Thread: Won't group at 100 but will at 200?

Jawalker61

Won't group at 100 but will at 200?

I have heard this stated several times that someone can't get a rifle / load combination to group at 100 yards. But when they run the same combination at 200 yards suddenly everything come together. I am having difficulty believing that a series of shots can be that far off at one point in the flight path and come together further down range. And remain accurate further out. Can someone explain this?

Basic Member
    It what's refereed to as a bullet going the sleep.

This is well beyond my pay grade so ...http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...et-%28video%29

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

It happens for sure. It has a lot to do with the cartridge and bullet your using. My 6.5s all group better at 200 than they do at 100 with the Berger 140 vlds. I do all my load development at 200 just so I don't run into this problem.

LongRange
    i do most of my load development at 300+ yds...most longer heavier bullets dont settle in until out past a 100yds.

Basic Member
    Yep. You should see what an arrow looks like coming of the string! Takes a while to settle down. :)

I'm not sure I'm a full believer but mi Shilen in 260 seemed to shoot the same size groups at 100 & 200 when new.
    Now they are more normal.

Jawalker61
    Thanks! I couldn't picture on my mind. The video was the clincher. Thanks again

Basic Member
    On a related note I've seen/used plenty of loads that shot great at 100 but fell apart farther out- I have yet though, to see a load that shoots well at 200 not shoot well farther out.

With my limited ability 200 yards makes the most sense to do load development/testing. If it shoots at 200 it will shoot out to 1k, not always so with a load that shots tiny groups at 100.

Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post

With my limited ability 200 yards makes the most sense to do load development/testing. If it shoots at 200 it will shoot out to 1k, not always so with a load that shots tiny groups at 100.
    Not quite true.
    After about 600-700 your ES will come into play and by 1000 it's quite important.
    At 200 it's not even a factor really.

Basic Member
    That's true, should have been more clear.

Based solely on my limited experience of shooting at 600 often, and 1k occasionally, a load that does well at at 200 will be proportionately accurate farther out. That is, of course presuming that you have a stable load, decent ES/SD etc.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
    Not quite true.
    After about 600-700 your ES will come into play and by 1000 it's quite important.
    At 200 it's not even a factor really.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    That's true, should have been more clear.

Based solely on my limited experience of shooting at 600 often, and 1k occasionally, a load that does well at at 200 will be proportionately accurate farther out. That is, of course presuming that you have a stable load, decent ES/SD etc.
    And on top of all this this is where bullet length and weight come into play as well as you FPS spread,neck tension,trim length, case prep, constristity,powder weight, case volume.....it goes on and on....to shoot accurately out past 1000yds you need to take all the variables out of the equation as you can.

Basic Member
    hmmmm good thread... I'm going to have to try my next load development at 200. I'm trying to load 175SMKs for a 308.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
    hmmmm good thread... I'm going to have to try my next load development at 200. I'm trying to load 175SMKs for a 308.
    it will help you find a better load faster.

If you have access to 300 yards, that really tells you how well your hand loads perform. I pretty much do all my testing at 200 and then 300 yards.