I bought this rifle last year as the Nikon package. I attempted to site in, and the gun shot horrible groups 3-5" @ 100yrds with 165gr SGK federal premium, 150gr fed blue box, 150 gr federal premium nosler ballistic tip. I tried another shooter, to eliminate me as cause-groups were just as bad. I sent the rifle in to savage and they replaced Nikon Scope and barrel due to loose groupings. I received the rifle back and attempted to site in again using 165gr SGK federal premium, 150gr fed blue box, 150 gr federal premium trophy copper, 150gr Winchester silvertips, and Hornady 139gr-All rings, mounts, action bolts tight. Gun would not group better than 2" at 50Yrds-( shots were in groups of 2, with 10-15 min between groups to allow adequate barrel cooling). I called savage and sent gun in again with paper targets of groupings. I received gun back with everything checking normal and one target of a 1.25 group using nosler ballistic tips.
Since target showed grouping, I decided to change to one piece base for better eye-relief. I lock-tite and torqued new base. I placed burris signature Z rings, which were also torqued. I attempted to site in again and groups were worse than before, shooting left and right of center-6" @ 100 yrds. I checked scope, bases, mounts, all were secure. I decided to change scopes. I placed a Nikon Buckmaster that I am currently using on a 30-06 and used Leupold PRW rings. I also loosened and re-torqued action screws. I shot gun again. This time groups improved slightly, 3-4" with previous brands of Ammo, and allowing barrel to cool. Any ideas?

I have 223 & 243 Axis that will shoot sub 1" groups with multiple groups of factory ammo. I have 270/30-06 in Remington 770 that will shoot 1" groups, TC Venture 300WSM shooting 1", and a 12g shooting 2-3" @ 100 yrds. I have been shooting for years. This is the most problematic gun I have ever owned. I am going to lead sled it on Tuesday and let another friend who owns gun range/reloads shoot the gun.

I am lost as to ideas. I have read bedding can help. But, none of my other rifles are bedded and shoot appropriately. It seems that I am having a lot of effort and work involved in attempting to make a rifle accurate than should be necessary, guess I am venting from aggravation. I read through the forums, seen similar post, but many prove to be loose rings/mounts/scopes, action screws. I have eliminated these. I am lost to ideas.