Thread: Bottom METAL for Axis Magazines

Basic Member

Bottom METAL for Axis Magazines

I was wondering if there's anywhere out there where you can buy a bottom metal, made of metal instead of plastic, that will retain usability with the factory axis mags?

Basic Member
    Nope. SSS Axis stocks have a metal piece for the catch on the mag though unlike the boyd's stocks.

3. 09-04-2014, 05:54 PM
    Reason
    Hijacking - post has nothing to do with original topic

Basic Member
    I love my Axis, but hate the style of the magazine retention. If I was going to upgrade, I would do all of it. Have the stock inletted for a bottom metal and go to AICS mags. Best in the business of the DBM. I'm having a Choate Tactical inletted for CDI Bottom Metal to run on my 6.5-06 build because I want to compete with it and don't 100% trust the Axis style mags.

Pillars are always a good upgrade from what I understand, SSS uses a fancy machined pillar that also supports the magazine in their Laminate Axis Stocks. I'd imagine that they do the same for any rifle using that Axis style mag.

You will likely never see a metal replacement bottom plate for the Axis magazines simply because they would be too expensive and complicated to make. If you want metal your best option is to just order a stock setup for the standard Savage metal hardware and buy the new magazine bottom plate and metal surround.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    You will likely never see a metal replacement bottom plate for the Axis magazines simply because they would be too expensive and complicated to make. If you want metal your best option is to just order a stock setup for the standard Savage metal hardware and buy the new magazine bottom plate and metal surround.
    So what you're saying is the savage model 110 or 10 stock fits the Axis???

Basic Member
    NO! If only it would have been that easy.

Basic Member
    Until someone makes Axis stocks that accept the 10/110 traditional bottom metal, I'm sticking with 10/110's. Personally, I'd rather have a rust-pitted, banged-to-heck pawnshop reject 10/110 than another rifle with the Axis mag. Or, I suppose, I would convert the Axis to single shot.

It wouldn't be too hard to make a blind mag version of the Axis, though loading it would be obnoxious.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Until someone makes Axis stocks that accept the 10/110 traditional bottom metal, I'm sticking with 10/110's.
    I had one in the classifieds for a while...with no takers. Still got it.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Foxx I believe the trophy hunter will accept the metal ones. You just have to keep axis mags and bottom plastic together and 10/110 bottom metal and mags together.

That is my understanding. And the magazines I believe are the same just different end caps installed for retention...

Not entirely sure but I think thats how it is

Basic Member
    Yeah limige, but now the TH stocks are a one piece deal where the "bottom plastic" is molded into the stock. It use to be a separate piece so you could switch-over to the metal versions without a problem. Now you pretty much have to replace the whole stock if you want the 10/110 bottom metal versions.

Basic Member
    Well I said it before and ill say it again.
    My trophy hunter stock is inletted for bottom metal. Anyone wants it pays shipping.

I switched to boyds

Basic Member
    The more expensive route would be to get a Modular Driven Technology stock. The LSS is now available for Axis rifles and will be shipped in February. They take AI mags.

Basic Member
    The MDT Chassis is a very interesting / intriguing option. That might mean I might build a 6.5 cm off of the Axis action.