Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Viper on the FEDEX truck for delivery! Question on Rings?

DzNutz

Question Vortex Viper on the FEDEX truck for delivery! Question on Rings?

My new scope (Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50) will be at the house today. I would like to ask your opinions for rings on my 10FCPK? I have a Millet one piece base and I prefer the beefier six screw style rings like I have on there. Can someone let me know which ones of this type will get the objective bell as close as practical to the barrel?
    Last edited by DzNutz; 09-07-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Are you using a 20MOA base as well?
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

DzNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    Are you using a 20MOA base as well?
    No just a flat base right now. It is a little high as bases go so I think the Low rings will do fine for the Objective bell but I am also worried about the ocular end and the power zoom dial. The 500 setup picture on my Range Report Journal shows a good representation of the hieght of the base.
    Last edited by DzNutz; 09-05-2014 at 01:32 PM.

I would be inclined to use the lowest burris signature rings with the plastic inserts that can be used to correct windage and elevation as well as adding 20 moa inserts to make your zero mount become a 20 moa without touching it. These rings are solid and wont leave marks on the scope in case you would upgrade and sell it off.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

romad97
    I am a big fan of the Burris signature zee rings on most of my rifles. I did however put a set of talley lightweights on my most recent carry rifle and they are fairly decent as well.

Basic Member
    I like the Burris Signature Zee also... I know you said you like the 6 screw style rings, however the Burris signature zee has 4 screws for each ring. I just bought the Viper HST and here is a few pics just for your reference. Those are medium rings on a EGW 20 moa base.

D.ID
    You let fedex transport GLASS...........wow! You sir are a brave man.
    I have tried numerous times and seen failure of signature rings every-time. two sets of 30mm and one set of 1" on several "different levels" of recoil, I just can't get them to hold a scope over 20oz solid.
    Everybody loves them, so it must be me but I have lost faith in them all together.

DzNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    You let fedex transport GLASS...........wow! You sir are a brave man...
    Not much choice in the manner. OpticsPlanet did the shipping. They did okay though. Packed very well and FEDEX did the delivery justice. Very excited to get the new glass on the FCPK tomorrow and take her out for zero. I will update when finished. Thank you all for the advise. I may try the Burris rings if the Weavers I have on there now don't fit.

Basic Member
    If you don't trust the inserts of the Z rings this should do the trick. It is what i use. Burris 30mm Xtreme Tactical Picatinny-Style Rings Matte Low Package of 2
    Product #: 148716 Thats from Midway. Just check around for the best price.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    I would be inclined to use the lowest burris signature rings with the plastic inserts that can be used to correct windage and elevation as well as adding 20 moa inserts to make your zero mount become a 20 moa without touching it. These rings are solid and wont leave marks on the scope in case you would upgrade and sell it off.
    Excellent advice!

DzNutz
    With this scope and without a 20MOA base or rings, at what distance am I going to run out of elevation? I (as stated earlier) have only reached out to 500 thus far.

DzNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    I am liking this option. Can someone please provide me a link to where I can order the rings and these 20 MOA inserts?

EDIT: I found the 30mm Burris Signature Zee Rings on Midway but I cannot find the "+/- .020 Pos-Align offset inserts" anywhere!!! Using a set of these front and back in reverse would produce the 20moa (approximately 20" at 100 yards). Does anyone have a line on where to get these inserts?

EDIT 2: In my endeavors to find the elusive "+/- .020 Pos-Align offset inserts", I came across this [interesting research done a couple of years ago by a fellow shooter on another forum]. If I am reading this correctly, I can achieve the 20moa desired with the 30mm rings and the "+/- .010 Pos-Align offset inserts" that are included with the rings (using them opposite each other in the front and back rings). If this is correct my assessment above about the .020's (using both) would actually produce 40moa approximately. Please tell me if I am reading all of this correctly?
    Last edited by DzNutz; 09-06-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DzNutz View Post
    I am liking this option. Can someone please provide me a link to where I can order the rings and these 20 MOA inserts?

EDIT: I found the 30mm Burris Signature Zee Rings on Midway but I cannot find the "+/- .020 Pos-Align offset inserts" anywhere!!! Using a set of these front and back in reverse would produce the 20moa (approximately 20" at 100 yards). Does anyone have a line on where to get these inserts?

EDIT 2: In my endeavors to find the elusive "+/- .020 Pos-Align offset inserts", I came across this [interesting research done a couple of years ago by a fellow shooter on another forum]. If I am reading this correctly, I can achieve the 20moa desired with the 30mm rings and the "+/- .010 Pos-Align offset inserts" that are included with the rings (using them opposite each other in the front and back rings). If this is correct my assessment above about the .020's (using both) would actually produce 40moa approximately. Please tell me if I am reading all of this correctly?
    I got mine at OP and the inserts came with it >>> http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-z...aver-bases.htm

Ring Height: Medium Code: BR-RR-SIGNZee30mm-420588
    MPN: 420588
    UPC: 000381205889

D.ID
    If I remember correctly the 1" comes with them but I had to seek them out for the 30mm.
    If you can't find them: let me know, I have a couple lightly used "retired" sets hear some-wear amongst my misc..

Basic Member
    I have that exact scope on my #12 308. With a 20MOA base and medium Burris Extreme (6 screw) rings, it's as solid a rig as you can get.
    With a 200 yd zero, I'm at 10 MOA elevation setting. (2850 fps) That leaves me plenty of room to reach out further. (if the nut behind the trigger was capable)
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

michaelnel
    I have the Vortex rings for my Vortex Razor HD 5-20. They are a very nice matched set (no lapping needed) and serialized, made by Seekins. Pricey, but worth it.

Basic Member
    I bought part #420588 and they came with (4) zero insert halves and (2) +10 halves and (2) -10 halves...

So, in order to get 20 moa of slope when mounting the scope you would put a +10 halve under the eyepiece end and a -10 over the eyepiece end...
    On the objective end you would put the -10 under the scope and the +10 on top..

I'm sure you get the point..

Here is the link to where I got mine...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351105373219...84.m1497.l2649

DzNutz
    Thank you all very much for all of the advice. I elected to go with the Burris Signature Zee's and I ordered two pair (one for the FCPK and one for the 110 7mm Mag). I did some more digging and found another article and a video (both below) that cover the "how to attain 20+ MOA" with the inserts. The ring placement seems to be key. The closer the rings the more cant you achieve.

ARTICLE: http://www.accurateshooter.com/optic...gnature-rings/

Last edited by DzNutz; 09-07-2014 at 09:32 AM.

romad97
    I have bothe 30mm and 1" and all of mine have come as a package with the +/-10 inserts.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DzNutz View Post
    Thank you all very much for all of the advice. I elected to go with the Burris Signature Zee's and I ordered two pair (one for the FCPK and one for the 110 7mm Mag). I did some more digging and found another article and a video (both below) that cover the "how to attain 20+ MOA" with the inserts. The ring placement seems to be key. The closer the rings the more cant you achieve.

ARTICLE: http://www.accurateshooter.com/optic...gnature-rings/
    Here's another excellent video ...

I like either and or.
    As long as its rock solid and 100% stable 100% of the time?...
    I tossed out rds out to 1K with my HS without the 20moa base with elev. turret run all the way up for a yr. I found an accurate load pushing 150,s @ high 2800,s. Its the only way I could get out that far.
    I believe you could probably get out to 800 easily with no 20 moa base or rings.
    For the life of me?....I dont know why i waited so long to bolt up a 20moa base on my HS.
    either way?.....ya done good!
    Have at it!......good luck!.....proceed with caution though. If you start hitting at 1K, then it becomes an addiction...it never ends!...olololo
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Great videos... I really think you will enjoy the Burris Rings...

Same scope, same rifle. Burris xtr lows with a 20 moa base works great

DzNutz
    Thank you all very much for all the advise on the Burris Z rings on my Savages. They worked great on both with my standard flat non-MOA bases. Both setups put the objective bell closer to the barrel and allowed for increase in elevation and some adjustment for left/right cant.

For the older "Flatback" 110 with the BSA Tactical 6-24x44mm, it allowed me to correct the left/right cant that is pretty common with the older models with the factory drill/tap screws being misaligned (mine was pretty severe and I would run out of left/right windage during zeroing). The ring placement and the offset inserts definitely made it a more long-range setup. The elevation turret is nearly bottomed out at 100yard zero.

For the 10FCPK with the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm, I did not get as much elevation (increased MOA) as I did on the 110 but I did get plenty and was also able to use the inserts to adjust for some left/right cant (not as severe as the older 110 but still a little). For elevation I am not bottomed out at 100 yard Zero but close enough for government work. 15 MOA left down, so out of 65 total I still have 50 up for long range shots. That should do just fine for 1000 yards with this setup. Now just anxious to get out that far with them both.

Tank you all again very much!

Basic Member
    Awesome... Sounds like you really got a lot of benefit from those rings.. Keep us posted on how the continue to perform.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast