Thread: brownells savage replacement barrel kits

Basic Member

brownells savage replacement barrel kits

Curious if anyone tried these? I know the quality will most likely not be there compared to barrel makers like shilen or Pac nor but I was thinking of getting one...its 200 bucks...you get barrel...wrench go and no go gauges and some lube stuff. I figure the wrench and gauges would cost about 100 so you are getting the barrel for 100...if it sucks...lesson learned but if it holds around 1moa out to 500yards with hand loads then great! Thoughts?

More than likely the same kit midway sells in which case they are shaw barrels and dang good ones for the money. Shouldn't have a problem holding moa out to a lot farther than 500.

Basic Member
    It is a shaw kit but blued which is fine, the ones on midway are stainless it looks but theu dont have 300win mag. I might just buy it and see what happens. Would like to convert my current 7mm rem mag to 300win

Basic Member
    You're also going to need an action wrench or barrel vice
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basic Member
    Go to the E Arthu Brown site. broader selection.

Go to northlandshooterssupply at 1-763-682-4296 Jim will get you exactly what you should buy.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    Go to northlandshooterssupply at 1-763-682-4296 Jim will get you exactly what you should buy.
    looks like they sell shilen barrels which although they are great...can take a LONG time and cost a good chunk

Basic Member
    Jim sells Shilen, Criterion and possibly others. He has a lot of barrels in stock, so depending on what you were looking for he may be able to ship in a day or two. Jim is also a very knowledgeable person and great to deal with. We've bought a lot of barrels/actions/tools from Jim and have always been very, very happy. Give him a call, he won't steer you wrong.

At the same time, just picked up a used barrel that was one of the "cheaper" barrels. It was in a round I've always wanted to try so I figured I'd spend the minor amount of money to try it out and if the barrel wasn't awesome but I liked the round I could always spring for a nicer barrel. So far with almost no load development it is shooting around .5" @ 100 yards, haven't stretched it out farther yet but for a hunting rifle it is more than accurate enough.

Best of luck either way.