Thread: My New Savage Predator Max1 is all dressed up and ready to party.

CA Desert Dog

My New Savage Predator Max1 is all dressed up and ready to party.

I just picked up my new Savage predator Max 1 with the Accu-stock and Accu-trigger yesterday. It sure is sweet and I can't wait to range test it. Last night I mounted a Hawke Sidewinder 4-16 X 38 Tactical scope using Hawke Tactical rings and the factory fitted mounts on the Savage. It features a dual color (red or green) variable intensity, SR6 illuminated reticle. I installed everything carefully, checked alignment of the mounts & rings and mounted the scope using a touch of blue Locktite on all of the fasteners. I was really happy when I began to bore sight the new glass because the scope's crosshairs and the bore sighting collimator's crosshairs were just about bang on. I had to crank just a couple of clicks of windage and the alignment was perfect ;D. The elevation was dead on and I did not need to touch anything. That's the way it should be, perfect mechanical alignment. My engineer brain likes it when things are "right".

I was a bit apprehensive ordering a scope with a 38MM optic because all of my other scopes are pretty much 50MM. I was pleasantly surprised by this scope because of the brightness and clarity. I am a night predator hunter so a scope that transmits a good sight picture in low light is important to me, especially at my age. After it got totally dark outside (and my neighbors could not see me....LOL) I was able to sight around and see just how much light the scope was capable of gathering. Once again, I was impressed. For some reason I have always equated the size of the optic lens with light gathering. Apparently, that is not the case because this scope works just fine, even peering into night shadows.

This scope is sweet and will work well for me shooting under a dim red light while coyote hunting. I'll be trying some new loads this weekend and I'll post the range results. I just loaded about 6 different bullet weights with Varget to see how well the rifle will digest different bullet weights (50, 55, 60, 70) and even some copper stuff & varmint Grenades. The 1 in 8 twist should be happy with all of the weights I loaded. My RRA AR with the same twist seems to do just fine, even with 40 grain bullets.

I really like the Savage so far and I can't wait to shoot it. I have adjusted the trigger to the lightest setting. I usually don't go near the trigger until I am ready to fire. All of my rifles have triggers on the lighter side and I like them that way. This Savage is completely camo coated in a Desert Brush pattern and has a relatively heavy barrel. I wish the barrel was a tad lighter but I will gladly hump the extra weight for assured shot after shot accuracy. I have a prairie dog shoot coming up in May and this 223 Savage and my 204 Howa will be getting a workout.

Re: My New Savage Predator Max1 is all dressed up and ready to party.

When you hit that prarie dog town you'll be glad you have that heavy barrel......Be sure to post some pics of it when ya get a chance.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

CA Desert Dog

My trip is scheduled for early May and I am chomping at the bit. I agree...that heavy barrel will sure be nice then.

z71rat

Can you give us some pics in the Picture Post?? I have been considering the Hawke Tactical and would like to see some good views of it!! Thanks!!

DK

CA Desert Dog

I just got back from a club weekend where we all met and did some shooting. I'll post a photo of my rifle and my test target tonight. I mounted the 4-16 X 38 Tactical with an SR6 reticle and it is a beautiful scope. Bright, crisp and clear day and night. All of the guys at the shoot were pretty excited about the Hawke scopes. There is an interesting article in this quarter's Varmint Hunter magazine. They compare a Leupold Holland ($1500.), a Bushnell Elite 6500 ($950.00) and a Hawke Frontier ($600.) The Hawke tracked better than the Bushnell during their test and the Hawke got a very favorable review.

This past weekend I got a chance to shoot my Predator Max 1 for the first time. I shot four 55-grain Hornady V-Max rounds into one hole and the fifth (flyer) was about 3/4 of an inch away. All the bullets were loaded in mixed head stamp brass and I am quite happy with the accuracy. I'll separate the brass next time and really take my time putting the loads together. So far, great rifle, great glass and a great combo. I am a happy hunter.

z71rat

Man, I wish that the PredMax came in .308!! I would love to get all over that one!!

DK

CA Desert Dog

OK, I made up 6 quick loads and the 55 Grain V-max grouped very well (except for one flyer). The brass was mixed head stamp and I saw the load on a forum so I tried it. I am very happy with this (4-rounds in one hole) and that will be my load for coyote and a bunch of other stuff. I'll load up a bunch and bring the point of impact to the bullseye and I am done for now. I am busy with tax junk tonight so I don't have time to post a picture of the rifle & scope. I will ASAP.
    [img width=347 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/1desertdog/FIRSTSAVAGETARGET.jpg[/img]

z71rat

Very nice shooting indeed!! Yeah, I think I could live with that kinda grouping for a while too... LOL!!

DK

CA Desert Dog

I finally got a picture of her sporting her new Hawke 4-16 X 38 Tactical Scope. I love this rig.
    [img width=600 height=234]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/1desertdog/223SAVAGEADJ.jpg[/img]