Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pic Request: Stubby Bull Barrels

Basic Member

Stevens 200 in .308. CBI Light Varmint cut to 16 1/4.
    I've shot plates out to 600yds with it using the Burris MTAC 1-4

Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
    Here she is in her "hunting configuration."

Smaller scope (Weaver Tactical Grand Slam 3-9x40 1" tube)
    Thing of beauty. Guys, these are some wicked looking rifles here. I'm planning on doing the same thing to my first Savage, an Axis my wife bought for me. Going with a Boyd's Heritage stock to pay homage to the fancy hunting rifles I used to lust after as a young one, but with the short barrel and muzzle break for a can. Not sure it will look as sexy with the lightweight barrel, but I want to see what the factory barrel can do before I drop money on a new one. If it don't shoot well, it'll get a fatter tube anyway. Thanks for the inspiration.
    You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

Basic Member
    It's not a bad plan at all. The factory sporter barrel cut short might seem a bit "whippy", but aside from that it should shoot well. You could also look in the marketplace here and find a used factory heavy barrel and cut that for not a ton of cash.

Depending on the stock, there is a good amount of wood to take off and reconfigure for a heavier barrel when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Thing of beauty. Guys, these are some wicked looking rifles here. I'm planning on doing the same thing to my first Savage, an Axis my wife bought for me. Going with a Boyd's Heritage stock to pay homage to the fancy hunting rifles I used to lust after as a young one, but with the short barrel and muzzle break for a can. Not sure it will look as sexy with the lightweight barrel, but I want to see what the factory barrel can do before I drop money on a new one. If it don't shoot well, it'll get a fatter tube anyway. Thanks for the inspiration.

The first stock seemed to have enough meat to go with a little heavier barrel. I just want to try to keep the factory one if I can as it was the first gun my wife ever gave me. She's coming around slowly (to the gun community) for a girl that married a soldier, but she's coming around. I love that Stevens by the way too. How do you like that Burris? You said you hit a pretty good distance out there.
    You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

Basic Member
    Info on this gun please!!
    model,cal etc....

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTBEACH View Post
    Lets see if this works better...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    The first stock seemed to have enough meat to go with a little heavier barrel. I just want to try to keep the factory one if I can as it was the first gun my wife ever gave me. She's coming around slowly (to the gun community) for a girl that married a soldier, but she's coming around. I love that Stevens by the way too. How do you like that Burris? You said you hit a pretty good distance out there.
    The Burris is a good scope for the money and fits the role I intend for it well (<400 yds hunting optic). Today, I'd think about the Primary Arms 1x-6x.

curlymaple42
    Could any or all of you post how much these rifles weigh with those 16"-18" bull barrels? I am going to be building a rifle like this and not sure profile yet but want a handy woods gun and carry my rifle all day every day, no sling. Do not want too heavy. Curious what these weigh.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post

Weighs 9.1 lbs (unloaded, no bipod)

Weighs 9.1 lbs (unloaded, no bipod)
    Unrelated, but I think your scope base is confused. lol

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Unrelated, but I think your scope base is confused. lol
    Well, backwards anyway! I didn't want to have to keep taking it on and off when I was working on the barrel, and I was too lazy to cut the extension off and re-blue it

Well not a bull barrel, but I did keep the fat end of a .308 sporter that was cut to 16" before being threaded and braked. This one was shortened up on both ends and transformed from a model 11GL in .243 on a budget with parts from the classifieds here. Some of the stuff I added needs to be removed as this was supposed to be a lightweight rig and the cheekrest, one piece rail and 3-9x40 are a little more than I had intended when I started. Hopefully a set of 2 piece bases, a lightweight scope and cheekrest removal will happen soon. Still haven't weighed it but it's 37" OAL with the brake, handy and shoots well.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

curlymaple42
    BigHonkinJeep, THAT is what I want!!! I am looking seriously at that Drake Chassis hunter system though. Just trying to keep weight down. Although, if I start doing some weight training before deer season, who cares???

Basic Member
    What is that stock? Like it!

Basic Member

What is that stock?

Quote Originally Posted by curlymaple42 View Post
    BigHonkinJeep, THAT is what I want!!! I am looking seriously at that Drake Chassis hunter system though. Just trying to keep weight down. Although, if I start doing some weight training before deer season, who cares???
    Curly, There was no budget for a chassis on this one it was strictly a budget build as I had time and a few bucks and extra parts on the shelf. I picked up the 10GL in .243 locally for $150 a few years ago. Picked up a couple of takeoff parts, Staggered feed DBM stock with the mag and .308 sporter barrel from a couple of members who had em listed in the classifieds here. ($140) threw another $30-35 at it for hardware store supplies to do the trigger, bolt lift kit, bedding, cheekrest bolts/knobs and paint. Another $5 or so in kydex to make the cheekrest. I found a takeoff brake sitting behind the counter at a local gun shop $30 and spent another $70 getting the barrel threaded for it. Got the EGW rail from a penny auction for $5 plus $5 shipping a while back and had it on the shelf along with a Vortex diamondback 3-9x40 I picked up on clearance sale several years ago and had sitting on the shelf as a backup $150. I went to the local big box and picked up a set of Leupold rifleman rings for $15 a couple of bucks for a nylon sling and swivels and I'm in it optics and all for a little over $600 total.
    Dang fellas It sure didn't feel like I had that much in it when I was scooping all the bargains I could find, grabbing extra parts I had laying around and pinching pennys. LOL
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

curlymaple42
    Huh, so you made the cheek rest out of Kydex eh? I will have to remember that as I make sheaths and holsters out of Kydex so have the stuff laying around to do that with. Sweet!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgarus View Post
    What is that stock?
    Manners EH1 (I jumped on a group buy over at the old Snipershide). If you can afford the time and money, Tom and his crew make amazing stocks. Great customer service to boot!

rtchambers
    Quote Originally Posted by curlymaple42 View Post
    Huh, so you made the cheek rest out of Kydex eh? I will have to remember
    that as I make
    sheaths and holsters out of Kydex so have the stuff laying around to do that with. Sweet!!
    1+

Basic Member
    Since you have a V/T, I thought I would show you mine. She is 18", easy to carry, super easy to shoot, and awesome to load for!!

DK

Last edited by RatMag; 03-15-2015 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Added current pic with changes...
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Basic Member
    16" .460 project

Basic Member
    Does anyone know the largest diameter bull barrel that can be used while still retaining the nut? I have a model 11 hog hunter and my Choate tactical stock has a 1.250" barrel channel that I am looking to fill up.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willyg09 View Post
    Does anyone know the largest diameter bull barrel that can be used while still retaining the nut? I have a model 11 hog hunter and my Choate tactical stock has a 1.250" barrel channel that I am looking to fill up.
    1".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12