back in february. a month or so later they came out with the axis ii, go figure? my axis xp got a new trigger spring from a ball point pen and a new bushnell trophy xlt to replace the package bushnell (garbage). love my trigger and have been told it's just as nice a an accutrigger? the axis ii's have a weaver kaspa on them. i'm sure it's an upgrade from the scope that came in my package but not sure how great they are to be honest, i have no experience with them. just my 2 cents, go with the 7mm-08 unless shes a dead on shot, everytime. 223 is a lil light for whitetails and she would have to rely mostly on shot placement than anything else. could be the difference between a full freezer or a day following a blood trail to nowhere.
    Last edited by SThomas3791; 09-10-2014 at 10:33 PM.

MrGiggles
    I agree, although legal in many states, .223 is marginal on Whitetail. Especially any further than 100 yards. You might consider a .243. It's great for whitetail and its recoil is similar to .223. Ammo is also cheaper and easier to find than 7mm-08.

Basic Member
    Just had this discussion with my hunting buddy. His youngest daughter will be hunting with us. Due to her size & strength we decided letting her use his 223 for a couple years is the best option. Of course this will be taken into consideration when choosing her locations. Also she will have Dad or Mom as a backup shooter.

I know the idea wouldn't sit well with everyone. But 223 has taken plenty of larger critters.

SThomas3791
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
    I agree, although legal in many states, .223 is marginal on Whitetail. Especially any further than 100 yards. You might consider a .243. It's great for whitetail and its recoil is similar to .223. Ammo is also cheaper and easier to find than 7mm-08.

i own a 308 and 243. this will be my nephews first year hunting and i am taking him out and letting him use the 243. i considered trading in the 243 for another 308 and having him shoot hornady custom lite "reduced recoil" ammo through it bringing the felt recoil down near the 243 ammo he currently shoots. after careful consideration and looking at the ballistics the advantage was marginal for him to use the reduce recoil 308 so i let him stick with the current 243 ammo. now, if you decided to go with the 243 with hornadys "reduced recoil" ammo i would assume the felt recoil of the 243 would be similar to the 223 with a bit more knock down punch for them critters.

Basic Member
    Yeah no doubt there are other options. My buddy didn't want to get into another caliber as he already has several and no doubt his daughter will grow into one before long. But in all seriousness the 223 with a bonded bullets got no worries and keeping shots inside of point blank ranges will ensure her success.

savage2014
    I am a person who buy guns, and don't want to replace or do mods, so I bought the "II" which has accutrigger and you can easily adjust the pull. The stock pull is set to the highest, after adjusting it to the lowest setting, I am very happy with it. If ever I will buy more Axis (I got my eye on a .308, but waiting for stainless steel version), I will defo get it with the accutrigger.